The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
'65 chevy lover

My fuel tank install

Here's a few pictures of my fuel tank install Ed. I used an LMC top fill.
Attached Images

'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
raidmagic

Re: My fuel tank install

Oh good. I have questions. I just bought that tank and am hoping to get some shop time today to work on it. Can you show me where you bolted the straps to? Also does the flange bolt to the frame? I have to remove my spare tire brace it appears, did you remove yours? Did you use any kind of rubber between the tank and the frame or straps? How bad will the job be with the bed on? Thanks if you can help, might save me some time out there today.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
ImpalaJim

I have a lmc side fill the cross member is in the way I have a long bedyours looks nice
ImpalaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Oh good. I have questions. I just bought that tank and am hoping to get some shop time today to work on it. Can you show me where you bolted the straps to? Also does the flange bolt to the frame? I have to remove my spare tire brace it appears, did you remove yours? Did you use any kind of rubber between the tank and the frame or straps? How bad will the job be with the bed on? Thanks if you can help, might save me some time out there today.
I did remove a brace, not sure what it was. If I remember correctly, It was about an 1-1/4"x1-14". I didn't have to drill holes for anything, just used holes hat were already there for all of it, even the strap. Most of the installs I've seen have used two straps, but if I had done that it would have required me to drill holes for everything. I had to place the tank on the ground and form the strap around it to ensure equal length on each side. I used some of the stuff that was in the box to put on the inside of the strap. I think it's going to be just fine, at least I hope it is...LOL The job would be impossible IMHO with the bed on. Hope this helps you.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaJim View Post
I have a lmc side fill the cross member is in the way I have a long bedyours looks nice
Thanks!
Old 12-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #6
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
I did remove a brace, not sure what it was. If I remember correctly, It was about an 1-1/4"x1-14". I didn't have to drill holes for anything, just used holes hat were already there for all of it, even the strap. Most of the installs I've seen have used two straps, but if I had done that it would have required me to drill holes for everything. I had to place the tank on the ground and form the strap around it to ensure equal length on each side. I used some of the stuff that was in the box to put on the inside of the strap. I think it's going to be just fine, at least I hope it is...LOL The job would be impossible IMHO with the bed on. Hope this helps you.
Ok I've got the tank installed and bolted to the frame. The only thing I don't have done is the strap. For the life of me I'm not understanding where it goes. I have 2 straps and they don't fit anything. Can you show me a picture from underneath how you did your strap? At this point I'm thinking it's a safety measure. I did everything with the bed on btw.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:27 AM   #7
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Ok I've got the tank installed and bolted to the frame. The only thing I don't have done is the strap. For the life of me I'm not understanding where it goes. I have 2 straps and they don't fit anything. Can you show me a picture from underneath how you did your strap? At this point I'm thinking it's a safety measure. I did everything with the bed on btw.
It'll be tomorrow before I can take some more pictures. You're right, the strap is there for safety. First, straighten out the strap. Then, place the tank on the ground with the bottom facing up. Then, center the strap on the tank. Then, form each end of the strap to wrap around the tank. Then take the bolts with the hook bent on the end and hook into the strap. The bolts are going to be at an angle, but don't worry about that. I used lock nuts so you don't have to worry about them backing off. When you see more pics of all this it will make more sense.
Edit: I just noticed that you said you did all that with the bed on. I thought it would be impossible to do that...lol but apparently not. Anyway, I'll post up some more pictures tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
It'll be tomorrow before I can take some more pictures. You're right, the strap is there for safety. First, straighten out the strap. Then, place the tank on the ground with the bottom facing up. Then, center the strap on the tank. Then, form each end of the strap to wrap around the tank. Then take the bolts with the hook bent on the end and hook into the strap. The bolts are going to be at an angle, but don't worry about that. I used lock nuts so you don't have to worry about them backing off. When you see more pics of all this it will make more sense.
Edit: I just noticed that you said you did all that with the bed on. I thought it would be impossible to do that...lol but apparently not. Anyway, I'll post up some more pictures tomorrow.
I would have been easier with the bed off but I didn't feel like going through all of that and figured I'd try, we'll see how it goes when I put the strap on
Old 12-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
I would have been easier with the bed off but I didn't feel like going through all of that and figured I'd try, we'll see how it goes when I put the strap on

Here's some more pics of the strap, I hope you can see it well enough.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #10
raidmagic

So you made it that whole way with a single strap. Ok. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #11
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
So you made it that whole way with a single strap. Ok. Thanks.
Yep, made it no problem. Just make sure you form it before trying to install it. If you don't, I think it'll be hard to get it to fit right IMHO.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You have your strap end hooks upside down. The threaded end goes thru the end of the strap and the nut and washer from the bottom. It installs a whole lot easier that way.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You have your strap end hooks upside down. The threaded end goes thru the end of the strap and the nut and washer from the bottom. It installs a whole lot easier that way.
Well that makes sense. I'll try that when I do mine.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #14
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Captain. The bed is not on yet so I can change
It. Also makes it easier to tighten it up if needed.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:13 AM   #15
WOLFMANmike

hmmmmm guys i don't know about this . something tells me its a bad idea to use just one strap considering its for safety . true i have not done this yet to my truck but im thinking i would use both straps . just think maybe some how the tank comes lose on the freeway ? slides out of the one strap and hits the ground ? sparks and gas not the best combo and maybe lose your track to a bad fire . when if you had had both straps it would not have happened just my opinion is all just better to be safe than sorry
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #16
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
hmmmmm guys i don't know about this . something tells me its a bad idea to use just one strap considering its for safety . true i have not done this yet to my truck but im thinking i would use both straps . just think maybe some how the tank comes lose on the freeway ? slides out of the one strap and hits the ground ? sparks and gas not the best combo and maybe lose your track to a bad fire . when if you had had both straps it would not have happened just my opinion is all just better to be safe than sorry
You bring up a very valid concern. The reason I did mine like that is I didn't have to drill any holes. It's something worth looking at.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #17
raidmagic

Quote:
I'm of the mind that if all 4 bolts that are loc-tited back off and fall out and the strap somehow fails and creates and odd angle to let the tank fall out from between the bed braces then some things are just meant to be.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #18
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
I'm of the mind that if all 4 bolts that are loc-tited back off and fall out and the strap somehow fails and creates and odd angle to let the tank fall out from between the bed braces then some things are just meant to be.
maybe im wrong here but ive always been under the impression that it would not necessarily be the bolts that " could fail " or back off . BUT more that the welds for the tank flange could fail and maybe not right away but could brake and then the straps would keep the tank in place as a secondary precaution .. it is your ride in the end it all comes down to what you are comfortable living with on your truck ... but i will say this lets remember that 2 straps has been the way forever in the US car industry for all that was when things were made with more care and Pride in our products made in the usa ... now things like LMC and many others are made in china for companies who are more concerned with quantity and not quality . and maybe a im grasping at straws here but ide say that its safe to assume that would include craftsmanship and welds again just my 2cents
Old 12-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #19
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '63-'66 Suburbans and panels as well as the '69-'72 Blazer tanks all had only 1 strap securing the tank to the frame. And no bolts where the flange meets the frame.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:47 AM   #20
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
The '63-'66 Suburbans and panels as well as the '69-'72 Blazer tanks all had only 1 strap securing the tank to the frame. And no bolts where the flange meets the frame.
lol ok then .. like i said its your guys trucks ..and in the end your choice ... i was just trying to be of help here
Old 12-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #21
raidmagic

Quote:
maybe im wrong here but ive always been under the impression that it would not necessarily be the bolts that " could fail " or back off . BUT more that the welds for the tank flange could fail and maybe not right away but could brake and then the straps would keep the tank in place as a secondary precaution .. it is your ride in the end it all comes down to what you are comfortable living with on your truck ... but i will say this lets remember that 2 straps has been the way forever in the US car industry for all that was when things were made with more care and Pride in our products made in the usa ... now things like LMC and many others are made in china for companies who are more concerned with quantity and not quality . and maybe a im grasping at straws here but ide say that its safe to assume that would include craftsmanship and welds again just my 2cents
The bracket that holds the tank in is spot welded to the tank but the tank flange also is bolted down. If the spot welds were to break the tank would still be bolted in through that bracket and the tank flange.