The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Foot Stomper

1 inch drop advice needed for a stock Task Force

Hey guys, I really like my stance, but am thinking a 1" drop would be all I need on my stocker. Both front and rear.
I don't want to more than 1" for a few reasons, and I want to keep my stock leaf spring set up.

Direct question: which spring should I remove from the pack to get one inch?

I realize that this is not a popular drop, but would appreciate knowing from someone who has done this before. I know I can experiment myself by pulling random ones, but am hoping for some specific advice.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:53 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: 1 inch drop advice needed for a stock Task Force

When I remove leaves I start with the shortest ones because they make the least changes to handling characteristics. Typically I remove every other leaf until I get the desired ride height. The leaves are about 1/4" thick, so removing just two would give you 1/2" drop and with the added spring sag should be pretty close to your desired 1 inch.

Bear in mind that my experience is with Model A Fords and I've never done it with a TF Chevy but I assume the principle would be the same.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
When I remove leaves I start with the shortest ones because they make the least changes to handling characteristics. Typically I remove every other leaf until I get the desired ride height. The leaves are about 1/4" thick, so removing just two would give you 1/2" drop and with the added spring sag should be pretty close to your desired 1 inch.

Bear in mind that my experience is with Model A Fords and I've never done it with a TF Chevy but I assume the principle would be the same.
I agree smallest and every other spring. Don't mess with the two longest at the top at all. I removed the shortest up front a got 1/2" (I also have a 3" drop axel) and I removed 4 from the rear and got about 2" and it rides much better. I also used the 2" drop shackles in the rear. By the way, your finished truck looks great Footstomper.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Foot Stomper

Thanks for all the responses guys. So many options to consider.
A special shout out to Nail Pounder and Miraclepico!

After reading the many responses, I have decided to get my springs re-arced.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #5
MiraclePieCo

Do you have a nearby spring shop than can re-arc them? I am so disappointed that my local spring shop closed after 50 years.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Do you have a nearby spring shop than can re-arc them? I am so disappointed that my local spring shop closed after 50 years.
Yes, actually a couple shops to choose from. One is a diesel truck shop that specializes in turbo and all things related. Not a highway tractor truck shop... perhaps there's a similar shop in your area too.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
dsraven

you could try the re-arc method but I have found the springs break after some use when re-arced. especially old springs. you may be better off to remove a leaf and see how it affects the stance. once you have it apart the first time it will be easier to do in subsequent dissassemblies if you don't get the required affect. you will need some new center bolts that hold the pack together. remove a leaf and assemble. set the truck down on it and drive it around the block or down the country road. allow it to set itself. then check the ride height. if it is how you want it then replace the ubolts and torque them again after a few miles of driving. torque them with the weight of the truck sitting on the springs.
if you don't like the height, dissassemble and remove another leaf or whatever you need to do. don't remove the springs from the truck, leave the main leaf attached and work from there, way less work. take the smaller leafs out and leave the main top leaf and the one directly next to it. this would also be a great time to install some of those teflon strips that go between the leafs to keep them from squeaking. newer trucks have them. standens could probably set you up with the parts you need as long as you know the head diameter of the center bolt, the shank diameter of the center bolt and the length. if you dissassemble it you can take the old parts, including the u bolts, with you so they can match them up. they can custom make any size of u bolt pretty well.
if you have to remove quite a few leafs to get the ride height and ride quality you like I would then recommend you install a longer "overload" style spring at the very bottom. this allows the other springs to move up to a certain point and then they contact the overload leaf and the pack becomes stiffer. it would stop you from bottoming out possibly. especially on the rear of the truck. the link is just a pic so you can see what I mean about the lower spring. you could also get that leaf in a thicker design to compensate for too much drop or install a spacer in the right spot to get the ride height you want.

https://www.truckspring.com/products...43-1263HD.aspx
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
dsraven

that would also be a great time to install a bracket under the leaf pack to accomodate a sway bar. a sway bar from a donor truck could then be possibly made to fit. thats if you want one.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Foot Stomper

Thanks dsraven but it's already back from the shop. Re arc is done.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
mr48chev

It's not all done until you show the before and after photos. Good call on rearching the springs as it should stay at the height you want it a lot longer that way.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
dsraven

c'mon man, PICS! we're dying here.
we all wanna see that flashy looking truck. it came out awesome. are you driving it around town yet?