The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
MalibuSSwagon

Re: 1986 Short bed 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
You've done a very nice job! I like that graphite paint on the intake.
Thank you. I think I may paint the alternator to match.

IT RUNS! Once I put the distributor in the correct location, and replaced the incorrect fuel pump relay with an OEM fan relay.

Runs like hell! At a nice healthy ozone depleting 10:1 A/F ratio! lol. Mostly because I started with a stock 350 AUJP tune and modified it slightly for a 305. Guess I need to turn down those fuel maps.

Oh yea also need to adjust the valves again. But the cam is broken in!
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #27
MalibuSSwagon

Well after resolving a couple of mechanical issues, and some electrical issues, its alive.

I replaced the cap and rotor to solve a no spark on 2 cylinders. Adjusted valve lash per factory procedure.

Now I was getting a solid check engine light, no diagnostic mode and rev limited to 4k rpm. After checking all my pinouts, did a bit of diagnostic on the memcal. Re-did the big ground on the back of the head. Nothing. Replaced the computer with a used re-maned Delco from an 88 Corsica. I used the V6 memcal in the computer, and the ecu checked out. I could run diag mode and pull codes. Awesome. So I put in my hacked memcal and gave it a try. Back to the same old issues. Ah ha, issue is with my soldering on the chip socket. Resoldered all the joints, guess what? ECU is normal, not stuck in limp mode no more!

After disabling the anti-theft, it fired right up. Running a stock 92 Z28 w/ G92 option tune; this tune is more aggressive to work with the higher lift cam installed with that package. Still needs work to agree with my RV cam. However once closed loop kicked in, smooth running. So much more power than before, I can spin the tires all the way thru first, on gravel anyways. I am onto the tuning portion once I get my ALDL datalogging cable.

Also finally found a seat for the truck to replace those terrible Mitsubishi seats. Found this in a 1998 Caddy Fleetwood Limited.

Heated, full power split bench. Only a tiny bit of wear on the drivers side. The cup holder hides away in the arm rest when not needed. Oh yea thats right I'll finally have cup holders! Pulled the set from the pickapart for $50.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #28
MalibuSSwagon

Updates:

Working on finalizing the tune. Then its off to the shop for a new exhaust.

Got the Caddy seats mounted, they are nice. Need to tweak the mounts as I'm not happy with the seating position. My measurements were also off so there is quite a gap between the seats, need to build a console to close the gap.

I am considering a rear gear change and overdrive transmission after these things are accomplished. Also a rear spring upgrade as well, either overload springs or new HD spring packs.

Once I get a house, I am going to put this apart for rust repair and paint. really only needs new cab corners, rest of the sheet metal is solid
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #29
MalibuSSwagon

Found out I don't like leather, sweaty ass sucks! Looking for Suburban buckets and console.

Picked up a 2WD NV4500 for 350 today, guy in town was selling it. Its a rebuild with 3k miles on it out of a 96 1 ton diesel. Got the shifter, but sadly no bellhousing.

The VSS was also included.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #30
MalibuSSwagon

found this unicorn for a steal today.

Gauge cluster with tach out of a 85 C60 w/ V8 gas engine. I already cleaned everything up, housing is painted with chrome paint and ready to install the speedo and oil gauge from the pickup cluster.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #31
MalibuSSwagon

Hybrid cluster completed! Installed my original speedo, and oil pressure gauge into the tach cluster case. Used the original bezel and lens as well. Plugged it in, wired up the tach and it works! No re-pinning needed.

Also I used the SES light and "overspeed" lens from the C60.

I should mention I did not pin these lights into the cluster, rather I used GM marker lamp holders wired separately into the TPI ECM. The "Overspeed" light will be my shift light . Sadly this leaves me without a "brake" warning lamp. Working on that one.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
kalbert

Great find! Every truck around here seems to already have the cluster harvested from it.

Wouldn't worry too much about not having a brake light... You'll know if the brakes don't work . Only thing maybe is if you somehow have a parking brake that works it might be nice to have the light...
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
SS Delux

Did you use the original printed circuit board or the C65 one ?
SS Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
Great find! Every truck around here seems to already have the cluster harvested from it.

Wouldn't worry too much about not having a brake light... You'll know if the brakes don't work . Only thing maybe is if you somehow have a parking brake that works it might be nice to have the light...
I'm going to put a round LED in the middle between the speedo and tach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Delux View Post
Did you use the original printed circuit board or the C65 one ?
I used the C60 printed circuit
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #35
legendman

Kick ass, nice job so far.
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
ont_guy_38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
Well after resolving a couple of mechanical issues, and some electrical issues, its alive.

I replaced the cap and rotor to solve a no spark on 2 cylinders. Adjusted valve lash per factory procedure.

Now I was getting a solid check engine light, no diagnostic mode and rev limited to 4k rpm. After checking all my pinouts, did a bit of diagnostic on the memcal. Re-did the big ground on the back of the head. Nothing. Replaced the computer with a used re-maned Delco from an 88 Corsica. I used the V6 memcal in the computer, and the ecu checked out. I could run diag mode and pull codes. Awesome. So I put in my hacked memcal and gave it a try. Back to the same old issues. Ah ha, issue is with my soldering on the chip socket. Resoldered all the joints, guess what? ECU is normal, not stuck in limp mode no more!

After disabling the anti-theft, it fired right up. Running a stock 92 Z28 w/ G92 option tune; this tune is more aggressive to work with the higher lift cam installed with that package. Still needs work to agree with my RV cam. However once closed loop kicked in, smooth running. So much more power than before, I can spin the tires all the way thru first, on gravel anyways. I am onto the tuning portion once I get my ALDL datalogging cable.

Also finally found a seat for the truck to replace those terrible Mitsubishi seats. Found this in a 1998 Caddy Fleetwood Limited.

Heated, full power split bench. Only a tiny bit of wear on the drivers side. The cup holder hides away in the arm rest when not needed. Oh yea thats right I'll finally have cup holders! Pulled the set from the pickapart for $50.
You ever get the seats installed , interested in how they look in there.

1985 C10
2004 Avalanche
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #37
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont_guy_38 View Post
You ever get the seats installed , interested in how they look in there.
I did get them installed, there is a 10 inch gap between the seats but they are pretty much buckets anyways. They are really comfortable, I'll have to get pics.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #38
MalibuSSwagon

Sorry its been awhile, I've just been distracted.

Terrible pic of seats in the truck

In other news:

Sold the NV4500 in December. I got laid off so it didn't seem wise to spend $1k to swap in a transmission I didn't need (still have 2.73 rear gears). On the bright side, sold it for $50 more than I paid for it.

Decided that I hated the wiring harness I made for it, it was a Camaro harness so it was way too long, most of it coiled up under the dashboard. So I pulled it all out and build a new harness. Also made a proper mount for my MAP sensor, its now hanging off the side of the plenum. Cleaned up the engine bay by mounting the fuel pump relay, ESC module, and fuses under the dash.

I suspected for a while that my Innovate LC-1 was not exactly accurate and may be causing some of my tuning issues. The LC-1 was also providing the narrowband signal to the computer. Some internet searching confirmed my suspicion, so I removed it and installed the OEM o2 sensor I bought for this project. My fears were confirmed when I fired it up; without changing the tune that was running ok before, the truck was spewing black smoke out the tailpipe and running rough as hell. WTF. Now if my laptop would just boot up, I could get a proper tune on this thing. Anyone wanna buy a lightly used LC-1?

Hmm....what else? Oh yes I installed electric fans today. I got a dual fan setup out of a Ford Windstar, apparently both fans together flow 4400 CFM. I figured that was enough. :p Plus, after some trimming, they fit the stock rad quite well. I'll have a writeup coming soon. I'm hoping to gain 1 mpg with that setup installed, plus clears space in front for a future supercharger install.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #39
Tdubbyount

I am sooo totally freakin jealous of that gauge cluster! Those arent easy to come by. I picked up a 1980 factory tach cluster a while back, but the housing totally fell apart on me. workin on tracking one of those down now.

Great work on the TPI! I like that idea. I think im gonna stick with the new Holley avenger for now though haha

1957 Chevy long stepper...not sure what I'm doing with that one yet. Awaiting funds I suppose.
Tdubbyount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #40
MalibuSSwagon

Wired up the fans, and got a stock Camaro tune loaded on the ECU. Runs amazing!

That is actually the 2nd tach cluster I found. I found an older mid 70's one, sold it because the tach didn't work, and I didn't like the style of the gauges.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #41
MalibuSSwagon

Big things been happening to the little truck. Picked up a set of nice 89 Suburban buckets and a console few weeks ago. In gray no less. Now my interior is black, gray, and red. Could be worse.

Today, well 40 mins ago, picked up a set of 5 15x8 rallies for a screaming deal of $85. Came with a set of tires, but they are dryrotted sadly.

I'll see if I can find the GF's camera and get you guys some pics.

Biggest news, is I'm prepping the truck for paint. Hopefully in a week or two it will have a fresh coat of Blitz Black.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
MalibuSSwagon

Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #43
MalibuSSwagon

Sub seats.

Redid my wasted door panel with spray-on bedliner. Looks new, you can barely see the chips in the plastic.

Installed the 80 PSI oil gauge from the C70 cluster

the hole near the light switch is going to be rounded out to install a boost gauge for...

M90 supercharger
Old 06-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #44
MalibuSSwagon

My $50 score today:

Hooker Super Comp longtube headers.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #45
SkinnyG

You can clean those headers up easy using electrolysis!

Get a big Rubbermaid bin, fill it with water and about a 1/4 cup of Arm & Hammer washing soda.

Drop a piece of scrap steel in the solution (old brake rotors or rebar work great), connected it to Positive (+) on your battery charger.

Suspend the header in the solution (don't touch the scrap steel), connected it to Negative (-) on your batter charger.

Turn the charger on and walk away. Come back a day or two later, and all the rust will have come off.

Rinse, dry, and BBQ paint!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #46
MalibuSSwagon

Thanks for the tip, I had forgotten about electrolysis! I just need to get these cleaned up, and add o2 sensor bungs and flanges to the collectors.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #47
96twodoor

any updates?
96twodoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #48
MalibuSSwagon

I cracked a wheel some time ago apparently.

otherwise, having a suspension issue. Grinding noise on the right front when turning left. I believe it's a bad wheel bearing. Not sure.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #49
MalibuSSwagon

Rally wheels done! Had to sandblast them, the bead surfaces were in really bad shape. Filled the bad pitting with metal body filler, sanded smooth by hand ugh. Finished the faces with VHT Argent Silver wheel paint. It laid out pretty nice, hoping it'll endure all 4 seasons.

Did the barrels in hammertone paint I had lying around, didn't even bother to prep the inside, just knocked off the big chunks of roadtar with the end of the can before spraying lol

Now looking to pickup some new tires today. I can get a good deal on some General Grabber AT2's, so I think thats the plan.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #50
MalibuSSwagon

Good news, got some new tires.

Bad news, might have hurt the old 305 towing today. Running a bit rough, little low on power, and a bit of smoke at idle. We'll see...