The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
BranZ

Question Best way to take cab off 1950 pickup

I want to completely take the pick up down to the frame but I need suggestions on how to take the cab off. I have seen some pictures of a strap running through the cab. Is this okay on this year? The pictures were of a 67 chevrolet pick up. Thanks, BranZ
BranZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:00 AM   #2
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Look Out Below!

I work by myself most of the time. I usually just roll the cab over onto a couple of inflated innertubes or a rolled up carpet or use some old tires. Let gravity work with you. And let it come down SLOW! Removing the doors is a good idea for both the weight involved and to prevent damage to the door skins. My two cents worth, rico_bob

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com

Last edited by rico_bob; 12-16-2003 at 01:07 AM.
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
BranZ

How do you do the body work on it? This is my issue. I do not want to be laying underneath it and try to do body work. That does see to be a pretty easy way of getting it off. Thanks, BranZ
BranZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:09 AM   #4
fleetside72

removal of cab

what i did to mine was roll the truck under a tree limb,,preferably a good oak or maple tree,,under the limb,,,tie a chain onto the limb and a chain hoist onto the chain,,,run some really good straps through the cab and tie to the chain hoist(GO VERY SLOW),,and take your time and have help,,BE CAREFUL!!,,I hope this works for you,,,It did 4 me,,MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!,,Dave
fleetside72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 11:43 AM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

One big problem with the AD cab is that it's heavy. Lifting with one strap through the door openings can easily cause the roof to buckle. Quickest way involves a 12 pack and 3 buddies, one of you on each corner. You can also lift by connecting the straps to the door hinge and striker bolt points. Or jack it with a floor jack, using a piece of plywood to spread out the load, and setting on two 4x4's blocked up and rolling the chassis out from under. Another way is to lift with straps but make a 2x4 box that goes through the top with the 2x4's on edge. By all means get the weight down by removing glass, doors, seat and your dog.

I know of people who have gotten away with lifting with one strap through the top, but have also seen pictures of some who destroyed the cab in the process.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Seon

I too work by myself so I surround myself with tools/equipment that helps alot. Here's how I removed my '57 Burb off the frame .
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:17 PM   #7
kcmongo

I had 6 guys help me when we lifted my 51 extended cab. I had saw horses on either side and once we lifted it up had the wife put 4X4's under it on the saw horses and then rolled the rest out from under it. Then rolled my cab cart under it and we all lowered it back down.

On my 47 I used the single strap method and it worked ok, but this was after removing everything that comes off, off the cab.

Another thing, find a double pallet somewhere, add some wheels and make yourself a cab cart so you can move it around.

I used the double pallet so that I could put some pieces of old rug on the back piece and roll the cab back to work on the floorboards, you might not want to do that on a post 48 cab cause I've heard of them caving in when people do that (the 47-48 cabs didn't have a fuel tank in them so they had an extra brace right down the middle in the back).
Good luck..
MONGO
Old 02-11-2004, 08:05 PM   #8
greatdaen

If you have something to lift the cab with - chain hoist, tractor loader - you might try running a 4x4 or two 2x4's on edge through the door openings and connect your lifting strap to the boards. This eliminates the compressive loads trying to push each side of the cab towards the middle that a strap causes. If you use the two 2x4's, make sure they are lashed together somehow - nails, screws, duct tape.

-dch
greatdaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:54 PM   #9
Ed ke6bnl

Quote:
Originally posted by greatdaen
If you have something to lift the cab with - chain hoist, tractor loader - you might try running a 4x4 or two 2x4's on edge through the door openings and connect your lifting strap to the boards. This eliminates the compressive loads trying to push each side of the cab towards the middle that a strap causes. If you use the two 2x4's, make sure they are lashed together somehow - nails, screws, duct tape.

-dch
I lifted my cab with the strap alone the first time, worked great, but later visited a friend that collapsed the cab some, so the 2nd time I did it with on strap and a 4x4 through the windows and no compression forces, will have if off at least once more on this project Ed ke6bnl This is my Fooord but the same is true of my 53 3100 AD
Attached Images

70 Chevy short bed
1948 F3 ford pu
1949 F1 stock V8 flathead 3 on floor
1950 F1 pu street rod
1948 F6 Ford Dually/350sbc no bed stock trans&rear
1972 El Camino 4" chop
1953 Chevy 3100 2b daily driver
1970 SB 4X4 400ci 6in lift
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote