The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
QBRacing

Late Model GM Steering Column Swaps

bit of background on my 58 project/build first.

I'm running C4 Corvette front/rear end (almost installed). I will be using an LM7 engine and 4L60 trans. I'm running a bench seat so don't want a floor shifter sitting where the centre passenger puts their legs. I cant justify $1000 USD for an Ididit, tilting, auto shifting column so I am considering what late model swaps can work.

I have seen Orrie's build thread and see he uses an Eldorado column but I'ld rather stay within the GM range.

I've searched and see a number of suggestions on various posts. Has anybody used or attempted to use the column from an 87 El Camino (pic attached). They have auto shifter, tilt column, cruise control, wiper (with intermittent).

Im in New Zealand so its a little hard to pop down the local dismantler as our stuff is all japanese or euro.

Does anyone have photos of late model columns in here 55-59s or even how they did things on there installs.

I'm sick of searching.

Quintin
Attached Images

QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Late Model GM Steering Column Swaps

That will work fine if you sourced it locally. Shipping from the states would cost more than the column. I threw a bunch of similar ones away a while back as I got tired of moving them around and they don't bring much at swap meets here anymore.

By the way Cadillac Eldorado is GM in reference to Orries column.

Are you going to run left hand steering or the traditonal to NZ I'd think right hand steering? There may be a Holden or similar car about the same size or truck that has a right hand column that is column shift. You would have to run a cable shift linkage but that could be worked out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:50 AM   #3
joedoh

I used a 91 s10 column that looked exactly the same

IMG_6942 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the only thing that was even a little fiddly was using the factory trans linkage, which required a lot of planning. a cable might have been easier but waste not want not.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:18 AM   #4
QBRacing

@Mr48Chev -
We can run LHD here in NZ. I already have a 71 pro-touring nova I built over here which ill b selling to cover the rest of the costs of the truck build.
As for shipping, I use a freight forwarder in Lomita CA for all the big stuff, it just takes a month or so for him to fill a container depending on whats ordered.

@Joedoh -
Thanks for the pic. Looks the same as the elco one.
You have any issues mounting to the floor or you just customize?
Ill probably have more luck finding 91 C10 over here as they aren't to uncommon compared to the elcos.
You know if any come without intermittent on the stalk?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
oldman3

QBRacing, you should have no problem using the column. I installed a 78 Chevy Caprice column (very close to yours) in my 50 pickup. I did remove the shifter from column, so my floor mounting would not help you. Here's a couple pics, hope this helps...Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBRacing View Post

@Joedoh -
Thanks for the pic. Looks the same as the elco one.
You have any issues mounting to the floor or you just customize?
Ill probably have more luck finding 91 C10 over here as they aren't to uncommon compared to the elcos.
You know if any come without intermittent on the stalk?

no trouble whatsoever. mine had a three screw mount that was tack welded to the bottom of the column, and it wouldnt work out, so I just carefully cut it off and used a column clamp like they sell for gm repro columns. mine was actually I think a stock AD clamp, at least it was in a box with original AD stuff.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
_Ogre

most 80s-90s gm columns are the same above the floor boards: multifunction switch, ignition switch, tilt mechanism are the same
where they differ is length, left or right shift linkage and whether the PRNDLL is on column or in the dash
as long as the column is short enough to use 2 U-joints and a shaft to hit the steering box you should be good
gm columns typically have a floor mount flange that needs to be cut off and repositioned to match the angle of truck floors
not a problem for most of us

from the big bracket on down it is exposed on our trucks and should be covered up under the dash. fugly as heck
left or right shift linkage can be handled. right is preferred, pull down lever and linkage moves down to match the trans lever
with left linkage, pull down on shifter, linkage moves up, easily fixed as the 1 in truk is left
the column you show does not have the PRNDLL on it. ididit sells stick on PRNDLLs for a variety of column diameters
if the elco column did not have 700r4 in it you need to modify the shift throw from PRNDLL to PRNDLLL for the 4l60 if you want to use low gear

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
_Ogre

1986 chevy astro column in truk, no prndll and left shift bracket
you can see the floor angle bracket mod
main mounting bracket is welded to the stock dash/column support bracket

how much the astro comn sticks thru and left linkage
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
_Ogre

how i handle the ugly
and the ididit stick on PRNDLLL

Attached Images

Old 03-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
mr48chev

If they don't overcharge you for it as in "get rich off the furrin guy" and you can have it shipped for a reasonable cost head on go for it.

I get a bit confused on what is allowed without issue in NZ as appose to what they allow in Australia.

I'll throw this in. The GM tilt sometimes gets a little sloppy if the driver uses the steering wheel to pull themselves up/forward so they can reach things on a regular basis. It's a simple fix but you have to take the column apart. The one in your photo looks nice and tight though. My wife is short and is terrible about pulling on the wheel and I have had several tilt columns apart to tighten the plate that holds the pivot ball tight. That shouldn't be an issue in a truck like it is in a car though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
QBRacing

@oldman3
again - looks similar to the elco or s10, just appears to differ depending on stalk options. I like th idea of cruise and wiper on the stalk and know there are multiple options for cruise setup when using an LS family engine.

@_orge
Thanks very much. That was a big help.
I think I like the astro column better than the S10 being left shift bracket (gets it away from engine/middle of car = more exhaust room.)
I planned on running a dakota dash with the digital gear selector option but thanks for the link to the ididit stick on ones.

@mr48chev
pic was what I was thinking about and borrowed from google somewhere... mine wont start out that purdy
Old 03-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
_Ogre

i thought the same on the cruise/wiper control
intermittent wipers depend on a gm control module that isn't compatible with stock or aftermarket wiper motors that fit
cruise function only works with gm cruise, but is easily swappable if you go aftermarket cruise
i used rosta cruise, they sent me a new stalk that is compatible with the multifunction switch