The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Kudzupatch

Rear bum stop suggestions?

1993 Suburban lowered with Belltech flip kit and frame notch and also has the helper air bags. It has what appears to be a thin cut down bump stop in place, but they are doing no good! Every once in a while I will hut something just right and bottom out on the frame. It is a hard hit too so it obviously needs a better bump stop.

Thinking someone might be able to recommend one that works? I see there are lots on the market but nothing like learning from others experience.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: Rear bum stop suggestions?

Where are they placed? Up inside the notch or outboard on thier own bracket? Raise the bracket if you have room left in the notch or if you are maxing out the notch, go deeper or have the rear leafs rearched or get some that dont sag. Could also stretch the hanger. Pics of whats going on will help.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Kudzupatch

Re: Rear bump stop suggestions?

No sagging of the springs nor is it sitting to low. Just occasionally running over something such as a dip in the road surface or a transition at a bridge that has a quick change in height will cause the rear to bottom out. When it happens it is a hard slam. Just looking for something to coushin that blow.

There is a bump stop in the notch. Never looked closely to see exactly what it is. It may be worn out? I would like to replace that with one that is little bigger assuming I have the travel.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
SCOTI

You need to determine where the impact is occurring. A taller bump stop will help but how tall it needs to be will depend on what's hitting & how much room there is until in makes the impact.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
Kudzupatch

Finally getting back and serious about this. Just made a 2K mile trip and really want to get this fixed before next year's trip.

My Suburban belonged to a Bell Tech sales rep. No way of knowing for sure who installed the lowering kit. May have been lowered by Bell Tech since he was an employee but whoever did it did a excellent job. I was looking for a Suburban to do the conversion on when I found this one.

What I am running into is the suspension is bottoming out. Metal pad on the axle is hitting the bump stop in the notch on big bumps. It does have helper air bags and that makes a big difference, especially when I am loaded down. But I don't want to run it all the time with a lot of air in the bags to stiffen it up.

Even so, sometimes when I hit a transition from bridge to road or a big pothole it will bottom out. Sudden dip or bumps in the road will bottom it out too. It takes something out of the ordinary, it is not a everyday thing, even with the bags empty. But if you doing 65-75 on the interstate it can really hit hard!

Here is a photo of the area where it hits.

As far as I can tell springs are not sagging but there is only 2-3/4" travel, metal to metal. The small pancake bump stop is dried out and cracked, so it needs replacing.

I want to replace this with something that will provide more cushion when it hits. I have been looking at replacements and I am thinking something thicker will have more cushion. Because of the limited travel I don't have a lot of room or will hitting the stops constantly. So I am trying to find that middle ground. I have found two I am looking at.

This is probably a very close replacement. 1" thick and 3" in diameter. It is thicker than what it there but not a lot. But I don't see it adding much more if any cushioning. Of course the old one is pretty worn so I could be wrong.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.9117

This is one I am leaning toward unless someone knows something I don't and why I should not use it. At 1-3/8" it is taller so it will hit sooner but I am thinking that shape will make it softer than a solid square one of the same thickness and provide more cushioning.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.9119

They are cheap enough to swap out if they don't work, but really would appreciate anyone experience with this.

PS Just ran upon these. They 'look' like they might have more cushioning than any others I have found. Size is just right at 1.26" Tall x 2.5" OD. But the price is must higher than Energy Suspensions urathane.

http://www.belltech.com/bump-stop-kit.html

Last edited by Kudzupatch; 09-18-2015 at 12:24 PM.