The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
67/Heaven

Re: Here it goes again, plz chime in

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
post pics of your solution to the alignment too I have a pulley system that said it wont work with power steering pump . I saw them on ebay this should be great for us 67 guys
I have a dual groove main with only the front being used to drive the water pump and alternator. My issue is with the alternator pulley as it is dual but not the oem part.(you may or may not know the oem pulley has about about 1/2 of steel between the last groove and the alt fan). Luckly I just ordered one on ebay, used hard to find but today was my lucky day.

Additionally my water pump pulley is single but with an O.D. of about 7" which puts it real close to the main pulley so getting the v belt to the rear groove would require removing or loosening the fan. For that I ordered a dual groove fan pulley with an outside diameter of 6.3" this should increase flow a bit while allowing for installation and removal of the rear belt.

The plan is to drive the alternator solely with the rear grove on the main
The front groove will drive the waterpump and ps. pump.
I have a 292 so the only bracket I could find are found on ebay for about 130. Pictures will be posted in a few as a work in progress, still waiting for pulleys but the steering box you will be able to see
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #27
weq92f

I'll be replacing my 67's power box soon to in favor of the quick ratio versions. I can clearly see that my frame looks just like HO455's in terms of the frame rail path sort of curving there just after the top rear bolt. It's different in that the boss there on mine is a stack of washers rather than what appears to be part of HO's frame. 3 big ones on each upper mount between box and frame. Didn't look at the bottom.

What are the symptom of having the box improperly positioned? HO, could you possibly measure the space between the frame and the closest part of the box where the dimple should be?

Thanks,

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #28
67/Heaven

there are the pics, you can see no dimpling required, my alternator dual pulley and bent mounting brackets due to incorrect pulley, a picture of a correct alt pulley for our trucks, a pic of my water pump pulley so close to the main that i can not get a belt back to the rear groove, and a general pic of the power steering pump. Still waiting on pulleys to arrive as the one on the alt at this time is a single but with the incorrect outside diameter so i do not want to affect the charging system. The oil in the third pic behind the pulley is antifreeze with some dirt, I had to readjust hose clamps to mount ps bracket. My baby has no leaks
Attached Images

Last edited by 67/Heaven; 03-05-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #29
67/Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I'll be replacing my 67's power box soon to in favor of the quick ratio versions. I can clearly see that my frame looks just like HO455's in terms of the frame rail path sort of curving there just after the top rear bolt. It's different in that the boss there on mine is a stack of washers rather than what appears to be part of HO's frame. 3 big ones on each upper mount between box and frame. Didn't look at the bottom.

What are the symptom of having the box improperly positioned? HO, could you possibly measure the space between the frame and the closest part of the box where the dimple should be?

Thanks,

-klb
What you see there is one of the four raised mounting hubs with bolt holes in the middle of each. You can see my pic above no dimpling the 68 and up had an additional curvature between those hubs to allow for the bull gear of the steering box. Yours and mine do not, a stock steering box will require a dimple but the CPP50014 that I just installed requires no dimple nor spacers, the pitman lined up straight with my linkage so alignment ( if the box is centered upon install and your alignment was good before) is not necessary. You will be able to remove those washers that are acting as spacers and your steering geometry should be back to where it should be. It is worth noting for all those doing a manual to power conversion, I also had no need to clip or chop the bumper support with this box. I had read about it and was expecting it but did not have to.

Last edited by 67/Heaven; 03-05-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #30
67/Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I disagree just based on the quality of work the PO did to my Burban. He said that he installed the steering bow and if he had needed to modify the frame he would have used a BFH and it would be very obvious. It may be that there are early and late frames or that some plants used slightly different frames. I don't know the truth but I am willing to bet that my frame has not been modified to mount the steering box.

67 Heaven Do you know the ratio of your new box?
the website says it is a 14/1 full lock to lock in 1.5 turns from center and btw your frame looks intact no BFH was used there as far as what can be seen in the picture
Old 03-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #31
67/Heaven

RJC-730R is the Ragjoint
CP UHK universal hose kit both from CPP or summit racing

CPP parts but Summit has them cheaper go figure

Last edited by 67/Heaven; 03-05-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #32
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post

Thanks,

-klb
I should have time tomorrow to get the clearance measurement.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:15 AM   #33
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67/Heaven View Post
the website says it is a 14/1 full lock to lock in 1.5 turns from center and btw your frame looks intact no BFH was used there as far as what can be seen in the picture
Thanks for the ratio info. It is obvious mine is much higher, it feels like I'm driving the SS Minnow. I may have mine gone through and the ratio changed. I believe that part of my frame is unmolested, other parts not so.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #34
67/Heaven

Just an update everything worked for me with the CPP kit that I bought from Summit
PN, 6772PSK-S. (I found the kit cheaper through Summit rather than CPP) The only thing is I had to snip the lip on the inner fender to allow the hydraulic hoses to be routed to the ps pump. Aside from that everything went well and you will require no dimpling of the frame with the supplied CP50014 steering box if your truck has the raised mounting hubs. I did not use the ps mounting bracket as I have a 292 and had to order that off of ebay. Due to my pulley set up I bought a double water pump pulley and am driving the ps pump off of the water pump. The truck is very responsive as the old manual steering box had substantial play. For all of those with 67 frames that do not wish to dimple the frame or use spacers, this is the way to go. All geometry lined up with the linkage and I did not need to re align the front end.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #35
67/Heaven

Firedemon, the kit should bolt right up, I have had no issues with the kit and am thoroughly enjoying driving the old truck a bit more than I used to. The only thing that I noted and don't really know to be factual is the turning radius seems to be a bit larger than what I recall with the old manual box. Would I buy the same kit again, that is a definite YES.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #36
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

OK... I'm taking DEEP breaths. I bought the same kit (CLP-6772PSKS) as you and it came with a regular steering box that doesn't clear the frame. Everything I read says it's supposed to have the CP50014 box, but it looks nothing like the box you have. I'm going to box it up and send it back to Summit, what a pain. I guess I'll try and order just the box and see if we get the right one. Didn't work well for me but I still appreciate your right up.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green