The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 12:02 AM   #1
TR65
Senior Member
 
TR65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 853
Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

We ran the Power Tour in June with my cell phone suction cupped to the windshield for navigation, not a good look.

I got to thinking about a better way. We have a steel dash. Maybe a magnetic mount would work. Neodymium magnets are really strong....

I took a 2" piece of 2X1X1/8 aluminum channel and trimmed and bent it to fit the dash. I Gorilla glued 4 magnets from home depot to the channel. The top edge fits on the top of the dash and the two magnets hold it down. The second two magnets hold the mount to the nose of the dash. The lower leg locates on the vertical part of the dash and prevents rotation.

Trying this out on the dash indicated that it is plenty strong enough to hold the phone.

I bought a ProClip holder for my phone. (They sell a mount for your specific car and a mount for your specific phone. They connect together with four small screws.) I only needed the phone mount of course. ProClip is a high quality product, made in Sweden, but pricey. I use them in my other cars.

I mounted the ProClip to a small piece of 1/8 aluminum and Gorila Glued that to the magnet mount. Painted it up.

Pretty clean, works well. You can easily pull it off when you want and it will mount anywhere along the dash. The ProClip mount has the rotation and swivel motion.
Attached Images
     
__________________
1965 C10 SWB Fleet
Two owner

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 8,819
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

looks good!!..
you could also use some of that tacky back felt on the magnets and back side to help keep from scratching your paint..
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
Getter-Done
Senior Member
 
Getter-Done's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: TN.
Posts: 1,364
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Nice work.




.
__________________
84 Chevy K-20
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build

paypal.me/Dwayne67CrewCab
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Ronzo
Registered User
 
Ronzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ft Whoopup, Ab
Posts: 296
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Well thought out, I like it.
Ronzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
TR65
Senior Member
 
TR65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 853
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Thanks men.

Greg,

Great idea. The glue on the felt is drying right now. My wife is a little put out since I blew her off when she suggested the same thing.

I'll put up a picture tomorrow.

TR
__________________
1965 C10 SWB Fleet
Two owner

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
TR65
Senior Member
 
TR65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 853
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

All felted up. Works good.

I used Elmer's spray on contact cement.
Attached Images
 
__________________
1965 C10 SWB Fleet
Two owner

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #7
Getter-Done
Senior Member
 
Getter-Done's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: TN.
Posts: 1,364
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
Thanks men.

Greg,

Great idea. The glue on the felt is drying right now. My wife is a little put out since I blew her off when she suggested the same thing.

I'll put up a picture tomorrow.

TR
Did you have a moment and/
Forget the 2 magic words ( Yes Dear)






.
__________________
84 Chevy K-20
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build

paypal.me/Dwayne67CrewCab
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #8
TR65
Senior Member
 
TR65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 853
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

You would think I would learn after 44 years.
__________________
1965 C10 SWB Fleet
Two owner

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
WOLFMANmike
Registered User
 
WOLFMANmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: oceanside CA
Posts: 681
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
We ran the Power Tour in June with my cell phone suction cupped to the windshield for navigation, not a good look.

I got to thinking about a better way. We have a steel dash. Maybe a magnetic mount would work. Neodymium magnets are really strong....

I took a 2" piece of 2X1X1/8 aluminum channel and trimmed and bent it to fit the dash. I Gorilla glued 4 magnets from home depot to the channel. The top edge fits on the top of the dash and the two magnets hold it down. The second two magnets hold the mount to the nose of the dash. The lower leg locates on the vertical part of the dash and prevents rotation.

Trying this out on the dash indicated that it is plenty strong enough to hold the phone.

I bought a ProClip holder for my phone. (They sell a mount for your specific car and a mount for your specific phone. They connect together with four small screws.) I only needed the phone mount of course. ProClip is a high quality product, made in Sweden, but pricey. I use them in my other cars.

I mounted the ProClip to a small piece of 1/8 aluminum and Gorila Glued that to the magnet mount. Painted it up.

Pretty clean, works well. You can easily pull it off when you want and it will mount anywhere along the dash. The ProClip mount has the rotation and swivel motion.
so maybe im thinking about this wrong and if then im sorry but magnets that strong say to keep away from Electronics and also medical equipment that they could effect pacemakers. and can damage computers and tv .. so here is my thought our smart phones really are like a small computer and since some of our phones can cost like $800 and we make payments on them. are you going to do damage to your cell phone that cant be fixed? just a thought dont get me wrong i love this idea im just hoping it wont kill your cell phone
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
TR65
Senior Member
 
TR65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 853
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Good Point WOLFMAN,

I thought of that, but they make magnetic cell phone mounts where you paste a thin metal plate to the back of your phone and stick that directly on a magnet.

The back of the phone is a good 1-1/2" from the magnet face. The magnetic field decreases as 1/(distance)^3. So very little magnet strength left at that distance. No trouble so far and I have been riding around with phone in the mount.

I will update if any trouble arises.
__________________
1965 C10 SWB Fleet
Two owner

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
WOLFMANmike
Registered User
 
WOLFMANmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: oceanside CA
Posts: 681
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
Good Point WOLFMAN,

I thought of that, but they make magnetic cell phone mounts where you paste a thin metal plate to the back of your phone and stick that directly on a magnet.

The back of the phone is a good 1-1/2" from the magnet face. The magnetic field decreases as 1/(distance)^3. So very little magnet strength left at that distance. No trouble so far and I have been riding around with phone in the mount.

I will update if any trouble arises.
Awesome
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 AM   #12
spacedebris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Grants Pass, OR
Posts: 532
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

wolfmanmike is right. You should be very careful of using magnets.

And TR65 you are also correct in that they do make magnetic phone holders.

However the commercial magnetic phone holders are typically weak (relatively speaking) magnets. Defiantly nothing as strong as the magnets you are using.

Computers use a hard drive that spins and stores data magnetically. So magnets such as what you are using would erase data stored on them. Now, luckily, cell phones use solid state chips that are a lot less susceptible to magnetic erasure. While a cell phone can be erased by magnets it would likely take something MUCH more powerful than those little magnets.

What I would be concerned about is if you use bio-metrics with you phone. I had a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I locked with my fingerprint. I dropped it one day down a irrigation pipe. Luckily there was no water in it but I had to use my friends magnet that he uses for "magnet fishing" to get it out. We lowered it down the pipe on a rope and hauled my phone back up. But it would not unlock once I got it back. I sent it into Samsung to have it repaired and they told me that although the bio-metrics were still there and accessible that actual sensor was "de-calibrated" by the magnet and only was able to scan a partial print thus it could no longer confirm it properly. Granted my problem was likely caused by using such a powerful magnet (80 lb pull). It is still something to think about. Now if you lock with password, facial recognition that uses your camera, or something similar then likely no worries. But if you use fingerprint or other "touch" bio-metrics then be cautious not to damage the touch sensor by getting it too close to the magnets.
__________________
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #13
TR65
Senior Member
 
TR65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 853
Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Thanks for the info SpaceDebris,

This link has some good information:

https://money.cnn.com/2015/06/01/tec...et-smartphone/

TR
__________________
1965 C10 SWB Fleet
Two owner

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com