The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2019, 01:40 AM   #1
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Terrorist in my house

This is Duke. A 10 week old German Shepard that likes to tear stuff up. I haven't had a puppy in years, and I'm starting to remember why.

If he's not sleeping, he's red lining at 120 miles an hour.

I had a German Shepard years ago and he was the same way as a pup, but turned out to be the greatest dog. Fingers crossed on this one.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:58 AM   #2
vetnat

Re: Terrorist in my house

GSD pup - title makes perfect sense!
Old 03-04-2019, 02:43 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Awwww, what a cute little guy! Looks like a lot of fun -- enjoy the good stuff and try to overlook the bad stuff!

It's been 11 years since our big guy was a puppy. Quite an experience to say the least.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Red71gmc

I've had a couple lab pups and they are no better. Nothing is safe for two years at least. I had one that actually chewed through its chain link kennel and ate its dog house (shingles and all).
That one ended up being my best dog ever. She lived in our house after two years and never tore up anything and was the best family/bird dog a man could ever ask for.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Looks like you're already having fun with your new pup ..they just have to get over them doggy teenage years,great loving dog ,,fine looking dog .
Old 03-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

We just signed up for a German Shepard puppy and already getting set for him to come home and the mom was just bred so about 15 weeks and we start the new puppy life . We already have a Rat terrier that has been the best dog ever and we're hoping he will help train the new puppy .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
jeffahart

I run our dog hard twice a day for between 20-40 minutes, morning and evening. Most behavior issues with dogs are solved by running them. Just too much unspent energy. I have a dog run at the side of my house. It's got lighting for night too. I have my morning coffee and chuck. I have my evening smoke and drink and chuck. It's the only path to peace! If I don't exercise her I get pestered and she runs all over the house... unacceptable! I train my dogs, it's work but it pays in the long run.

They just want to play, and fetch is an easy solution. I got a "Chuckit" because I started throwing my arm out. It's actually my wifes dog, but I refuse to live with an unruly beast!

j
Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

He is gorgeous. I loved my GSD babies when they were still with us.. I remember looking out back one time and Shultz was trying to drag an endura bumper across the back yard. Never a dull moment with them.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Coley

Smile Re: Terrorist in my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Most behavior issues with dogs are solved by running them. Just too much unspent energy.
j
quick pivot on that point: ...believe it or not, the data is now starting to show the exact same situation and results for young kids, particularly boys. I kid you not.
This research has come as a result of all the emerging issues with boys as a result of parents not allowing them outside to burn off energy (and boyhood), etc...and instead stuffing them in front of a gaming console.
This data is also trending towards answering the questions regarding the increasing use (abuse) of Ritalin to calm young boys/guys down. ...anywhoo.
Parents however.....won't let go anymore so you get what you get in terms of the end problems.

Regardless,....I fully believe that result with your dog....very good info!!

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 03-04-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
quick pivot on that point: ...believe it or not, the data is now starting to show the exact same situation and results for young kids, particularly boys. I kid you not.
This research has come as a result of all the emerging issues with boys as a result of parents no allowing them outside to burn off energy (and boyhood), etc...and instead stuffing them in front of a gaming console.
This data is also trending towards answering the questions regarding the increasing use (abuse) of Ritalin to calm young boys/guys down. ...anywhoo.
Parents however.....won't let go anymore so you get what you get in terms of the end problems.

Regardless,....I fully believe that result with your dog....very good info!!

All Good
Coley
Let alone a young boy and his young dog playing together outside.
One thing I sprung for was invisable dog fence covering my 3 acre yard. My dogs get to run all day while I'm gone and I would never do without one again.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Like Jeff said...run em hard and give em lots of attention...I did this with my Lab...I never had any of the Lab horror stories that I hear everybody talking about...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #12
Jrainman

Good luck with your new family member , exercise is just part of what needs to be done with a young puppy , but most people do not understand the way a dog thinks and reacts , I have many years of training dogs in obediance, conformation and hunting . I love dogs ,

but already from the picture I can give you some advice on what you just created , So the shoe lace becomes the shoe and that pair of shoes laying there next to you is next , the compounds of that shoe is simular to that chair you are sitting on. its all habit forming to a dog.

Let me give you a example of what I mean , so you have your Small cute puppy and your sitting there in that chair ,because most people are to lazy to bend over to pet ther puppy they will slap there knee and get the puppy to jump up to give them attention and to say hello (good dog). So you just gave the go ahead for the dog to jump up for a greet and meet , 2 years down the road your dog now weighs 5 times what he did as a 10 week old puppy , Now a young child enters your home for what ever reason ,your dog greets the child as you taught him to, for some affection and to say hello. everything you do now will become habit for your puppy . So what ever you are looking for in your dog to become, think before you act on any and all interaction with your new family member , A well solcialized dog can be bought in to any situation, the point being you want a dog that is not a liabilty but a true companion for life ..... again good luck and I wish you the best.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Smile Re: Terrorist in my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
Good luck with your new family member , exercise is just part of what needs to be done with a young puppy , but most people do not understand the way a dog thinks and reacts , I have many years of training dogs in obediance, conformation and hunting . I love dogs ,

but already from the picture I can give you some advice on what you just created , So the shoe lace becomes the shoe and that pair of shoes laying there next to you is next , the compounds of that shoe is simular to that chair you are sitting on. its all habit forming to a dog.

Let me give you a example of what I mean , so you have your Small cute puppy and your sitting there in that chair ,because most people are to lazy to bend over to pet ther puppy they will slap there knee and get the puppy to jump up to give them attention and to say hello (good dog). So you just gave the go ahead for the dog to jump up for a greet and meet , 2 years down the road your dog now weighs 5 times what he did as a 10 week old puppy , Now a young child enters your home for what ever reason ,your dog greets the child as you taught him to, for some affection and to say hello. everything you do now will become habit for your puppy . So what ever you are looking for in your dog to become, think before you act on any and all interaction with your new family member , A well solcialized dog can be bought in to any situation, the point being you want a dog that is not a liabilty but a true companion for life ..... again good luck and I wish you the best.

I agree with you 100% as I am a person who believes that a well mannered dog can be trained to protect you as well as be your best friend ,, I believe dogs really want to please their owners ..

Now ,,be sure and tell us all what kind of car it was that you got from the old man who had it stored in the garage that was on your way to work everyday ,,in some ways I am just like a dog ,,I want attention ,, and I am sitting up right now begging for this asnwer,,
Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #14
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My main concern is to socialize him. I spend a lot of time with him and take him wherever I can. I want him to get used to people. When I had my previous Shepard, I also had a huge Great Dane. They never bit anyone. They were very well behaved. But they scared people just due to their size. They just looked so intimidating. But they were cool with everyone. And no one ever broke into my house and I lived in kind of a rough area. Well, I take that back. My crazy ex girlfriend broke into my house to spy on me. But that's another story. Long story.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
My main concern is to socialize him. I spend a lot of time with him and take him wherever I can. I want him to get used to people.
I couldn't agree more. We inherited our wolfdog from our daughter and it was never well socialized. He's not a biter thank goodness but he avoids people except those of us in his "pack". He won't let anyone else touch or pet him so he misses out on a lot of attention & affection. But with us, he's the most affectionate dog you can imagine.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 03-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #16
Red71gmc

Quote:
My main concern is to socialize him. I spend a lot of time with him and take him wherever I can. I want him to get used to people. When I had my previous Shepard, I also had a huge Great Dane. They never bit anyone. They were very well behaved. But they scared people just due to their size. They just looked so intimidating. But they were cool with everyone. And no one ever broke into my house and I lived in kind of a rough area. Well, I take that back. My crazy ex girlfriend broke into my house to spy on me. But that's another story. Long story.
Aw, come on. You can't tease with a lead like that. Lol
Old 03-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #17
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
My crazy ex girlfriend broke into my house to spy on me. But that's another story. Long story.

I read that in Long Duck Dongs voice.. totally entertaining that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McZa_AEjTS8
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #18
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
I read that in Long Duck Dongs voice.. totally entertaining that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McZa_AEjTS8

LOL Long Duck Dong.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #19
morepwr

You think that little guy is a terror? You should have been around my husky puppy! That dog wore me out until she got older. They can be a pain but they are also worth it.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #20
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

CUTE PUP!!!!!

Ask your vet about anything you can do now to help with joints/hips and when they recommend to start them (might be some years down the road, some things you can do now.) That breed is very prone to hip and back leg issues when they get older.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...lasia-in-dogs/

My wife is a veterinarian and we have a beautiful husky/shepherd mix. She has hip issues too, but she's on a lot of meds for it and is still a happy girl for now (she's 14).
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #21
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Ask your vet about anything you can do now to help with joints/hips and when they recommend to start them (might be some years down the road, some things you can do now.) That breed is very prone to hip and back leg issues when they get older.
That's one reason my daughter opted for a wolf-dog puppy. The thinking is that including gray wolf in the mix helps to reduce hip problems as the animal ages. Our guy is part GSD and part Malamute and at 11 years old, no issues yet -- though he sometimes is a bit slow getting up. So am I, for that matter....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 03-06-2019, 01:52 AM   #22
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I will definitely ask my vet about something for Duke's hips ASAP. I know German Shepard's are prone to hip problems. I already have my Corgi on supplements for his joints. Corgi's are jumping fools. But he's getting older. Kind of like an old athlete that tears up their joints. For a dog with such short legs, he could jump up on anything. We called him Superman.
But not so much anymore. Old age. Me too.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #23
rgunlock

We'll have to compare notes. This one will be mine in about 4 weeks when he's ready for adoption, right around my b-day. I think I'll call him Bonn. Hope you're enjoying the heck out of Duke!
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #24
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
We'll have to compare notes. This one will be mine in about 4 weeks when he's ready for adoption, right around my b-day. I think I'll call him Bonn. Hope you're enjoying the heck out of Duke!
Thanks Rick. That's a good looking pup right there. You better get a lot of rest in the next 4 weeks You're going to need it.

Duke's actually been doing really better. I think my older dogs help. he kind of follows their lead. And he's way better on the leash. He now walks up in front of me, instead of sitting like a mule fighting me. And he's not afraid of people like he was at first. He definitely likes the ladies more than men.

Time and patience is paying off...So far.

He's already 14 pounds and growing.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #25
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
He definitely likes the ladies more than men.
Funny how that happens. Our 11-year-old doesn't like anyone except us, but he will sometimes grudgingly allow some women near him. Men..... not so much.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay