The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
mhoflin

Windsheild Washer keeps running

Hey there,
I just replaced my wiper motor and switch, intermittent on 81 Silverado C10.
The washer keeps running no matter what it is set to. I turn on the wipers it starts. Anybody got an answer or experienced this?

Thanks,
Marc
SGT., US Army - Disabled
mhoflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
blindbug

Re: Windsheild Washer keeps running

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoflin View Post
Hey there,
I just replaced my wiper motor and switch, intermittent on 81 Silverado C10.
The washer keeps running no matter what it is set to. I turn on the wipers it starts. Anybody got an answer or experienced this?

Thanks,
Marc
SGT., US Army - Disabled
You've got a short somewhere. There is a positive and negative lead to your washer pump (for my 86, it is on the back side of the fluid reservoir). Get a multimeter or a test light and connect the positive side to the positive wire of the pump lead and the negative to ground. If the light comes on, then you are getting power at a time when you shouldn't.

I would check first that the switch is wired correctly... it could just be a case of a wire going to a constant instead of the correct pump switch. Do the same test above, connecting the positive to the wire in your switch and the negative to ground to see if you get the same issue (the light comes on at an inappropriate time). If the light still comes on when the lead is connected directly to your column switch, then you're either using the wrong lead on the column switch, or you have a bad switch.
blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
RedBed

Is it an aftermarket Washer/Wiper motor?

I had to exchange the one I bought 2 or maybe even 3 times because the washer pump would get stuck ON. I finally said SCREW IT and bought a separate universal pump, and hooked it up. No problems since.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:22 AM   #4
bilfman

Had the same issue with an aftermarket one.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:29 AM   #5
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindbug View Post
You've got a short somewhere. There is a positive and negative lead to your washer pump (for my 86, it is on the back side of the fluid reservoir). Get a multimeter or a test light and connect the positive side to the positive wire of the pump lead and the negative to ground. If the light comes on, then you are getting power at a time when you shouldn't.
Not correct.

Why?

The 73-87 GM light truck wiper system switches the ground side of the circuit not the hot side.
The power leads on the Wiper and Washer connectors are circuit 93 in the GM wiring diagrams. These wires are always hot with the ignition on. From 79-91 circuit 93 should be the White wires.
This is my detailed post on wiper wiring in a steering column swap thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...40&postcount=8

That being said. The washer ground wire from the switch is circuit 94 in all of the 73-91 GM squarebody wiring diagrams.
Check whether the ground wire on the washer connector ( from 79-91 it's Pink ) is shorted to ground using a meter set to resistance or continuity. Attach one lead to the washer ground wire and the other to the block or some other suitable ground. If the meter reads less than infinity or it buzzes in continuity you have a short in the washer wire. Be alert. You'll let the smoke out of your meter if you hook it between the White ignition power lead and the block with the ignition on.
If you have continuity from the switched washer ground wire and the block then you have a short in that wire. If you don't then you have a borked wiper motor. It would not surprise me to hear the motor was not properly re-assembled by the re-builder.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 08-29-2018 at 11:08 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
blindbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Not correct.

Why?

The 73-87 GM light truck wiper system switches the ground side of the circuit not the hot side.
The power leads on the Wiper and Washer connectors are circuit 93 in the GM wiring diagrams. These wires are always hot with the ignition on. From 79-91 circuit 93 should be the White wires.
This is my detailed post on wiper wiring in a steering column swap thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...40&postcount=8

That being said. The washer ground wire from the switch is circuit 94 in all of the 73-91 GM squarebody wiring diagrams.
Check whether the ground wire on the washer connector ( from 79-91 it's Pink ) is shorted to ground using a meter set to resistance or continuity. Attach one lead to the washer ground wire and the other to the block or some other suitable ground. If the meter read less than infinity or it buzzes in continuity you have a short in the washer wire. Be alert. You'll let the smoke out of your meter if you hook it between the White ignition power lead and the block with the ignition on.
If you have continuity from the switched washer ground wire and the block then you have a short in that wire. If you don't then you have a borked wiper motor. It would not surprise me to hear the motor was not properly re-assembled by the re-builder.
Damn, even the washer uses that backwards positive / ground setup? I know that a lot of the interior parts did that (the dome light / door switch, for instance) but didn't think that the washer pump did the same. The more you know!!!

I've been a car audio fanatic for 20 years, so know the electronics and wiring side of things well. I have to almost throw all of that out the window with the C10 due to the way grounds are used in switches and how everything wants to run through the fuseblock.
blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
mhoflin

Thank you very much for all the help. In answer to the posts:

1: No, no short - I explain below
2: yes, it is aftermarket and it is the second one.

RedBed - I will never buy another aftermarket one again. I checked all the wiring and it is all good. The issue is that the parts inside do not seem to be made correctly. I ran it with the cover off and found that between the magnetic switch that activates it and the cam which is supposed to run a cycle do not match which makes the washer run continuously because the cycle of the cam does not complete and gets stuck not being able to turn the cam to complete it. Again, I will never buy another aftermarket again. I went to a junkyard and bought one that works and if I need to buy one in the future, I will opt for an authentic AC Delco.
As for what blindbug said, I too believe that it was not properly re-assembled by the re-builder.
Moral of the story; if you buy an aftermarket, do not expect it to be like new or even built correctly, it probably isn't.

Thanks again to all,
Marc
SGT., US Army - Disabled

Ma
Old 08-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
RedBed

If you have the problem again, you can just bypass the washer pump and install one of these:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...her+pump&pos=2

It has worked well for me.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
mhoflin

Thanks, we'll do.

Thank you and God Bless you,
Marc
SGT., US Army - Disabled
Old 08-31-2018, 03:47 AM   #10
hatzie

85 and later used a pump in the reserviour. It's mostly a drop in update. I went that route on my 76 but I wasn't doing a restoration.
The pump-on-motor washer pumps were not terribly reliable. Way too complex with a lot of moving parts.

You do have to extend the washer wires and terminate them with a two position Packard 56 plug but the reserviour is easy to fit.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
Robert Crandall

I had that problem with my 1978. It took weeks of looking, but I finally figured out the problem is mechanical. There is a wheel with a cam that operates with the windshield wiper motor. You activate the washer, the wheel makes one revolution, and a cam turns the pump off. On mine the cam is worn, so instead of turning the pump off, it bypasses the pump switch. The only fix was to buy a new windshield wiper motor, which I will not do until I need one for the wipers. I let it pump dry maybe 20 years ago, and never filled the water bottle. It may still pump when the wipers are on.
Robert Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote