The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Crewsin in my 63 GMC Crew Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetacean6 View Post
I haven't tried to turn the engine yet, but if it works I'll definately keep it. I heard there's a good place in Oregon to get it redone.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know a guy here in missoula mt with a rebuilt gmc v6 engine 4sale, if you need I will give you a contact #.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
cetacean6

Location: I live in Honolulu but my truck is being restored by 4-5-6 Trucks in Kansas City

Not a lot has happened with this build, but I'm planning to fly to Washington for 10 days in late July. If time allows I'm going to tear both trucks apart, blast or dip doors, front clip, and frame, then get those into primer. I'll take the engine out and bring it down to Central Cylinder Head in Portland to be dipped and made new again.

Aloha,
Rob

Last edited by cetacean6; 11-06-2012 at 02:12 AM.
cetacean6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

thats really cool that you are doing that,I am scared already to see the final total..
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
cetacean6

Location: I live in Honolulu but my truck is being restored by 4-5-6 Trucks in Kansas City

Of course, if my wife ever finds out how much I'm spending things will have to change, and that google doc will disappear forever!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #30
cAlvis165

Hey! I live just a few miles from Orville, OH! I wonder if that cab manufactorer is still around?
cAlvis165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #31
cAlvis165

Here's all I could find about the Orville Metal Specialty Co. You may have already found this by doing a google search but I thought I would post it for all to enjoy.

Orville Metal Specialty Co.
cAlvis165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
cetacean6

Just got done securing transport for the two trucks from Washington State to Kansas City this weekend. I'm putting this truck in the hands of Tony at 4-5-6 chevytrucks. We've agreed to start the build in January so I can have some time to save up some money. Once everything gets underway I'll post any updates and pictures I receive from him.
I'm still trying to figure out the color, though...probably not Palomino tan. I'm thinking red....
Old 06-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #33
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Just got done securing transport for the two trucks from Washington State to Kansas City this weekend. I'm putting this truck in the hands of Tony at 4-5-6 chevytrucks. We've agreed to start the build in January so I can have some time to save up some money. Once everything gets underway I'll post any updates and pictures I receive from him.
I'm still trying to figure out the color, though...probably not Palomino tan. I'm thinking red....
Of course, it's your truck but I hope you keep it a V6 truck. The first thing so many guys do with a GMC is stuff a small block or big block in them...
But, as I said.. it's your ride.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #34
cetacean6

Definately sticking with the v6. Keeping it as original as possible. This truck and this truck are good representations of what I'd like.

Last edited by cetacean6; 06-09-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: added second truck
Old 06-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #35
cetacean6

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #36
Delmo

Awesome truck bro.
Delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #37
66Gilbert
1966 Crew Cab & 4X4 Fanatic

Thumbs down Re: Crewsin in my 63 GMC Crew Cab

Quote:
Can't wait to see what LILRED66 and company do to this Jimmy!! They will have their hands full with the restoration of this one. You can bet this will be a 10 when completed. I am not sure if Tony has ever restored a GMC or a Crew Cab? I sure wish he would come back to the boards and keep us updated on this one.
66Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #38
Pop's C-10

I vote you go crew cab dually..that thing is sweet..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #39
cetacean6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAlvis165 View Post
Hey! I live just a few miles from Orville, OH! I wonder if that cab manufactorer is still around?
Dude,if you find anything by way of old documents (specs or build sheets)let me know! Would love to have specifications on their builds! They were bought out by Crown I think...
Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
cetacean6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmo View Post
Awesome truck bro.
Thanks! Like everyone else on this site, I'm a big fan of your work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 View Post
I vote you go crew cab dually..that thing is sweet..
That has Dyno's name written all over it! Maybe when he's done with his current dually we can talk him into doing something like that....
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #41
66Gilbert
1966 Crew Cab & 4X4 Fanatic

Looks like your truck made the trip to Tony's!! Can't wait to see some progress on this one.
Attached Images

66Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #42
cetacean6

It's cool to see both trucks like that. The stance of the 4X4 vs. the 1 ton is completely different. Also, I really notice how low the bed is sitting compared with the body on the crew.
Tony has just about talked me into getting that 1-ton restored as well. He says it's too nice to part out, so I may end up giving it to him in exchange for some parts he already has. I know I'd sleep better at night if we ended up doing that. I gave him the mice in the 1-ton for free. Apparently there was a bunch of them in there!
I'm expecting to get an estimate within the next couple of weeks. After that we'll be searching for parts and planning the build, which will probably start this winter depending on the estimate.
I've got my own 'set' of pictures on Tony's Flickr account, so I'll add that to my signature.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #43
Dinos63
chevy only

its in good hands at tonys ,and his work is top notch stuff
Old 07-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #44
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #45
aerotruk63

Found this page with a link:

Julius Fejes, the founder of Crown North America, moved from Cleveland, Ohio in 1938 to Orrville, Ohio. He subcontracted as a metal finisher for the Orrville Body Company. Over the next three years, Julius' talent and business acumen became quite evident and in 1941 he formed Crown Steel Products in Riceland, Ohio. The principal products produced by Crown Steel Products during this time continued to be subcontract metal finish work for Orrville Body.

Around 1948 a second Crown company was formed called Orrville Metal Specialty Company. The primary product for Orrville Metal Specialty was the fabrication of Sleeper and Crew Cab conversions. In the 1950's Crown's customers and products included:

Sometime later, Crown Steel Products began fabrication of IHC & White sleeper cabs, conventional cabs, hoods, and fenders. Late in the 1950's Crown Steel Products' customers came to include:

A pioneer in commercial van conversions, Crown Steel Products established a facility in Lorain, Ohio in 1961 to install components in Ford vans.

The late 1950's and early 60's saw additional acquisitions. Customer additions included Clark, Brockway, Terex, and Chevrolet. On July 25, 1967 all assets of Crown Steel Products were sold to Allen Electric and Equipment Co.

In 1968 Crown Fabrication of Canada was formed for the production of crew cabs and van interiors when Ford Motor Co. opened the Ontario Truck Plant to reduce production costs. 1969 saw the formation of the Allen Group with Walter Kissinger named Chairman of the Board and CEO. The purchase of Truck Specialties in 1971 enabled Crown North America to expand its assembly business to include Dodge vans. Through the 1970's and 80's Crown North America maintained its status as a supplier to the automotive and communications industries.

In 1994, The Allen Group returned its focus to electronics. This was carried out by splitting its automotive concerns from electronics business. Thus, the formation of TransPro Inc. of which Crown North America was a division until May 2000.

In December of 1997, Crown North America completed the acquisition of a small Canadian van upfitter located near Toronto. Crown VMS Canada Ltd. provided Crown North America with a presence to serve the Canadian van market. Today both U.S. and Canadian customers are serviced by facilities located in St. Thomas and Oakville, Ontario Canada.

Currently the Crown North America business unit headquarters is located in Apple Creek, Ohio.

On May 5, 2000 all assets of Crown North America were sold to Leggett & Platt Incorporated (NYSE: LEG).

Leggett & Platt is a worldwide diversified manufacturer that conceives, designs, and produces a broad variety of engineered components and products that can be found in virtually every home, office, and automobile, and many retail stores. Leggett & Platt is a 127-year-old company with over 19,000 employee-partners in more than 140 locations in 18 countries.

Visit our corporate website at: www.leggett.com
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #46
cetacean6

Thanks Aero, I've even sent e-mails to people at Leggett & Platt looking for historic documents, but didn't receive anything back from them. Sure would be nice to have build specs and other historic documents from them....
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #47
aerotruk63

If you have a few bucks to spare, you could post an Ad in the local paper to see if any old employees have any info, or if your lucky, the specs.

Archives search?

http://www.heartlandorrville.com/orrviews/default.aspx

http://www.the-daily-record.com/
Old 07-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #48
cetacean6

Awesome, just sent an e-mail. We'll see if this turns up any info. If so I'll definately share with the group.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #49
1963c-10

Any new updates?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #50
cetacean6

Not a lot going on. I shipped the trucks to Kansas City so that we could get started this winter. Tony gave me an estimate of $44-$48k for a restoration. Bottom line I won't be able to go that high. I've already got $13k into the truck, and have asked him to tell me what he can do with another $20k. That was about 2-3 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting for him to get back to me. I'm hoping that will cover rust repair at the least.
Also, I've sent him the pink slip to the dually. He's going to trade me for good, used parts for the crew so we don't have to cut that other one up.

Last edited by cetacean6; 10-16-2012 at 01:15 PM.