The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
joe231

Wipers too low

Hello everyone!

I picked up a 1996 K2500 GMC burb for super cheap. I mainly bought it for the Vortec 454/4L80E to replace the knocking TBI 454/4L80E in my 91 square body CCLB. After driving the burb, I kinda dig it. I've started fixing the issues it has. One problem was the windshield wipers didn't work. The motor ran but the wipers didn't move. Pulled the cowl piece off and found that the arm on the motor was loose. I placed the motor arm back in what I believe is the proper position and the wipers work now but they go completely off of the windshield in the down position and don't reach far enough in the up position. I have the adjustment on the wiper linkages as far as they will go in the correct direction and still the wipers are too low. I thought maybe it had the wrong motor arm, the wrong linkages, or the wrong wiper arms. I took everything to my local auto parts store, and they are all correct for this vehicle. I'm at a loss as to where the problem lies. I'm to the point now of modifying the wiper linkages to correct the issue.

Any input is appreciated!

Pic of the burb

Name:  IMG_5695.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  70.7 KB

Last edited by joe231; 09-02-2017 at 12:34 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
Kudzupatch

Re: Wipers too low

Wracking my brain trying to remember how I fixed that on mine. Had to replace the board in the motor and when I put it back on they were out of position. Maybe I will remember what I had to do to make it right latter.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
deejaaa1

board might fix it but could be someone moved the arms and didn't clock them correctly.
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
...68 Chevy Shortbed... guy clearcoated..and...threw glitter all over it...like he was feeding chickens!!!...
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
Wracking my brain trying to remember how I fixed that on mine. Had to replace the board in the motor and when I put it back on they were out of position. Maybe I will remember what I had to do to make it right latter.
Cool
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
board might fix it but could be someone moved the arms and didn't clock them correctly.
These arms aren't clockable, they have a groove and key that only allows them to be put on one way. Doesn't appear to be a board issue as it parks in the same position every time...
Old 09-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post

These arms aren't clockable, they have a groove and key that only allows them to be put on one way. Doesn't appear to be a board issue as it parks in the same position every time...
really? 8 years being a mechanic i have never seen any make or model have a set up like that, cause normally you just take the wiper arms off, make sure the wiper transmission is in the down position then re-instal

after googling it, yeah i see that little nub on where the arm attaches. that is very strange. i wonder if it was to combat the previous year gm's where the wiper arm used to strip off the gear

abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
Had nothing to do with the board, that was just why I had mine off and apart. Just remember having to take the motor off and put it back on to fix the problem but past that I just can not remember what I did.

Does the motor always stop in the same position or does it start and stop relative to where it (the shaft) was when it was powered on?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Pulled the cowl piece off and found that the arm on the motor was loose. I placed the motor arm back in what I believe is the proper position and the wipers work now but they go completely off of the windshield in the down position and don't reach far enough in the up position.
THATS IT!

I had to reread you post and it jogged my memory. You have the motor arm in the wrong position on the motor. I had to take the motor loose, loosen the nut so I could index the arm on the motor since there is no key or anything to get it back in the proper position. I have done it twice and mine is still slightly off but that is what you did wrong.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
joe231

Quote:
Had nothing to do with the board, that was just why I had mine off and apart. Just remember having to take the motor off and put it back on to fix the problem but past that I just can not remember what I did.

Does the motor always stop in the same position or does it start and stop relative to where it (the shaft) was when it was powered on?
Yeah always parks the same, so I believe the board is fine.

Quote:
THATS IT!

I had to reread you post and it jogged my memory. You have the motor arm in the wrong position on the motor. I had to take the motor loose, loosen the nut so I could index the arm on the motor since there is no key or anything to get it back in the proper position. I have done it twice and mine is still slightly off but that is what you did wrong.
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm gonna give it a try.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #9
joe231

I didn’t ever update this thread with a solution. Turns out the relation of the arms and the splined head where the wiper arm attaches had changed, I believe the cause to be that the wipers had been turned on previously with them frozen to the windshield tweaking the stub. I bought new stubs from the parts store and everything was good again.