The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
bradleyheathhays

How to disable my airbag *gasp*

So my Mom drives a 2002 Ford Taurus that I believe has one of the Takata airbags that have been killing people. So far her car hasn't been recalled for the airbag, but I know this recall is being done piece meal as they can't do them all at once, and since the recall applies to the year right close to hers I suspect hers eventually will be recalled as well. Either way I don't want to take the chance, and here's why...

The explanation for why these things are going off is there's some defect in the manufacturing that when the air bag is exposed to humid conditions and lots of temp fluctuations, something in them weakens and there they go. Mom's Taurus has a windshield leak so, even though it's never smelled, there's always been a virtual puddle of water in driver's side floor board. So the inside of the car has always been humid, just like in the airbag explosion scenarios.

So, for the time being, until she gets into another car, I'd like to disconnect her airbag to be on the safe side. She is an amazingly vigilant driver, never even a speeding ticket, and the risk of her rear ending someone is virtually non-existent.

How would I go about disabling an airbag on a 2002 Ford Taurus?

Or, alternatively, how do I open the steering wheel column, or front of the steering wheel, which might be part of the disabling process itself, and identify if Mom's airbag is indeed one of the defective types?
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: How to disable my airbag *gasp*

I don’t think they will add the Taurus of that era. They are an earlier design. That version was produced from 00-07.

The earliest Ford cars to have the faulty takata airbag is 2004.

They don’t go off on their own. They deploy in a frontal collision. The problem is when they deploy, there are pieces of shrapnel that can get shot at your head neck and face.

I don’t think your car will ever be recalled.

The ntsb issues recalls as soon as there is a known issue. Recalls are issued before replacement parts are available.

I would fix the windshield leak for other reasons(nasty smell, electrical components, rusty floorboards)

If you really want to disable them, unplug the air bag module. But you will be defeating a safety system.

Your mom may be a great driver, but there are a lot of other people that aren’t. She may not be able to avoid every scenario where there may be an accident.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Unless you have the EXACT instructions on removing that airbag, I'd recommend against it. One slip, and it could blow up in YOUR face. Then, if you did manage to remove it, there is a $5000 Federal fine for doing so, and if your mother gets in an accident and you are discovered to have been the removing party, at the very least all your friends are going to look at you like, "WTH?", and the popo will be putting up charges. Best case scenario- sell that thing if you are that concerned, and make it someone else's problem. :puzz:

Sorry if this seemed harsh.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 05-19-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

There won't be a recall for a 2002 ford Taurus , No one would believe there is still one on the road .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
There won't be a recall for a 2002 ford Taurus , No one would believe there is still one on the road .

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

If the front crash sensor was unplugged the system would be disabled. Keep in mind with it unplugged the connections are open to the weather-corrosion. The next owner could be injured and by having a good lawyer he will take everything you own.

With the leak I'd be looking real good at the rear cradle mount structure. Car may be near end of life
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
If the front crash sensor was unplugged the system would be disabled. Keep in mind with it unplugged the connections are open to the weather-corrosion. The next owner could be injured and by having a good lawyer he will take everything you own.

With the leak I'd be looking real good at the rear cradle mount structure. Car may be near end of life
Agreed, this is a tread lightly situation. Fix the leak and leave the designed safety features alone.....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote