The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
LuckyScott

Window regulator questions.......

Hey all, I am replacing the window regulator on my 72 blazer passenger side. The old one was rusted and would never move as long as I have owned the truck, and I knew it would be a b**ch to remove so I kept putting it off.

After a couple hours this morning with a can of oil and some elbow grease I finally got it to move and removed the old parts. Unfortunetly, the metal channel under the window separated from the glass.
I got the parts out and got a new window regulator but I don't know how to attach the window glass to the metal channel it sits in.
Is it glued in?
Looks like there is a little rubber u channel in there, maybe it just sits in it?

Some of the parts look kind of rusted and I don't know if I should look for a new metal window channel and/or window since I got a brand new regulator.

Can I buy a new window and if I do will it come with the metal channel or do I have to get parts off another blazer?

Any feedback would be helpful. Since I got it apart I would like to put it back together right and have it work good for a few years.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
SoCoC10

Re: Window regulator questions.......

Go to your local windshield shop and they will have the rubber that goes between the steel channel and the window glass. My windshield shop have me two or three feet of for free when they installed the windshield.Make sure to mark where the glass and channel come apart. Clean the old gasket and rust out of the old channel, put the glass upside down on a rubber mat or something soft, tap the metal channel back on to the glass with a rubber mallet. Trim the extra rubber material off and your done.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
hemi43

Using the proper channel tape will not guarantee good results because the tape available today is thinner than what the factory used. When I restored my Blazer, I did it properly using this tape, but it failed within weeks. I took everything apart again,cleaned and glued the glass into the channel using Right Stuff. Has been on there for almost two years with no more issues. You could also use windshield urethane available from NAPA which is designed to hold glass in place, but you will also need to purchase the proper primer. This IMO is a better way to go, but a bit more expensive.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
truckster

Glass setting tape comes in varying thicknesses. But urethane will make a permanent repair. Make sure you let the urethane cure before you install the window. Urethane cures with moisture, so a light spray of water can help cure it.