The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
51 3600

Couple dash questions

Need some info/suggestions regarding a couple of dash modifications I'm making on my '51 3600.

1) I would like to change the 55(57) incandescent bulbs in the speedo and cluster gauge to LED bulbs such as:
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Bright-.../dp/B075MBSVZP
Could use some recommendations as to source. Also I see various bulbs listed as 120 lumens, 300 lumens, etc. How bright is too bright unless of course they are dimmable.

2) I don't need an ashtray anymore but want to keep the door at least for aesthetic reasons. Any of you have some creative uses for that space?

As always thanks in advance for any help.

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Couple dash questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 3600 View Post
Need some info/suggestions regarding a couple of dash modifications I'm making on my '51 3600.

1) I would like to change the 55(57) incandescent bulbs in the speedo and cluster gauge to LED bulbs such as:
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Bright-.../dp/B075MBSVZP
Could use some recommendations as to source. Also I see various bulbs listed as 120 lumens, 300 lumens, etc. How bright is too bright unless of course they are dimmable.

2) I don't need an ashtray anymore but want to keep the door at least for aesthetic reasons. Any of you have some creative uses for that space?

As always thanks in advance for any help.
I removed the tray and welded the lid to the speaker grille. I then put hinges on the bottom of the grille so you pull on the ash tray handle to open the grille and use the stereo that was behind the grille.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:57 AM   #3
mr48chev

I like Brian's Idea. Another option would be to use it as a hiding spot for a power port or connection for auxiliary input for the head unit. Two of my OT rigs have usb ports to put a stick in or other auxiliary USB source. That beats the tar out of carrying a box of CDs in the rig.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
51 3600

Both good ideas. Kinda partial to the USB and power port idea. Will have to do some studying on where to get the materials and how to hook it up.
Still open to other ideas and input on the LEDs.

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
JdavUGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I removed the tray and welded the lid to the speaker grille. I then put hinges on the bottom of the grille so you pull on the ash tray handle to open the grille and use the stereo that was behind the grille.

Brian
Any more pics, description on what you did? I've been thinking of doing something similar.
JdavUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdavUGA View Post
Any more pics, description on what you did? I've been thinking of doing something similar.
I have only a few pics and can't find them! It was really pretty plain, did this back in the late seventies when I was about 20 years old so it wasn't too complicated.

I made a holder for the stereo, are you ready for this, out of a baking pan. It was about a two inch deep baking pan that was the exact size of the holes across the dash. I welded tabs on them to bolt to the dash, I think the bolts went though the dash behind the grille so when the grille was closed you couldn't see them. I had a bracket on the back of the stereo to the firewall to support it as I remember.

I removed the ash tray from the lid of the ash tray. I welded the lid from the back side to the grille. I cut off the studs from the mouldings at the top and bottom of the grille leaving them only about an eighth inch long and put a flat nut on them. I welded a little hinge on the bottom at each side then screwed that hinge to the dash.

I held it at the top with magnets from a cabinet door. LOL They were on the baking pan and the flat piece that would have been on the cabinet door was spot welded to the grille as I remember.

It worked like a charm, drove it for years and it never fell open or anything like that.

I am not saying to do it exactly like that, but it worked for me.

Brian

Old 09-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
MARTINSR

I did this one to put a stereo in my 65 Buick Gran Sport. I got a regular under dash stereo holder and then made this gauge mount to cover it up with hinges at the bottom. I got three SW gauges at the wrecking yard and cut the fronts off.

I didn't want anyone to see the stereo being it was a convertible and to get in would be damn easy. I did this and ran it for years.

I don't have a photo of it installed so that's me holding it under the dash just for the photo. But that is where it was bolted for years. I still have that one, couldn't get rid of it, worked to well.

Brian
Attached Images