The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
chevyboy55

Desk building help

I’m going to build a floating desk. It’s going to be 10’ on one wall & 6’ on the other. I’m using 3/4” birch plywood. I’m building 2 base cabinets ( 3/4” birch ply 21”W x20”D x 26”T) for it to set on. I’m thinking a 2”x4” ledger board on the long wall to support the rear of the desk top (3/4” birch plywood 24”deep) & using these mounted to the bottom & going about 45 degrees(or so)to the wall every 16” on studs. I’m putting a 1”x2” (or whatever looks best) on the front,sides & rear of desktop plywood.I’m wondering about the top sagging. Do you think I have enough stiffness?
https://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/p...-swivel-flange
Old 09-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Desk building help

I'm not sure I have the picture right. Are the two base cabinets at either end? I'd want a ledger along the wall under both sections of the top. By "these" you mean those mounts you gave a link to, right? I don't follow what you will do with those. Are you thinking support the top's spanned area? How long would those be? How will you join the two sections at the inside corner? I'm thinking you need good support at the end of that long section (8'). really, support for either side at that point. I think you need something strong and rigid to span from the base of the 6' section to the wall at the back of the long section, then the same sort of support to span from the base cabinet into the shorter support. These would be under the top, could be set back some so not to be seen. That edge trim board should be oak or other hardwood to help with strength as well

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy55 View Post
I’m going to build a floating desk. It’s going to be 10’ on one wall & 6’ on the other. I’m using 3/4” birch plywood. I’m building 2 base cabinets ( 3/4” birch ply 21”W x20”D x 26”T) for it to set on. I’m thinking a 2”x4” ledger board on the long wall to support the rear of the desk top (3/4” birch plywood 24”deep) & using these mounted to the bottom & going about 45 degrees(or so)to the wall every 16” on studs. I’m putting a 1”x2” (or whatever looks best) on the front,sides & rear of desktop plywood.I’m wondering about the top sagging. Do you think I have enough stiffness?
https://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/p...-swivel-flange
Hey ChevyBoy from kelso.. how ya been? did the heavy rain flood ya any.. sure did for some of my kin folks in your area ..

If you put a 2x4 ledger on both the 10 and the 6 foot walls at the rear and a 1"x 2" all along the front ,,,with them braces every 16 " located out towards the front of the desk top underneath..that will do the job and I would not worry about warping ,, I acually would build it and put in these braces as needed ,,,,,maybe every 32 " ??

and sit a cabinet at each end underneath the desk top .. then ,, you are good to go ..

the only weak point is the inside corner like Tim mentions ( if you have a stud in the wall so you can put one of them braces right up under the two desk top joints with a 3/4 " plywoood to cover the joint ..thats one way to keep the joints even with each other..
Old 10-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I don't know the intended use. Those supports will do the trick. What I was thinking is if you needed that area open under the desk, the braces would clutter the area, limit it. When I think desk I think sitting and leg space, like a table. To have a free-span area would be ideal, so that is how I was thinking on support.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #5
chevyboy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm not sure I have the picture right. Are the two base cabinets at either end? I'd want a ledger along the wall under both sections of the top. By "these" you mean those mounts you gave a link to, right? I don't follow what you will do with those. Are you thinking support the top's spanned area? How long would those be? How will you join the two sections at the inside corner? I'm thinking you need good support at the end of that long section (8'). really, support for either side at that point. I think you need something strong and rigid to span from the base of the 6' section to the wall at the back of the long section, then the same sort of support to span from the base cabinet into the shorter support. These would be under the top, could be set back some so not to be seen. That edge trim board should be oak or other hardwood to help with strength as well
There will be a base cabinet on each end. I’m planning a ledger board along the long wall. The short desk top board backs up against the back side of my chimney(it has a liner and the brick never gets at all warm let alone hot) so I can’t really put a ledger there. The supports I linked will be mounted to the bottom of the desk top and to the wall every 16” on studs or most likely 32”(so the back part of the desk top will be supported by the ledger board then support arms every 16” or 32”) As far as length of the arms you just use 3/4” pipe so you can cut to whatever length you want. I’m going to join to two desk top boards at the inside corner with dowels & glue the joint, then put a couple of metal plates underneath at the joint(think fish plates) or maybe glue and screw a 1/2” piece of plywood underneath both sections (minus where it will set on the base cabinets
Old 10-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
chevyboy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Hey ChevyBoy from kelso.. how ya been? did the heavy rain flood ya any.. sure did for some of my kin folks in your area ..

If you put a 2x4 ledger on both the 10 and the 6 foot walls at the rear and a 1"x 2" all along the front ,,,with them braces every 16 " located out towards the front of the desk top underneath..that will do the job and I would not worry about warping ,, I acually would build it and put in these braces as needed ,,,,,maybe every 32 " ??

and sit a cabinet at each end underneath the desk top .. then ,, you are good to go ..

the only weak point is the inside corner like Tim mentions ( if you have a stud in the wall so you can put one of them braces right up under the two desk top joints with a 3/4 " plywoood to cover the joint ..thats one way to keep the joints even with each other..
Did good with the monsoon we had, we live on a hill👍
Ya my main concern is that joint where the two boards will meet.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

That's how I pictured it. I'm wondering your intended use. Desk or more like a work bench, meaning heavier use. What I wonder is if you want the desk open underneath for leg room, won't the angle supports limit the free space? I described a way to keep it open under there. I'm sure you've thought it out and know what space you need underneath

Tim

Old 10-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
chevyboy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's how I pictured it. I'm wondering your intended use. Desk or more like a work bench, meaning heavier use. What I wonder is if you want the desk open underneath for leg room, won't the angle supports limit the free space? I described a way to keep it open under there. I'm sure you've thought it out and know what space you need underneath
It’s just going to be a computer desk so not a lot of weight. Leg room is why I’m thinking of keeping the angle supports as far apart as I can. I suppose I could use a 90 degree shelf type bracket also.