The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
hemi43

Blazer/Jimmy vehicle GVW and GVWR

I've searched for information on this in the past but always came empty handed.
The aluminum tag on our trucks has the GVW but no GVWR. The reason for this is that technically the K5 is not a truck, but an SUV which falls in a different set of rules. The listed GVW of my 1970 Blazer is 5000 LBS, and I believe this went to 5500LBS in 1971-72.
I've had my Blazer on a scale, and with no driver and Softtop it came in at 4820LBS which I thought was high considering these are fairly small trucks. What is confusing is the factory brochure claims these weigh around 3600LBS.
What I'm trying to find out is what the GVWR is? Here in Canada, we have become a police state and I just want to make sure that I'm within the legal limit when driving down the road.
Has anyone else actually weighed their trucks? I would be interested in what number you all got, as well as what equipment your truck has.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Blazerowner

Re: Blazer/Jimmy vehicle GVW and GVWR

Maybe this?

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/m..._2wd/1972.html
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
Keith Seymore

I would be more inclined to trust this info, from GM directly:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...let-Blazer.pdf

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc..._Full-Size.pdf

A). What is this distinction you are making between GVW and GVWR? Wouldn’t GVWR simply be the “Gross Vehicle Weight Rating”? Or are you looking specifically for the rating over the rear axle?

B). Curb weights are historically unreliable. There are several different “kinds” of curb weight - base curb, EPA curb, plus a few I’m forgetting - so you need to know the loading condition, in terms of fuel, passengers, ballast and option content, in order for the published data to even start making sense.

At the risk of being simplistic: If you’ve weighed your truck you know what your specific truck weighs. To me that’s far more helpful than mining generic data from the Internet.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-02-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

At the risk of being simplistic: If you’ve weighed your truck you know what your specific truck weighs. To me that’s far more helpful than mining generic data from the Internet.

K
Knowing the actual weight of my truck(GVW) is only half the equation. I need to find out what the maximum weight (GVWR) is which is set by the manufacturer so that I can find out what I'm really looking for, how much weight I can put in it.
Thanks for the links. It has an example of a Blazer having a GVWR of 5300 LBS and a curb weight (GVW) of 3990 LBS. This means that this particular truck can be loaded with 1310 LBS of cargo (fuel, passengers, etc...)
My truck weighs 4820 LBS, and if I have the same GVWR of 5300LBS like the example in the link, that would mean that I could only put 480 LBS in my truck. If that's the case, then I would legally be overloaded with 2 people in it and a full tank of fuel. This makes no sense and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I’m shocked the GVW is an issue. Come to Wisconsin and ask for asylum. I’ll sponsor you if I can borrow your tools

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Knowing the actual weight of my truck(GVW) is only half the equation. I need to find out what the maximum weight (GVWR) is which is set by the manufacturer so that I can find out what I'm really looking for, how much weight I can put in it.
Thanks for the links. It has an example of a Blazer having a GVWR of 5300 LBS and a curb weight (GVW) of 3990 LBS. This means that this particular truck can be loaded with 1310 LBS of cargo (fuel, passengers, etc...)
My truck weighs 4820 LBS, and if I have the same GVWR of 5300LBS like the example in the link, that would mean that I could only put 480 LBS in my truck. If that's the case, then I would legally be overloaded with 2 people in it and a full tank of fuel. This makes no sense and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Does anybody actually check your vehicle loaded weight? I've never seen that in my travels in the US except for commercial vehicles.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
Blazerowner

I never have for mine but I haven't towed with it. I would think a lot of factors would come into play. I have an Ls3 and 4l80e in mine along with a 3 inch lift. I would think more power, overdrive and different springs etc would definitely change the rating. The short wheel base might be a factor as well. I would think the longer the truck, the more stable and higher the rating for towing.

Last edited by Blazerowner; 03-05-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I’m shocked the GVW is an issue. Come to Wisconsin and ask for asylum. I’ll sponsor you if I can borrow your tools
If I had to do things over again, I would have left this place when I was in my 20's. Being a Tool Maker, I think I'd fit right in Wisconsin. Lots of industry up there. Problem is that your winters are way worse than ours.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #9
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Does anybody actually check your vehicle loaded weight? I've never seen that in my travels in the US except for commercial vehicles.
Yes they do !! They will pull you over if they suspect you're overweight regardless if it's a commercial or personal vehicle. They carry portable scales and will weigh you on the side of the road. Lots of guys getting busted for being overweight with a sled or ATV in the box of the truck.
Another big issue up here is emission controls. All equipment that came with the truck when new must be attached and working. I have a 5.3 Vortec in my truck, and I must retain all the emission equipment that came with the original (2003) engine. This means that my 1970 Blazer has catalytic converters as well as EVAP system including the charcoal canister.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I never have for mine but I haven't towed with it. I would think a lot of factors would come into play. I have an Ls3 and 4l80e in mine along with a 3 inch lift. I would think more power, overdrive and different springs etc would definitely change the rating. The short wheel case might be a factor as well. I would think the longer the truck, the more stable and higher the rating for towing.
The GVWR can never be changed. This rating is set by GM when the truck was built.