The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
carwhore

Wheel and tire width

I'm sure this has been discussed. I will apologize in advance.

I have a 72 LWB with trailing arm suspension. The truck will be lowered in the rear air bags (not laying frame, 3-6in drop)

This truck will be set up for street/strip racing. I want to run the widest wheel I can fit on the rear with the tallest and widest tire.

My plans are to run a 15in rear wheel with slicks and drag radials.

Any help is appreciated!
carwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Wheel and tire width

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530806

this is in the FAQ section right above the button you clicked to start this thread. You can also do a quick search in the google box above the toolbar for this site and will get enough threads to keep you busy for days. Fleetside, stepside, year of the rearend under the truck, type of brakes you plan on running, all will play a part. We have a 'racing & high performance' section, lots of racers there, they may be able to help to, but ultimately you'll have to measure for yourself to be sure.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
carwhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530806

this is in the FAQ section right above the button you clicked to start this thread. You can also do a quick search in the google box above the toolbar for this site and will get enough threads to keep you busy for days. Fleetside, stepside, year of the rearend under the truck, type of brakes you plan on running, all will play a part. We have a 'racing & high performance' section, lots of racers there, they may be able to help to, but ultimately you'll have to measure for yourself to be sure.

I did read this thread. My truck is torn apart or i would just measure it. I was trying to see if someone had already done this to save me time. I'd like to put wheels on the chassis to roll it around.
carwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
PGSigns

If plan to drag race it I would look at going with a spring or a coil over rather than an air bag. The bag will be to soft of a spring rate. Also you are going to want or have to depending on how fast you plan to run go to a c clip eliminator kit on the rear or to a rear end that does not have c clips like a 9". That will also allow you to narrow the rear to get a wheel with a more centered hub. These trucks are easy to tub by just widening the stock wheel housing. There are also wider ones offered in fiberglass. Doing this will allow you to pick the tire you need verses what will fit. Then once you have the tire picked you can figure out the wheel based on you rear end and the tires shape. The section width is what you have to work with to make sure you have room on the tire. When we were building drag cars we built the rear end to match the wheel and tire choice so we could mount the tire and set the tire pressure and put it under the car. That way we were sure it all fit and we had the room we needed for the tire to move around. They get a lot taller when you do a burn out and can easily move side to side a couple of inches if you get a little crossed up.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote