The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
67 chop top

odometer malfunction

i have an 04 silverado 4wd 2500lt 4door, the problem im getting is when i crank the truck the odometer comes up flashes mileage one time or driver 1. it then starts prompts for language. pushing odometer reset button has no effect at all. i noticed opening driver door with engine off and key off the mileage would come on and stay on for a couple minutes. i unplugged harness from door and checked wiring into door and found speaker bad. plugged door back in everything worked. odometer read english. about two weeks later crank truck and its asking for language again. im not sure what to look for now because door i know is the problem. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
67 chop top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
67 chop top

Re: odometer malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chop top View Post
i have an 04 silverado 4wd 2500lt 4door, the problem im getting is when i crank the truck the odometer comes up flashes mileage one time or driver 1. it then starts prompts for language. pushing odometer reset button has no effect at all. i noticed opening driver door with engine off and key off the mileage would come on and stay on for a couple minutes. i unplugged harness from door and checked wiring into door and found speaker bad. plugged door back in everything worked. odometer read english. about two weeks later crank truck and its asking for language again. im not sure what to look for now because door i know is the problem. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
sorry about last sentence about door i dont think the door wiring is the problem. i was in hurry earlier. i have something going on with radio amplifier before i removed the driver door speaker the speakers would pop when i opened any door. thats when i started checking speakers and found driver door speaker bad. i checked wiring to make sure nothing was grounding and didnt find anything. this truck has the bose stereo in it and i not sure if it is part of odometer problem or not. like i said before any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
67 chop top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
lazerstrouts

If you can get ahold of another cluster and try it. I had an issue with my 4wd burban and used one from a 2wd 2500hd to test with. Not sure if duramax or v6 are different but all v8s will interchange as long as they look the same exept for tranny temp gauge.
Posted via Mobile Device
lazerstrouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
truckdude239

believe it or not the one with the tranny gauge will also work its a common swap

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
lazerstrouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
believe it or not the one with the tranny gauge will also work its a common swap
right but i was told the later ones( like 03-06 or something) have a different message center and wont swap across. i only know the 99-02 v8 gas motors will swap.
lazerstrouts is offline   Reply With Quote