The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
QuebecC20

Lowered C-20: Frame-off restoration

Hey guys !I'm new here, I've been reading the forum for a longue time, and decide to register , so i can show you my projet! There is a lot of knowledged & skilled people on here

The presentation : I'm 31 years old french guy from canada ( so pardon my sometimes bad english lol ) , and i'm also a proffesionnal mecanic ! I have done and built many projects and cool cars for my own , and currently working in a really cool specialized shop , we build really cool customer project and race cars... But This is the first time i'm doing a truck project and restauration

I'm really picky when i do a project, and my work standards are high I really like the Do it once, do it right kind of thing !

For example , here's a car i did last year, aint to bad for a 24 years old shell Epoxy everything, yadayadayada

I do built cool engines too !

Anyway enough car stuff , Heres the truck ! I was shopping around for a 62-72 chevy, when i came across This Gmc 1980 round headlights c-20 and fell in love with it !

Here in Québec, it is REALLY hard to find a suitable project truck , winter and salt rot them to death ! This truck is a One owner , all Original 108 900 kilometers ( been repaint once after a fender was bent in a parking lot in the early 90's ) it was originally Charcoal solid paint , never winter driven and really well maintain and taken care of ! It got a 4 barrel LS9 350, TH350 tranny and 14 bolts rear diff... Here how i got it last summer, it was already dismentle for a frame off restoration, but the gentlement abandon the projet :

I'm still impress with how clean the sheet metal is, nothings need to be replace...its all original steel everywhere and will stay that way

The worst part is the rear left under the box, but really its an easy fix !

And here how it finally sits in My garage as of tonight, i can FINALLY start working on the truck ! I have been busy and working hard to finish insulating my garage and all in the last few months , and i'm finally done ! It is still not super organized yet, as i've had to empty the garage and move stuff around a lot, but i can start the truck project

It got a Custom made very complete everything Belltech 3/4 ton drop kit , i think its a 5/6'' , so it can stay 3/4 ton , tons of new parts ( windows , trim, wheater stips etc )

Tomorrow i will install the frame on the Rotisserie , so i can do the frame to my liking : it as been sand blast and paint matt black , i want it shiny gloss black and clear coat , and i will remove all the bolts ( i HATE painted hardware, all the bolt need to be zinc plated and shiny, and all the cast parts need to be cast colored, so does the fuel lines/brake lines and all the brake/steering/suspensions parts... ) It basicly needs to look better then when it as roll out of the asssembly line in 79

I am not fix yet on what to do with the engine , Cylinder 1&8 are pit pretty bad from corrosion, the owner did not store it properly

I really like the original charcoal color , but i really like the lime or olive paint color too... i have salvage from another truck the alluminium cab trim that separated the top from the rest, i might do a 2 ton with the top painted white or cream !

What i know is i want to keep the truck mostly or all original , beside the lowerend stance ! I dont know how value can be affected if i change the engine, or build an engine , i kindda like all matching Numbers... so does a color change ?

My goal is that the frame and all the drive train is bolt on it, all shiny and ready , before the spring time, and that the body parts are ready to paint

I'll for sure photo up-date regularly, and for sure will have many questions on the way too Lol ! Thanks for the reading , and stay tuned
QuebecC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
evan

Re: Lowered C-20: Frame-off restoration

Looks like a good start. Hello from out west.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
daddyjeep

That is a very solid truck to start out with. You did good finding that one. I know that you build cars for a living, but is this one for you? The reason I ask is because of your engine swap question. If this is for you, build it the way you want. I don't think numbers matching is as much of a big deal with these trucks versus an old muscle car.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #4
QuebecC20

Thats it for today !

Thanks evan , you are lucky out west ! every time i went there my jaw keep on dropping and drooling over so many old cars and trucks that are still very clean !! You guys are lucky, so many to choose from haha !

Yes this one is for me Yeah i think you are right about this daddyjeep , i dont think thoses classic value truck are THAT much affected by engines swap or color changes ! Tho, Most of them have been Hot rodded ! its getting rare to see them restaured to originals ! or at least keep the way they where when new ! I cant recall last times ive seen an original old truck ( at least on the east coast ! )

If it wasnt from money and budjet, i would built a really cool LS turbo engine and restomod the drivetrain , as it is my bag more then ol carburated engines :P

But i Think crusing in a shiny original old truck with some cool wheels , is very interesting and head turning also I really like the period correct colors scheme , what you guys think about lime colored with a white top ? any opinions and suggestions are welcome !

I'll probably go with vintique 10'' wide wheels in the back, with the dog dish hubs ! Engine wise, i'll see what i came across in the kijiji classified ( ours craigslist equivalent ) and start from there ! I'll bring my block at the shop, and see if i can salvage my short block ! I know my heads are good, but they are crap for Horspower wise... i'd like to get a nice idle and around 400 Hp... or just as stock as you can get and enjoy the ride , not fix yet lol !
QuebecC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecC20 View Post
[IMG]
Thats it for today !

Thanks evan , you are lucky out west ! every time i went there my jaw keep on dropping and drooling over so many old cars and trucks that are still very clean !! You guys are lucky, so many to choose from haha !

Yes this one is for me Yeah i think you are right about this daddyjeep , i dont think thoses classic value truck are THAT much affected by engines swap or color changes ! Tho, Most of them have been Hot rodded ! its getting rare to see them restaured to originals ! or at least keep the way they where when new ! I cant recall last times ive seen an original old truck ( at least on the east coast ! )

If it wasnt from money and budjet, i would built a really cool LS turbo engine and restomod the drivetrain , as it is my bag more then ol carburated engines :P

But i Think crusing in a shiny original old truck with some cool wheels , is very interesting and head turning also I really like the period correct colors scheme , what you guys think about lime colored with a white top ? any opinions and suggestions are welcome !

I'll probably go with vintique 10'' wide wheels in the back, with the dog dish hubs ! Engine wise, i'll see what i came across in the kijiji classified ( ours craigslist equivalent ) and start from there ! I'll bring my block at the shop, and see if i can salvage my short block ! I know my heads are good, but they are crap for Horspower wise... i'd like to get a nice idle and around 400 Hp... or just as stock as you can get and enjoy the ride , not fix yet lol !
Build the motor/drivetrain for power but keep it stock appearing. Poke & stroke the block for more cubes. Aftermarket aluminum heads painted to match the block for better air flow. A throttle body style FI set-up that fits under an OE appearing air cleaner moves fuel delivery into current times vs the carb. Overdrive trans for better cruising rpm.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote