The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
s10blaster

dilema:thoughts on a c20 converted to c10's worth

Hi everyone, I'm still on the hunt for a truck and have come across a c20 converted to a c10 (ie. suspension swapped out with a 70's c10) ...and has also been converted from a long bed to a short bed.

Does the fact its a c20 originally affect its worth or its resale value?
I've never owned a c10/classic chevy truck and don't want too many hassles if I ever have to sell in the future for any financial reasons etc.
Or does it make no difference? since its pretty much a c10 now anyway?

Thanks in advance for your opinions or thoughts. I know I overthink things but just am new to the whole classic truck thing.

Cheers.
s10blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: dilema:thoughts on a c20 converted to c10's worth

seems like everybody gets wrapped up in originality....unless its a 100% stock nut and bolt truck, to me the changes don't mean a whole lot if done correctly...it might have some affect on price but I would think it would be minimal.. after these trucks have been around for 50-60 yrs its not likely theyre going to still be all original anyway...
I look at it from the standpoint of if its what you want and the price is fair then go for it....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 04-10-2018 at 05:26 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Popcorn W

(what he said)
Unless you're one of those "numbers matching" kinda guys, I'd say it makes no difference as long as it was done right.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659205
"I love the smell of grinding metal"
Popcorn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Short 3/4

Buy something that you can afford and that makes you happy. If you want a good investment I would suggest talking to the people a Vanguard. Consider this expense like a cross between a nice vacation and a new kitchen appliance, you will get some nice memories and you can also get some work out of it.
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Ditto to the replies.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
oem4me

If you've ever owned a vehicle which required a lot of time undoing ill conceived or poorly executed
"improvements" by previous owners, you'll know why it's always better to start with an untouched survivor. Make fun of the numbers matching crowd if you want, but this approach is based on good common sense, not pointless fanaticism.
Quality of work done is key, otherwise just assume that a truck that has been completely bastardized is going to be of less value down the road.

Last edited by oem4me; 04-10-2018 at 07:37 PM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Get what makes you happy! Compete with yourself and not the neighbor down the street.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
350TacoZilla

First to the OP if the conversion is done nice it shouldnt make a big difference on resell unless you try to sell it as an original numbers matching truck or something down the rd. If just comparing value of 2 modded trucks with only difference in build being 1 a c10 and one being c20 converted to c10 the difference is going to be minuscule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
If you've ever owned a vehicle which required a lot of time undoing ill conceived or poorly executed
"improvements" by previous owners, you'll know why it's always better to start with an untouched survivor. Make fun of the numbers matching crowd if you want, but this approach is based on good common sense, not pointless fanaticism.
Quality of work done is key, otherwise just assume that a truck that has been completely bastardized is going to be of less value down the road.
I can definitely see your outlook on this and after spending hours just redoing wiring on someone else's handiwork I get it but... There are less and less "untouched survivor" trucks out there and if your going the custom route anyhow why pay the premium for one of those trucks just to then throw that numbers matching value away. (not to mention the backlash from the numbers matching crowd) Obviously if the truck is a complete hack job or if it is done well but completely not the style your going you can walk away but if its build is a good starting point for your idea of custom it isn't a bad idea to start with something that already has some work done.

I think its impossible to say if a truck is a good starting point for someone else's build or not unless they totally lay out what they want it to look like/drive like and what function it is going to preform.Case in point is I had the chance to buy a very well put together lowered c10 years ago, it wasnt a show piece but it was nice. Problem was the frame had been cut and modded to accept rear 4link and bags so it could lay frame along with mild body drop, auto trans and newer ifs front with rack and pinion steering. I would need to unbolt the body of that truck and throw the rest away (actually would sell it all obviously) and just start with the cab/clip and bed, at that point starting with a semi hacked up project from someone else that was already manual trans and was on a newer 4x4 would suit my build better so I would go that route even if cost of initial trucks were similar unless I knew I could sell the unused parts for a good sized return to offset the upfront investment.

So what are you looking for in a truck OP? I think that is the best place to start. If the truck that you are looking at is converted well and it is the direction you are going anyhow it might be worth it.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:26 AM   #9
s10blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
First to the OP if the conversion is done nice it shouldnt make a big difference on resell unless you try to sell it as an original numbers matching truck or something down the rd. If just comparing value of 2 modded trucks with only difference in build being 1 a c10 and one being c20 converted to c10 the difference is going to be minuscule.

So what are you looking for in a truck OP? I think that is the best place to start. If the truck that you are looking at is converted well and it is the direction you are going anyhow it might be worth it.

An excellent discussion going on in here!

And I totally agree... it does come down to as you put it "what am I looking for in a truck?". Definitely the best place for me to start....

...and its what I am having a bit of difficulty in deciding. I never did consider a rat rod looking truck but this one catches my eye...its not what I was originally considering and I can't work out whether or not I'm just getting too impatient in my search for a truck or whether or not I will be completely happy with a truck that has this different look to what I originally was looking for (which was a nice drivable truck with a good paint job , in good condition, needing very minimal work)...

I don't at all mind some modifications and not concerned with numbers matching at all ... (at least I know that much) was just more concerned with the whole c20, c10, thing ... and resell if I wasn't happy with a rat rod look.

Thanks so much for everyones replies...has totally helped me !!
s10blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Couldn't agree more to this. My 64 Chevy was an untouched survivor and my 64 GMC and 66 Chevy had many "improvements" which were some of the stupidest cluster screw ups I have seen yet.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

but how many (untouched survivor) trucks are still out there....I'm betting not many...and then the barrett jackson watching crowd thinks that makes em gold plated. ...
bottom line ..find what you like and go with it......you didn't mention (rat rod) in your first post....that can mean anything goes...I've seen some socalled ratrods I would be scared to just sit in...much less drive down the road...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #12
ImpalaJim

Quote:
Its all in what you like and us bastards need love to
ImpalaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Check where you live. DMV fee are usually based on the weight rating when it comes to trucks. Even if you convert it to a C10 (1/2), the VIN record will always show it as a C20. In CA, the weight penalty on a 3/4 ton truck can be several hundred dollars in your annual renewal.

Just something else to consider.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
CousinTone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Check where you live. DMV fee are usually based on the weight rating when it comes to trucks. Even if you convert it to a C10 (1/2), the VIN record will always show it as a C20. In CA, the weight penalty on a 3/4 ton truck can be several hundred dollars in your annual renewal.

Just something else to consider.
I can hardly wait. I've got a 64 C20 that was just inspected by CHP for VIN so I could register the truck. It's so old and sat so long, its got the small, 6x6 inch, or so, pink slip and out of the DMV system sitting in the last farm around our area in North Orange County. The family were friends and I got the pick of the litter, took 3 and got great deal. Ended up keeping the 64, but my wife hates the ride/stiffness and we all know, happy wife happy life...the kids love it as is!! So i'm gathering parts to get it to ride softer and I'm going C10 but keeping all the 20 items if ever needed or I sell the truck.

The registration for my driver, 03 Suburban went up from about $100 to $175 this past year. Add in the new gas tax, potential of an additional 63 cents a gallon and almost 10% sales tax, no wonder it's a stampede to get out of here. Only savior, I live 1/2 hour from both Classic, Brothers, POL and literally a mile from CPP. I save a boat load on shipping! In any case, do what makes you and if you're married (I advise against it actually) your wife happy. Screw what others think about YOUR piece of history. Enjoy your truck............
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
hotrodder

Well you could always go to Barrett-Jackson and pay somewhere around $75- $100k, for a numbers matching, let it sit cause it is too nice to drive, or buy a truck like that and drive the sh&t out of it and have a good time. Only numbers that need to match are the ones on the check to the ones in your bank account.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #16
The Rocknrod

If your going to have fun building it and driving it then there is no price you can put on it. If your looking to make money or concern with what it will be worth latter then this is probably not the hobby you want to be in.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Pinchecharlie

I bought a shortened truck because I just didn't care to much. Now I realize that it would've been better to do it myself to get the mock up of everything the way that I personally wanted it. I basically have un done and redone everything I bought. No big deal cause I like it but it was wasted money to be honest. So the mods are only as good as they are done for you. If I do another one I am going to buy everything in pieces or a as factory stock truck as i can find. Because if it's getting screwed up I want to do it wrong myself lol. If you want a nice truck you have to buy as nice a one as you can I think . In hind sight a 10k dollar trucks cheaper than a 500 dollar one.
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #18
69 C10 LWB

In the end it will be your truck and you should do whatever makes you happy. If you start with an original truck and change it someone will be mad. If it’s a truck that’s already been converted and you want to sell it then someone like me might not want it ( I like work trucks not show trucks).

I agree with others that the most important thing would be if you buy a truck that has already been converted make sure the work was done properly or that you can fix what has been done. And then drive it and enjoy it whether it is a c10,20 or 30 it’s all about having fun.
69 C10 LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #19
shp4man

My 2 cents to the OP is if you want a C10, buy a C10. There are different ways to build a truck, for sure.
I think the easiest way to get driving down the road is buy a relatively stock truck and just repair what's there.
See if you can beat the damn flippers to some older gentleman's retired vehicle. That's the "holy grail" to me.
Its still going to cost way more than you thought to fix it up. Trust me.