The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
NEWBIEC10

Rear coil spring install

Was just wondering the steps for installing rear coil springs. Easiest and safest way to doing it. I will be putting in some Jeep springs that I got for free. I hope it drops it some. I've read mixed reviews with others on hear having no drop to 4" of drop.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

NEWBIEC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: Rear coil spring install

Hi newbiec10, I used ECE springs, fantastic quality, supports 1,000 lbs load without excess sag. I have a shortbox 2wd 1/2 ton with a 4" drop and still didn't bottom out. These ECE springs are a great bargain from a great vendor! Installation= jack the rear end up, support the frame, disconnect the lower shock mounts, lower the rear end, now the springs will be unloaded. Remember to jack the truck up higher than you would think, as you need to lower the rear end beyond the shock travel to get the springs unloaded. Once unloaded remove retainer plates that are inside the springs. Looks like a nice truck project you have there. Good luck, Brian Fuller
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:28 AM   #3
NEWBIEC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
Hi newbiec10, I used ECE springs, fantastic quality, supports 1,000 lbs load without excess sag. I have a shortbox 2wd 1/2 ton with a 4" drop and still didn't bottom out. These ECE springs are a great bargain from a great vendor! Installation= jack the rear end up, support the frame, disconnect the lower shock mounts, lower the rear end, now the springs will be unloaded. Remember to jack the truck up higher than you would think, as you need to lower the rear end beyond the shock travel to get the springs unloaded. Once unloaded remove retainer plates that are inside the springs. Looks like a nice truck project you have there. Good luck, Brian Fuller
Thank you, So all I have to do is let the rear training arms hang freely once the rear shocks are undone? I don't half to worry about the springs from flying out and hurting me or the truck or tool box ect. If I have my jack stands holding the frame!?

Thanks also sorry about the confusion. This was my last build. Night and Day
Old 05-17-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
NEWBIEC10

Apparently it didn't post my picture. Most because it was a Ford! I'll try again.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but the description seems great. Is there any need for a spring compressor with these trucks? I'm doing the rears on my 1960. Is it just as simple as lowering the rear once the bolts are loose? Then put the bolts in and jack the rear back into place and set her on the ground?

Also, I'm sure I'll need to replace my bolts, do I just get standard grade 8 Bolts in the same size as what came out?
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

No need for spring compressor an yes always use grade 8.
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
MASTERBrian

Ok, bolts on both sides broke off. My concern now is that even though I lower the rear axle the bolts aren't coming up. My question is how long are the stock height springs unloaded? I worry that being add the bolts are frozen in the holes that instead of a compression load, I'm getting a stretched load and worry about them spring back to unloaded state from there. I've soaked these bolts a bunch.

***edit.....finally got them out. I believe the unloaded length was 13-1/2". Top bolts were very easy, the bottom not so much. Ended up with lots of great and tranny/mineral spirits mix then finally had to pry and pry and got the sawsall out and finally wss amble to cut the bolt under the spring cup. Then drilled crud out from sides of bolt(s) and kept flooding the area with the mineral spirits mix and heat, was finally able to punch the rest of the bolt through. Two hours on first side, thirty minutes" second.

Time for new bolts and might buy new cups just so I don't have to get other half of bolt out of the nuts on There lower perches.

Last edited by MASTERBrian; 05-03-2017 at 07:58 AM.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote