The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Phungki

Thoughts on this cl find

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...694916380.html

I have not contacted the owner do I don’t know anything other than what the add says. Any thoughts?
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
1968aj

Re: Thoughts on this cl find

the ad has been up a good while. it would have to have very little rust I think to be worth that much. I personally think its not worth half what they are asking.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968aj View Post
the ad has been up a good while. it would have to have very little rust I think to be worth that much. I personally think its not worth half what they are asking.
I know, ppl think because it’s old someone will pay up for it. Ppl are asking anywhere from $1500 to $3k or more for rusted out rollers. The only way I’ll find one in decent shape for a fair price is with a lot of luck. I suppose I could just go buy one already restored but where is the fun in that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
mikebte

For sure a good starter from the pics but nothing original. As a 59 it’s got all the wrong badges and prolly not original V8 truck. Price is high, but anymore people ask high numbers.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:07 AM   #5
MiraclePieCo

News flash: they're not making these anymore. The old ones out there are getting both rustier AND more expensve!

But asking us if you should buy it is like asking if you should marry your girlfriend. An old truck is a relationship; is this the one you want to spend your weekends with and make part of your family?

It runs and drives; that's good. But it needs lots of work; it sounds like you think that's good too. Junkers are $2000, street rods are $30,000. Hard to find one in this middle price range like this.

If you like it, buy it and start posting your build thread asap!
Old 10-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
dsraven

Decide what you want to do with thr truck, rusty patina look with a newer style underside or something straight and smooth with a newer style underside etc. That will help you determine what sort of truck is best suited. If you plan on smooth and painted then look for the best body you can find or simply plan on replacing panels. If a newer style underside is wanted then the original driveleine isnt even needed. The cab is probably where most of the body work will be required so try to get the most solid cab you can. If something absolutely awesome and new is what you want build a truck from nnew parts. Not gonna be cheap to go that route but entirely possible.
Figure out what you wanna end up with and go from there.ic hanving a whack of stuff on the underside so you have ifs and fancy rear suspension then all the original stuff becomes irrelevant except for the actual frame, or maybe not even that if the plan becomes so involved you will replace the frame too.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Depends what you want to end up with.

I’d not want the granny low four speed if you intend to keep it somewhat as-is and makes it a driver.

Those rims are awful to me, ditto on making it an as-is driver.

That much surface rust means there’s most likely significant cancer most likely. It ain’t “patina” no matter what people tell you. That’s decades of neglect and abuse.

Plus the price is too high by a couple thousand at least. ESPECIALLY if you intend to put a different engine and/or trans, rearend in it.

If you intend to put IFS, lower it, new paint, yada, yada, it’s way too high priced to be a starting point.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
News flash: they're not making these anymore. The old ones out there are getting both rustier AND more expensve!

But asking us if you should buy it is like asking if you should marry your girlfriend. An old truck is a relationship; is this the one you want to spend your weekends with and make part of your family?

It runs and drives; that's good. But it needs lots of work; it sounds like you think that's good too. Junkers are $2000, street rods are $30,000. Hard to find one in this middle price range like this.

If you like it, buy it and start posting your build thread asap!
Hardly a news flash but thanks for the sarcasm. I’m new to buying these types of vehicles so I thought it would be prudent to ask the ones who have. You know, get their onsite, learn what they have learned and possibly have them point out something that might not be so obvious to the novice. Like for instance the one forum member pointing out it had the wrong badges. Exactly the type of info a novice could use. Nowhere did I ask if I should buy anything. Maybe I’m wrong for thinking I’ll get that type of help here.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phungki View Post
Hardly a news flash but thanks for the sarcasm. I’m new to buying these types of vehicles so I thought it would be prudent to ask the ones who have. You know, get their onsite, learn what they have learned and possibly have them point out something that might not be so obvious to the novice. Like for instance the one forum member pointing out it had the wrong badges. Exactly the type of info a novice could use. Nowhere did I ask if I should buy anything. Maybe I’m wrong for thinking I’ll get that type of help here.
There was no sarcasm in my post; everything I said was sincere. Nowhere did you ask if you should buy anything? Dude, you posted a thread titled "New Guy Looking For a Project," then you post a Craigslist ad - what did you expect us to assume? But thanks for making me sorry I tried to help. User added to Ignore list.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 10-06-2018 at 03:40 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
_Ogre

Quote:
News flash: they're not making these anymore.
actually they are. 55-59 chevy trucks are being repopped, unaffordable but you can buy every part for these trucks.

and play nice, he's trying to find a project.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
News flash: they're not making these anymore. actually they are. 55-59 chevy trucks are being repopped, unaffordable but you can buy every part for these trucks.
"They" meaning Chevrolet, and "these" meaning whole trucks. Aftermarket vendors make assorted replacement parts that are notoriously poor quality and fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
and play nice, he's trying to find a project.
A 17-post newbie flamed me after I tried to help. I hit the Ignore User button and don't have to worry about it any more.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 10-06-2018 at 10:12 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #12
dsraven

like I said before, what is your dream for a truck like this?
let us know and you will likely get some help.
straight, smooth and shiny with a streetable daily driver engine/trans?
patina, half done looking thing with huge tires under the back and rusty welds sticking out. not too concerned about panels lining up and door gaps etc?
4" off the ground, fire breathing, tire smokin, throaty, roaring truck with flat paint and a retro logo on the side? driven on saturday night only?
if we know a few of these things, a direction you would go, then we can help you pick something out. if a show truck is what youre after it is much different than a budget built daily driver with a few modern conveniences.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #13
mr48chev

Well the ONLY good thing about "patina" is that it doesn't hide anything in the body.

I don't care what the mothbreathers say here or anywhere else rust does NOT add value.

Seller says that it has a 283 with a Stroker, that most likely means it is a 307 or the 283 block has a 327 crank in it but it could mean that it has been bored an he thinks being over bored is stroked.

First you need better photos and a lot of them for that price for that truck. If it is 6500 as we see it let him justify the 6500 with clear high rez photos that show every nook and cranny of the truck. That means no rust repair needed in the floor, It means that it has a clear title in his name and a current registration with currnet tags. It also means that one should be able to test drive it around the block at a minimum and out on the highway at a reasonable speed for several miles.

Almost every one of those trucks that hasn't been fully restored has that rust in the back corners of the fenders. That isn't much of an issue on a truck that hasn't been restored. the rust around the drivers headlight is a deduct though.
Those wheels add no value unless you are just in love with them and around here the only people that buy them are late model truck owners who pick the gaudiest wheels on the wheel display to put on their new 4x4 trucks. Might be a bargaining ticket if you hate them and he has a set of rollers that hold air to get it on a trailer.

Still the best thing is to either buy a ticket to Denver and fly out and check it out or find someone the board who lives in or around Denver who can go look at it and take a bunch of photos and give an objective view of it. Offering up a few bucks for gas money, , lunch and time goes a long way.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
lv2tri2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968aj View Post
Over priced, make him an offer after a closer look.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #15
bobinbc

It doesn't look like anything special IMHO for the price and the distance to bring it home. I would want to see pictures of the door bottoms, steps area inside the cab, rear cab corners, floors, etc all common areas for rust on these trucks. The rest of the trouble spots are visible in the pictures and will be worse than they appear for sure. As for the engine unless the seller meant to say that it has a 383 stroker I would be looking at it as a chassis and body and base my thoughts on that, running gear is the easiest thing to change, you are paying for the body so paying a little more for the best one you can find will be worth it. Hope that helps...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/

Last edited by bobinbc; 10-08-2018 at 04:49 AM.
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote