The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
bhayes1

No Power at Ignition - Radio Flickering

Just recently got my K2500 on the road after swapping out the small block for another used small block. All the accessories remained the same: HEI, Coil, Plugs, Wiring Harness, etc.

This weekend I drove the truck about 100 mi round trip and it ran great. I got home to unload some gear, shut the truck off for 5 minutes and no power at the ignition when I tried to fire it back up. The radio was flickering while the key was in the "off" position. The weather was bad so I pushed the truck out into the driveway and left it for the time being. I went back out that evening to lock it up and the radio was still flicking - no keys in the ignition.

I'm pretty sure once I get out there with a 12v test light and start looking around for a bad ground, loose connection, etc. the problem should reveal itself pretty quickly. However, I was hoping to get some ideas flowing while I wait out the rain and am stuck inside for now.

Thanks in advance,

-Bryce
Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
lsversaw

Re: No Power at Ignition - Radio Flickering

The dial lamp on the original radio on a '69 truck comes on only when the radio is switched on, regardless of the position of the headlight switch.

The radio is normally connected to the ACCY circuit (correct me if I'm wrong on this!), so the original radio dial light should only come on when switched on AND the key is in the ACCY or RUN position.

So, if the radio dial light is on (or flickering) with the key in the OFF position, then either...
- the radio is non-original and the dial light always comes on with the headlights, or...
- the radio is original but is now wired to an always-hot power source, or...
- your ignition switch has failed.

If you can eliminate the first two possibilities, then the problem is the ignition switch.

Post whatever you find (or maybe already found) for our general education!
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote