The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
davepl

Best driveability for a square-bore carb?

I have a ZZ502 'disguised' as a 427/390. I currently have the factory oval port intake, which, when combined with the ZZ502 "roval" port heads, probably has a vacuum leak.

I did this all so I could run the right Q-jet. If someone makes a spread-bore intake that fits the Edelbrock/GM 'roval' heads, then that's what I want.

Failing that, I need to go back to a square port carb. These motors came with a Holley 850 double-pumper which might be great for the track and dyno but kind of suck for the street, cold starts, all of that.

With all the new "brands" of carbs and various "lines" from Holley, is there a "most driveable" carb? Like one that could have been stuck on a '75 Monte Carlo 454 for grandma to go to the store with? Without teaching her how to two-foot the car when cold and all of that nonsense?

Yes, I know everyone believes every holley will run properly when set up properly, but unless you're coming to my house to do that, I'd like to start with a more forgiving baseline....
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote