The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
j.rigby15r

00 jimmy won't start no clue why.

Just got a 2000 jimmy from a friend. Drove it home with no issues. Drove it a couple times with no issues. The last time I drove it I noticed the service engine light was on. Went to start it yesterday and nothing. Lights come on fuel pump hums battery has 12.5v. When I turn the key nothing happens no crank no click nothing. I checked fuses and battery connections all good. Tried the passlock reset but that did nothing. Security light comes on when you first turn the key but goes off. If key is in the accessorie spot and the door is open the security light blinks but goes out if you close the door. The thing started up just fine after sitting under a mound of snow when I picked it up but now nothing. What donindonand where do I start? I've seen this problem on the web but nobody has posted what fixed their problem. Any help would be great.
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
99LS1500

Re: 00 jimmy won't start no clue why.

Check your ground wires. They age, corrode and lose good contact and can cause intermittent no crank / no start issues. My truck had the same issue a few months back and it turned out to be the ground wire from the battery had a corroded connection at the frame. I gave it a good cleaning with a wire brush and that did the trick.
99LS1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
j.rigby15r

Re: 00 jimmy won't start no clue why.

I sure hope it's something that simple. It looked good at the battery. Didn't want to climb under as it is parked in snow and it's -25 here.
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote