The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
westpoint

first build....82 silverado c10

Hi guys. Just picked up a c10 from miami. Removed front end and bed. At sand blasters getting ready for por 15. Any advice is welcome. This is my first build. Thanks Joe.
Attached Images

Last edited by westpoint; 05-27-2014 at 03:27 PM.
westpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
rusty76

Re: first build....82 silverado c10

Looks like a good start! So what are your plans?
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
westpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Looks like a good start! So what are your plans?
Thanks Rusty. I have a few ideas but am very open to suggestions. First I am going to get as much of the frame coated with por 15. Then I will start from the rear and work my way up to the costly parts. I am a fabricator welder by trade and build and race ihra bracket cars with my family. Tomm I will be my truck back from sand blaster. Then coat or 15. Then im go I to change axle wheel bearings, replace u joints in drive shaft. Im also going to replace the rear brake lines. I have a lmc catalog I just got. They seem pretty cheap for tell most part. Is there a cheaper place to buy parts?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Mr.Chevy4x4

Welcome! Looks like you are starting with a fairly straight truck. Be careful with the sand blasting. If they aren't used to doing sheet metal or get a little too close overheating the metal will cause warping. I saw a '69 Camaro once that was sandblasted by someone who didn't know what they were doing and every body panel on the car was so wavy they all had to be replaced. That being said, starting with freshly cleaned metal is awesome.
Just take your time and enjoy the journey. Restoring these old trucks can be addicting!

Edit: Meant to add: Make sure you get primer meant for bare metal. Needs to be self etching to adhere correctly.

Mike

Last edited by Mr.Chevy4x4; 05-27-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Mention primer
Mr.Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
westpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Chevy4x4 View Post
Welcome! Looks like you are starting with a fairly straight truck. Be careful with the sand blasting. If they aren't used to doing sheet metal or get a little too close overheating the metal will cause warping. I saw a '69 Camaro once that was sandblasted by someone who didn't know what they were doing and every body panel on the car was so wavy they all had to be replaced. That being said, starting with freshly cleaned metal is awesome.
Just take your time and enjoy the journey. Restoring these old trucks can be addicting!

Edit: Meant to add: Make sure you get primer meant for bare metal. Needs to be self etching to adhere correctly.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I told them not to do the panels just the frame and heavy metal. The por 15 is a product tou can brush right on bare metal as long as you prep it first with two other products....heres a link if someone here is not familiar with it...http://www.por15.com/
Old 05-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Mr.Chevy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
Thanks Mike. I told them not to do the panels just the frame and heavy metal. The por 15 is a product tou can brush right on bare metal as long as you prep it first with two other products....heres a link if someone here is not familiar with it...http://www.por15.com/
Ok, I gotcha. I was thinking you were getting the sheet metal done also. Por-15 is good stuff and tough as nails. Just don't use the regular por-15 on areas that will be exposed to direct sunlight all of the time. UV rays break it down pretty fast and will make it chalky looking.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
westpoint

I have a question....once I get to lowering my truck how low do go for a daily driver? I want to be able to pull my boat so the truck needs to be functional plus i dont want to be scared of speed bumps and train tracks. I was thinking 2" in front and 3" in back for a even look. What do you ghys think?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
westpoint

Quote:
Ok, I gotcha. I was thinking you were getting the sheet metal done also. Por-15 is good stuff and tough as nails. Just don't use the regular por-15 on areas that will be exposed to direct sunlight all of the time. UV rays break it down pretty fast and will make it chalky looking.
Good tip on the uv exposure. Thanks ill keep that in mind.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Mr.Chevy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
I have a question....once I get to lowering my truck how low do go for a daily driver? I want to be able to pull my boat so the truck needs to be functional plus i dont want to be scared of speed bumps and train tracks. I was thinking 2" in front and 3" in back for a even look. What do you ghys think?
2/3 is good for a daily driver, especially one that will still have some towing duties. I lowered my last build 4.5/5.5, and it was still fine for daily driving but it never towed anything. If your boat is heavy you might want to consider some air bags.

Looking forward to following along on your build.

Here are before and after lowering:

Mike
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
westpoint

Quote:
2/3 is good for a daily driver, especially one that will still have some towing duties. I lowered my last build 4.5/5.5, and it was still fine for daily driving but it never towed anything. If your boat is heavy you might want to consider some air bags.

Looking forward to following along on your build.

Here are before and after lowering:

Mike
Cool. Ill run with the 2-3. If I am start in in the rear is there anything I need as per performance while im doing u joints brake likes and seals and bearings? This will be my daily driver by if I want to lay rubber I need that option.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
westpoint

POR 15 first coat....
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
Mr.Chevy4x4

Looking good!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
westpoint

Ok well today I took out the rug dash and panel with old ass radio. Ill post pics soon. I saw that my vent windows are in back shape. The metal hugging the glass is rusted beyond repair at the bottom. Where can I find parts?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
westpoint

Did a little interior demo since it was wet yesterday.
Attached Images