The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
that_ry_guy

Carrier Bearing replacement

Hey everyone,

I am replacing the carrier bearing in my 71 C10. I have Timken HB88107A as a replacement. Is anyone familiar with this bearing? I am wondering which side faces the front of the truck and which side faces the rear (or does it matter?) This looks a little different than the original one. My guess is that the flatter/smooth side faces the front of the truck with the ribbed part facing towards the rear followed by that ring.

If anybody is familiar, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images

that_ry_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:23 AM   #2
mike16

Re: Carrier Bearing replacement

it bolts in either way. glad to see you have the spacer. Did that come with the bearing or were you quick enough to recognise that either a new one or the old one is kinda critical to proper install
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #3
that_ry_guy

It came with the bearing but I wasn't 100% sure I need to use it (or even really what side of the bearing it would go). The old bearing had kind of a metal dust shield which looks like it would just butt up to the bearing on the differential side. Was thinking I might reuse it and eliminate the ring. I don't really completely understand the need for the ring. The old one didn't have one. Thoughts?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
StingRay

Make sure you keep the two halves of the shaft clocked the same as stock. If you screw up the clocking you can screw up the balancing. Also I've had those be a bear to get off the shaft before.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

Mock it up first but I think picture 1 goes towards the transmission.
Order of assembly on the shaft
Tin debris shield
Spacer, which I think keeps the debris shield tight against the shaft and spaces it from the rubber and bearing,
Bearing
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
that_ry_guy

Thanks for the help guys. I managed to get the carrier bearing inserted earlier today without too much difficulty. I ended up installing it in the orientation that randy500 suggested. Still not 100% sure about that ring. I think clearance between the debris shield and the bearing/rubber would have been okay without it but I didn't see much downside to adding it in anyway -so I did.

Thanks for the suggestion Stingray. I did mark everything to get it back together the same way but in my case probably doesn't matter as the front shaft is going to get shortened 12 inches so will need a balance anyway.

Thanks again for the input!