The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Brad54

NOT "What's it worth." Question is "Is it worth the bother?" GMC Industrial grille?

I mess around with '60-'66 trucks mainly. A shop I know recently did a '57-'59 GMC project, and it came with an "industrial" grill that was heavy duty mesh with a wide border around it.

Was in the junkyard today, and came across another one in a '59.

Is it worth going back and getting, or are they just an interesting conversation piece?

This is NOT a grille guard, it's a factory insert in place of the regular factory grille.

Thanks,
-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: NOT "What's it worth." Question is "Is it worth the bother?" GMC Industrial grill

Any pics?
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
dsraven

Re: NOT "What's it worth." Question is "Is it worth the bother?" GMC Industrial grill

the expanded metal grille was part of the "fleet" option. these fleet 58-59 4 headlight trucks only had 2 headlights and they had the cheaper grille. they also had the chevy style dash in the GMC trucks. made to be a cheaper built truck for industrial applications I guess.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
dsraven

the GMC also had the GMC logo stamped in the chevy style dash. they were probably made for large fleets who wanted all the headlights etc tp be the same, plus, they would run them till they couldn't go any more and they were scrapped. that is why less of them are around.(my opinion). the larger fleets were townships, cities, military and, coca cola. gm put together a cheaper truck to be more competitive in the market.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
dsraven

google 55-59 chevy truck fleet option and see what you get in images.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #6
Brad54

Thanks for the input!
This one has a welding company's name on the door, and has four headlights.
Is the grille worth going back and pulling, and selling, or is it pretty much just a novelty that nobody is interested in?
I ask because if people like them, I'll save it. If there's no interest, I don't need another wall-hanger.

-Brad

Old 03-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
dsraven

i've personally never seen one in the flesh. I kinda like the other stock stuff myself but thats just me. grab it and throw it on ebay, somebody might want it for their man cave if nothin else.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
_Ogre

Quote:
or is it pretty much just a novelty that nobody is interested in
rarely do fleet trucks get rebuilt as fleet trucks, i'd leave it be

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
OrrieG

They are not repoped and with a quick search could not find any for sale, or wanted either. Look inside the truck, the most desirable and hard piece to find is the chevy V dash bezel with a GMC logo instead of the bowtie. Also maybe the GMC radio delete plate. If you can get them for scrap value might be some money to be made over the long run, or cool wall art for someone. Front bumper is unique to the Fleet Option too if it is still there.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
dsraven

you know, throw a short fluorescent or LED light behind that grille and you have a cool workbench light. THAT would sell.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
mr48chev

I'd have to say that if you have the spare change to tie up in it for a long period and a safe place to store it go for it if it all the sudden doesn't turn to gold when you inquire about it. Same with the inside pieces if they are there.

I kind of like Dsraven's idea of using it for a wall hanger with a light behind it until the time someone needs it a lot more than you do. I don't think it wall ever be Ebay bidding war valuable but as we well know on other AD or TF parts there is always that someone hunting a certain part to make their restoration right. That and these fleet trucks usually did have a hard life and the grills most likely suffered the consequences of that.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #12
Brad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
They are not repoped and with a quick search could not find any for sale, or wanted either. Look inside the truck, the most desirable and hard piece to find is the chevy V dash bezel with a GMC logo instead of the bowtie. Also maybe the GMC radio delete plate. If you can get them for scrap value might be some money to be made over the long run, or cool wall art for someone. Front bumper is unique to the Fleet Option too if it is still there.
The front bumper is there. I'll look for the dash and the radio delete plate.
I thought it'd be a good fit if someone was building a NAPCO or just building a tough-looking 4x4 (not necessarily a stock NAPCO).

-Brad

Old 03-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #13
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

I just sold two 55-59 GMC radio delete plates here on the forum. I had to drop the price below what I paid for them in order to sell. I love those Fleet option trucks though!

DAC

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #14
58CameoAZ

Id Buy it and make a Novelty Front End Barbecue and Flip Hamburgers off it!

Instead of a Car BQ, It Could be a Truck BQ.

Allen

No Disrespect at all to the Fleet Purist out there tho. like said they probably had a harder life then any of the Trucks out there!
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote