The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2020, 09:43 PM   #251
zicc1835

Re: NJ Suburban

looking good ......
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #252
HO455
Post Whore

Nice work. You've come a long ways.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:57 PM   #253
pwdcougar

Inside done with base. Clear going on tomorrow!
Attached Images

1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #254
pwdcougar

It's been fun doing mechanical work for a change instead of body work! Drive shafts rebuilt with new universal joints. Also new transfer case output shaft seals and speedy sleeves.
Attached Images

1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 01-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #255
Average Joe

Nice work sir!!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #256
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
It's been fun doing mechanical work for a change instead of body work! Drive shafts rebuilt with new universal joints. Also new transfer case output shaft seals and speedy sleeves.

I think I would rather do body work....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #257
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I think I would rather do body work....

LockDoc
Leon I've been fighting with the quarters on the truck for over a year. Believe me this is a welcome change!

Paul
Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 PM   #258
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Leon I've been fighting with the quarters on the truck for over a year. Believe me this is a welcome change!

Paul

If it has been that long I guess it would be...

LockDoc

-
Old 01-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #259
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
If it has been that long I guess it would be...

LockDoc
Old 01-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #260
pwdcougar

Sandblasted and painted the shift levers. The np205 transfer case shifter has bushings that aren't available anymore. After some research I made a "wet bolt" for the pivot shaft. I took out a 7/16 x 2 1/4" bolt that had lots of rust. The bolt has a small hole drilled along it's length and then through the side with a grease zerk tapped into the head. This will allow the pivot to be greased. The local hardware store didn't have nylon washers so I made some from a plastic milk crate and a hole saw.

Paul
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #261
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Sandblasted and painted the shift levers. The np205 transfer case shifter has bushings that aren't available anymore. After some research I made a "wet bolt" for the pivot shaft. I took out a 7/16 x 2 1/4" bolt that had lots of rust. The bolt has a small hole drilled along it's length and then through the side with a grease zerk tapped into the head. This will allow the pivot to be greased. The local hardware store didn't have nylon washers so I made some from a plastic milk crate and a hole saw.

Paul

"Necessity, the mother of invention"....... Good job!

LockDoc

-
Old 08-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #262
pwdcougar

Yikes it's been 7 months since I've updated the build thread. Now that the body is back on the frame and it's settled into position, the quarters are finally straight. I'm not sure what to do next. Originally I had planned on finishing up all the bodywork and paint the truck in my new pole barn. Then do the wiring and mechanical stuff. The town took 4 months to approve the plans, the guy doing site work is backed up and the pole barn company gave a March delivery/construction date. I wasn't going to do the mechanical work till the body was done. Below is a list of what I need to do. Just so I'm not staring at the truck for the next 8 months what mechanical work should I do? Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome.

Body:
Hood:
Strip, sand and do body work
Hang the doors
Install the core support
Sandblast door hinges

Mechanical
Brake booster and master
Wiring
Radiator
Hoses
Steering
Clutch linkage
Finish engine connections

Paul
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #263
Killer Bee

there you are!
Old 08-21-2021, 09:17 PM   #264
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I think I would start with the steering, then the clutch linkage, then the booster and master, then the radiator and hoses, then the wiring. I don't know what you have left as far as engine connections but if you have anything at the back of the block I would do that before installing the booster and master.....

LockDoc

-
Old 08-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #265
HO455
Post Whore

One thing wish I had done at the stage you're at would have been to fabricate some mounting points for 2nd row shoulder harness seat belts.
I am going to take advantage of the impending repair work and convert my fuel tank to a non-vented gas cap. I am tired of the gas cap leaking when doing going around a tight right turn at speed with more than 1/2 a tank of fuel. Previously I installed a vent in the fuel tank sender and will route it to the driver's side and hook it to 72 Suburban style evap set up. Might be something to consider.
What are you planning for bumpers?
Have your rebuilt the door hinges?
The kick panel vent doors on mine needed new seals installed.
How is your heater core? It sure would be easier to replace with no front clip.
I don't remember if you replaced the spring shackles when you installed the new springs.
Old 08-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #266
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
One thing wish I had done at the stage you're at would have been to fabricate some mounting points for 2nd row shoulder harness seat belts.
I am going to take advantage of the impending repair work and convert my fuel tank to a non-vented gas cap. I am tired of the gas cap leaking when doing going around a tight right turn at speed with more than 1/2 a tank of fuel. Previously I installed a vent in the fuel tank sender and will route it to the driver's side and hook it to 72 Suburban style evap set up. Might be something to consider.
What are you planning for bumpers?
Have your rebuilt the door hinges?
The kick panel vent doors on mine needed new seals installed.
How is your heater core? It sure would be easier to replace with no front clip.
I don't remember if you replaced the spring shackles when you installed the new springs.

Lots of good tips here thanks! I don't think I'll do the second row 3 point seatbelt brackets. I'm not sure I'll even put the second row seats in. Funny my Sub was my daily driver from the early 80's till 1997. Never had a problem with gas coming out of the gas cap! I have bumpers but haven't done anything with them yet. They could be sandblasted and primed. I'll probably go with white painted bumpers. I'll have to look up the rebuild kits for all the door hinges. Not sure I'll need to though. My 68 donor body was from a low mileage truck but I'll definitely check them out. A few months ago I rebuilt and detailed the heater box complete with new seals and a new heater core. One of the original 70 style kickpanel vents disappeared. Both 68 vents are in my pile of parts so I'll install them. Where did you find seals for them? Maybe that's something I can install too. The springs are the originals. Ride height is good but I should look up new shocks.

Originally the truck was non power drums on all four corners. The guy I sold it to converted to power drums. I need to source a replacement master and booster assembly. The one in it is pretty ratty.

Paul
Old 08-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #267
zicc1835

Paul
thanks for the update... congrats on the new construction I like to check it out in the spring ...we did some major Reno last summer added a family room and a kitchen out to the pool I haven't done a darn thing to my trucks remember if you need a hand let me know. I do have a car trailor now seeing up a wench here shortly if you need help on relocating the Burb
Jess
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #268
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
Paul
thanks for the update... congrats on the new construction I like to check it out in the spring ...we did some major Reno last summer added a family room and a kitchen out to the pool I haven't done a darn thing to my trucks remember if you need a hand let me know. I do have a car trailor now seeing up a wench here shortly if you need help on relocating the Burb
Jess
Good to hear from you Jess and thanks!
Old 08-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #269
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Lots of good tips here thanks! I don't think I'll do the second row 3 point seatbelt brackets. I'm not sure I'll even put the second row seats in. Funny my Sub was my daily driver from the early 80's till 1997. Never had a problem with gas coming out of the gas cap! I have bumpers but haven't done anything with them yet. They could be sandblasted and primed. I'll probably go with white painted bumpers. I'll have to look up the rebuild kits for all the door hinges. Not sure I'll need to though. My 68 donor body was from a low mileage truck but I'll definitely check them out. A few months ago I rebuilt and detailed the heater box complete with new seals and a new heater core. One of the original 70 style kickpanel vents disappeared. Both 68 vents are in my pile of parts so I'll install them. Where did you find seals for them? Maybe that's something I can install too. The springs are the originals. Ride height is good but I should look up new shocks.

Originally the truck was non power drums on all four corners. The guy I sold it to converted to power drums. I need to source a replacement master and booster assembly. The one in it is pretty ratty.

Paul
Here is a link (below) to my post (#232) on the vent doors. After I did mine I found some threads on using different "free" material for the seal. If you want to save $5 do some searching.

Maybe consider just rebuilding the driver's door hinges. I didn't rebuild the hinges on my Burban but, after 30k miles the driver's door is starting to get loose. I can feel the door just starting to drag on the latch when I open the door. I may have pull the drivers door hinges over the winter and rebuild them.

I mentioned the shackles as they have quite an effect on the how the truck drives down the highway. Worn ones will give you that wandering down the road feeling. Many folks don't replace them when they do a front end rebuild and the truck never quite drives as it should. Don't ask how I know this.

Man oh man there's nothing better than white painted bumpers on a K model in my book! Looking forward to the end result.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...698377&page=10
Old 08-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #270
pwdcougar

Quote:
Here is a link (below) to my post (#232) on the vent doors. After I did mine I found some threads on using different "free" material for the seal. If you want to save $5 do some searching.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...698377&page=10
Didn't see the seals on LMC till just now after putting in the order for the steering seals and bearings I need for the steering column. There is a set cheap on ebay but the guy wants 9 bucks to ship them! I'll put them on my list for my next LMC order.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #271
pwdcougar

Picking away at things. Steering column installed and waiting to install the rebuilt master and booster. Of course the gold cad paint is in USPS limbo. Working on the drivers door now. The recessed screw holes for the door latch were pulled through so had to make new ones.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2021, 11:16 PM   #272
pwdcougar

It’s getting too cold to paint here in NJ so the suburban is getting some mechanical work done. Installed spark plug heat shields, master cylinder/brake booster, clutch linkage and working on the e brake. Was missing the bracket that holds the end of the front cable to the frame so I made one.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #273
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Looking good Paul
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:39 PM   #274
HO455
Post Whore

Nice work! I love doing that kind of stuff.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #275
pwdcougar

Quote:
Nice work! I love doing that kind of stuff.
Same here! It was a lot of fun and worked out perfectly.