The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
msg

How to get the spring in to the front suspension?

Is a spring compressor the best way in this case? Ive got a front end that I am rebuilding and I finally have the control arms in and was about to install the coil and spindle but Im having a clearance issue. Ive seen videos where the coil is placed in and a floor jack is used, but Ive got the jack stands pretty high and I dont think Ill be able to use the floor jack method. I rented a spring compressor but the tool looks like it will be too tall once installed to even get it in and removed afterwards. I saw in the manual where it shows a different tool, I guess that the safest and only way at this point? Im really nervous about having this frame jacked up any higher to get clearance. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
nsb29

Re: How to get the spring in to the front suspension?

You don’t have enough wait to use a jack without engine you need to find the correct spring compressor or make one
Old 10-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
rws1012

I had the same problem with my coil spring. I bought an internal compressor but the bolt stuck up too high after I compressed it. I took the spring and put the top of it up in the pocket. Next I forced the bottom part into the lower control arm. Next I put my floor jack under the lower control arm. Kind of tuff with no help around . LOL!! Next I put the front bucket of my tractor on the frame. Jacked it up and hooked up spindle to the ball joints. I had the front clip off of my truck and motor was out. Good luck.
rws1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:35 AM   #4
dracko

I was in the same boat and couldn’t find an easy way to do it. I ended up using an internal spring compressor like the picture. Problem was, every time I got the spring compressed enough the sucker would slip and the spring would pop and scare the hell out of me. I ended up putting the compressor on and marking where they need to sit with a sharpie and I put a blob of weld there to keep it from slipping. It worked and didn’t seem to affect the spring tension at all. You should be able to drop the extra threaded portion through the hole in the LCA. Get the ball joint installed and then release the tension.
Attached Images

dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:38 AM   #5
jeff_wilson70

I installed mine by building a brace out of 2x4's. One screwed in to the joists of the garage ceiling. (make sure it is long enough to hits the joists outside of your verticals) two verticals and another one across the frame. Then used a jack to raise the lower control arm into place until I could get the ball joint castle nuts on. From your pics...you will need to raise the truck up a bit to get the jack under the lower ca.
jeff_wilson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
You don’t have enough wait to use a jack without engine you need to find the correct spring compressor or make one
Thank you for pointing that out, I am glad I stopped and waited for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws1012 View Post
I had the same problem with my coil spring. I bought an internal compressor but the bolt stuck up too high after I compressed it. I took the spring and put the top of it up in the pocket. Next I forced the bottom part into the lower control arm. Next I put my floor jack under the lower control arm. Kind of tuff with no help around . LOL!! Next I put the front bucket of my tractor on the frame. Jacked it up and hooked up spindle to the ball joints. I had the front clip off of my truck and motor was out. Good luck.
I had wondered about the internal compressors and the bolt that would be extending too high like you said. Definitely a toughie here for me with no help either. Might have to call in a favor or create one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
You should be able to drop the extra threaded portion through the hole in the LCA. Get the ball joint installed and then release the tension.
If I have it right..the steps would be to compress with the tool while its out and then place it in the controls arms. Then install the Upper ball joint bolt through the top of the spindle and install the nut. Then through the base of the lower control arm access the bottom of the compressor with the socket and loosen? Then once its all in place work the 3 parts of the tool out? The threaded bolt through the base hole and the other parts through the gaps in the coil?

Dropping the extra threaded portion through the bottom puzzles me. Wouldnt I need the fitting end so I can get the socket on it?

I wondered if this type of compressor is the one to use? If I go this route I can check around to see if Autozone or Advance can rent this type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson70 View Post
I installed mine by building a brace out of 2x4's. One screwed in to the joists of the garage ceiling. (make sure it is long enough to hits the joists outside of your verticals) two verticals and another one across the frame. Then used a jack to raise the lower control arm into place until I could get the ball joint castle nuts on. From your pics...you will need to raise the truck up a bit to get the jack under the lower ca.
Thanks Jeff.
Ill have to check the lumber pile on this one, good to have as an option.

Another thought was to use ratcheting tie down straps and loop them around the base of the floor jack and over the top of the upper control arm and crank it up against the straps banding pressure. All options scare the heck out of me really. With the entire frame and cab on 4 jack stands this is making the pucker factor pretty high.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
SkinnyG

If you cut a couple coils off, they go in real easy. Just saying (grin).
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
dracko

Quote:
If I have it right..the steps would be to compress with the tool while its out and then place it in the controls arms. Then install the Upper ball joint bolt through the top of the spindle and install the nut. Then through the base of the lower control arm access the bottom of the compressor with the socket and loosen? Then once its all in place work the 3 parts of the tool out? The threaded bolt through the base hole and the other parts through the gaps in the coil?
Yeah I compressed them out of the truck and then set them in place, (felt like I was handling a bomb). I’m trying hard to recall all the steps, but I think I had to use a flat wrench to take the pressure off. I remember it being tedious and aggravating.

That compressor you picked might be better for not slipping.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
wfojon
Chevy guy

Hi
I put the floor jack under the lower arm and take a length of chain and loop it under the jack and over the top spring pocket. Then when you jack up the lower arm everything is contained and just bolt up the spindle.
Jon
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
If you cut a couple coils off, they go in real easy. Just saying (grin).
There was that thought, sure would be easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
Yeah I compressed them out of the truck and then set them in place, (felt like I was handling a bomb). I’m trying hard to recall all the steps, but I think I had to use a flat wrench to take the pressure off. I remember it being tedious and aggravating.

That compressor you picked might be better for not slipping.
It would have that time bomb feel, scares the heck out of me. I got the tie down straps to work, still felt risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfojon View Post
Hi
I put the floor jack under the lower arm and take a length of chain and loop it under the jack and over the top spring pocket. Then when you jack up the lower arm everything is contained and just bolt up the spindle.
Jon
Thanks Jon, I didnt have any chain but had a few tie down straps. My buddy Vince was the one to recommend it and it worked! If I had chain I wouldve done that for sure.

Heres what it looked like, my neighbor helped out and we both survived.
Attached Images