The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
steve aleve

Hydroboost Hook-Up Questions

Ok, I am doing a hydroboost from an astro and I have the stock steering box from the s10. I have a 5.3 Vortec with the PS pump and I think that the PS cooler is from a 5.3 as well. I am having trouble wrapping my head around how it all has to be connected. I have searched the internet and have found many diagrams that show how to hook it all up. The main question is.... does this look right to you? I have created a diagram that shows the components and where I am thinking they need to hook up but I have no idea.

How do I know which is high pressure vs. low pressure and the direction of the flow for all of the components? It is my understanding that the low pressure is usually just regular clamped hosing and the high pressure has the fittings, but I still do not know which direction everything flows. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Hydroboost Hook-Up Questions

The boost unit should dump directly into the pump. The return from the steering box should also dump directly into the pump. You should have a 3 line pump. one pressure and two returns so you don't pressurize the return system with either of the units.

Pump pressure is the thread in fitting goes to the boost unit pressure side, the boost unit pressure out goes to the pressure in on the box. Return from the boost unit goes to one of the pump returns. The box return goes to the cooler and then to the other pump return
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

dwcsr is on it..here's a link to a post we had a couple weeks ago..I've got some pics in it of how mines hooked up that might help you some to...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=hydroboost
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
Coupeguy2001

Another thing to think about.
The return to pump reservoir line is basically a cooling line. You understand that it is a fluid bleed-off to get the fluid through the booster and back to the pumo to keep it cool. There might be another reason for it, but I had a booster I bought overhauled, and a booster I got from another truck.
The bypass fittings on the boosters are different. One is larger than the other
I started off using the small one, and the steering was more sensitive than when I put the larger one on with a larger hose.

Don't know if the fluid got any cooler.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
steve aleve

This is fantastic info I can't thank you guys enough!!! Dwcsr, mongo and coupeguy thanks!!! So a quick follow up... Can I tee the two retuns into the pump or do I need a new pump with three ports?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #6
mr48chev

I'm not at home or I'd take a photo or two of the setup on my1 ton. It does have both return lines returning to the canister on the pump though.

I'm thinking both the pressure side and return side have T's cloose to the pump that split the lines.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Me myself and I would rather have the 3 fitting pump..but that's just us..I've seen them t'd and I've seen where some have tigged another hose barb on the pump tank..if you don't want to buy another pump just add another fitting to it...that's what we'd do..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #8
Coupeguy2001

I teed mine, and it seems to work just fine. I would have liked to use larger hoses, but with two returns, the pump doesn't starve for fluid. It is quiet as can be.
I ran all my lines down to the area under the cab inside the frame rail. It is out of the way and neat n clean.

Here is a pic of mine, The rubber hoses above the two steel pressure lines have hose clamps on them.

Here's my setup, before I put the 2 PSI check valve on it and tightened everything up. I remade the plate between the booster and the master to make it 1/4" thick

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 05-25-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
1project2many

Many people Tee the return line. I did so on my S10 HB install. It seemed to aggravate HB's tendency to temporarily reduce steering assist when tapping the brake pedal but it wasn't something I couldn't live with.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
_Ogre

i have both return lines run into a T and to a single return reservoir
can't comment on line hookup as i run a ford hydroboost

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
steve aleve

Thanks again for the help! I think I have a pretty good understanding of how it should all go together! Coupeguy, very nice clean setup!!!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #12
mr48chev

I looked at my 77 when I got home and it is hooked up petty much the same as the second drawing minus the cooler.

Pressure line runs from the pump to the Hydrovac, and from the hydovac to the gear box. there is a return line from the hydrovac and one from the pump.
The canister on my truck actually has two return fittings.

Greasy mess work truck that only goes somewhere when it has a real job to do.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote