The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2019, 01:03 AM   #51
kwmech

Re: Do people like the old truck manual transmissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Another option, and one I drool over, is the Advance Adapters overdrive. It's stick shifted, and mounts in front of the sm465. The price appears to be comparable to a sm465-to-nv4500 swap. Plus, you get twin sticks! How cool is that?
Have that set-up in my 68 along with a big block and 3.73 rear gears and a power-loc posi.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #52
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Another Mayall fan!
Yeppers!! Since I was but a young lad... since I first heard him. Been to see him in concert more times than I can count (more than 5 :lol)

My '67 SWB project will be an era-correct "hot truck", including Muncie Rock Crusher. It just seems right! Behind that I plan an auxiliary O/D (CV or DNE) to retain "fun gears" while making it good for my future travel dreams. I've considered selling to coded '65 Pontiac A-body M22 for all the money it's worth and go with a 5spd, which would be the economic choice. A 700r4 would be the simplest but I just got to have that stick shift because that was the performance choice in that era just before automatic came on strong on the strip. How cool would it be leaving a cruise-in split shifting like a big rig? Shifting/clutching is second nature for me. Never had a sore leg from a clutch. Plus there are Centerforce dual friction clutches to ease the strain

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #53
ManNamedJed

I'm considering adding one of these:
https://www.advanceadapters.com/cate...-splitter/236/

It would add overdrive, and allow you to split 3rd and 4th, and unlike the gear vendors, it goes in front of the trans, so it will work in 4wd.

Bonus for adding another stick. I figure it will blow the minds of those that barely know what a manual trans is.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #54
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Good riddance...

NO. I HATE them. They are an outdated concept that has no place on the congested roads of cities today. If you are fortunate enough to live in a small town with no traffic problems, then they are much more tolerable. I converted my 68 stepside to a 1986 Corvette 700R4, and it was the right decision. My 67 GMC 3500 has 4 speed granny gears, but I have no money to convert it at this time. Someday...
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #55
68panelman

I love them. It's part of the old truck time machine feeling I get when I drive them, especially my 3ott 67, they actually calm me down when I drive.
All my trucks are manual shift, I stopped giving a shiz about the guy behind me long ago. Not saying I'm
"one of those guys", I keep up with the pack, but keep ample braking distance.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #56
garyd1961

Keep the trans and buy a Toyota Corolla for the traffic.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #57
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
I'm considering adding one of these:
https://www.advanceadapters.com/cate...-splitter/236/

It would add overdrive, and allow you to split 3rd and 4th, and unlike the gear vendors, it goes in front of the trans, so it will work in 4wd.

Bonus for adding another stick. I figure it will blow the minds of those that barely know what a manual trans is.
I think that that is pretty cool, but not good for bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Keep the trans and buy a Toyota Corolla for the traffic.
And that is just what I did, though the '68 Skylark GS that I replaced the Corolla with had an automatic. I weighed out the cost and effort for putting AC in the Skylark, plus putting an interior and body work and paint, and it turned into a better deal to buy a new econobox. I've had that thing for 15 years now. It has 221k miles on it, and the only thing wrong with it is that the paint is shot because I was out of town on business at Cape Canaveral for 2 -1/2 years and the family never washed it or waxed it while I was gone.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #58
special-K
Special Order

Re: Good riddance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
They are an outdated concept that has no place on the congested roads of cities today.
Stop and go traffic was around in '72. Makes me wonder how I managed to do just that in so many trucks and how big rigs get the products we need to where we buy them. They wouldn't still be offered if they had no place on today's modern congested roads. We all have our tolerances, some much lower than others. My son has no problem in his 6spd X-runner and neither did my ex-wife in every vehicle she owned until the last one she left in. My other son and my daughter all drove manuals for their first cars. My daughter lived in Denver where there is no congestion

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-07-2019, 12:45 AM   #59
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Stop and go traffic was around in '72. Makes me wonder how I managed to do just that in so many trucks and how big rigs get the products we need to where we buy them. They wouldn't still be offered if they had no place on today's modern congested roads. We all have our tolerances, some much lower than others. My son has no problem in his 6spd X-runner and neither did my ex-wife in every vehicle she owned until the last one she left in. My other son and my daughter all drove manuals for their first cars. My daughter lived in Denver where there is no congestion
It just comes down to what one will tolerate or has to tolerate when driving, really. Yes? Driving an automatic in stupid traffic made sense to me at the time. I suspect that the traffic where you are might be a little less stupid...or maybe a lot less. I know that when I lived in Idaho, the driving was a lot less stupid, but that was in the mid-'70s. Now that all those California prunes are moving up there,it's gonna get stupid, bet you money.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:54 AM   #60
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
It just comes down to what one will tolerate or has to tolerate when driving, really. Yes? Driving an automatic in stupid traffic made sense to me at the time. I suspect that the traffic where you are might be a little less stupid...or maybe a lot less. I know that when I lived in Idaho, the driving was a lot less stupid, but that was in the mid-'70s. Now that all those California prunes are moving up there,it's gonna get stupid, bet you money.
Oh no, I can assure you the area Tim is from is full of ass hat drivers. That’s part of the reason I live in New Mexico and not Northern Virginia any more. Ive driven 465’s a lot in stop and go and I really don’t see what all the fuss is about. Drive defensively and it’s not the end of the world. That said traffic in New Mexico is awesome. If I see 10 cars on the road to work every morning it’s busy.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #61
special-K
Special Order

I haven't worked in suburban Montgomery County, drive on I-270, I-495, or anywhere near Washington, DC. I used to and I did it in manual trucks. Heavy work trucks. These days you hit bumper to bumper on I-70 east of the US40 split and MD32 heading south. I drive an automatic and I talk back roads to avoid those messes. Coming up I-95 from the south I get off at Fredericksburg, VA and cut cross country up US17 to US15. Now development is congesting in on that. The good thing is I haven't been on that route in a decade. Certainly not a daily concern.

It's true these days I avoid the traffic mess areas as much as possible. Basically it does not exist in my live, now. I am all about the grey areas and find black & white either/or mentality to be amusingly close minded and blind. That's why I had to laugh at "manuals have no place". I would never surrender myself to this pure hell I see described by those who deal with this daily. I would move or find a job at least pay that allowed me to avoid it. I've always avoided it when possible. Manuals quickly find their place in this modern world once snow falls

Beautiful Harpers Ferry, West Virginia where the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers meet and cut through the Blue Ridge Mountains and hikers on the Maine to Georgia Appalachian Trail can hike into a restaurant for a warm prepared meal at a table. A place away from the hustle and bustle of Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD where people go to get away. A place to camp, kayak, canoe, tube, take a raft trip, or try your hand at small mouth bass fishing.
Name:  harpers-ferry_3.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  43.9 KB

See that bridge? That's US340. It crosses the Potomac once and the Shenandoah once where it squeezes down to two lanes carved into the mountainside with the river dropped down on the other side. I call it "The Narrows". It is the 'only' route through that area for many miles around. You go from Maryland to Virginia to West Virginia in a couple miles. On the stretch between the bridges there are two roads to access those areas of VA and WVA. To make matters worse there is a traffic light at one. And, the Charles Town area has seen major housing development. M-F you have terrible backups for many miles through the whole area from commuter traffic and on the weekends it's just as bad from pleasure seekers. I'm looking to buy out that way on the Maryland side where I can get off US340 before approaching the river

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 12-07-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #62
Jrainman

I find it very said that the manual transmission in general is a thing of the past , I learned how to drive on a 3 on the tree MJ 2a when I was 10 years old , , today most people cant even drive Manual , every time I have to have my car valet parked I always have to wait till the one guy that knows how to drive a manua andl if they have one ,if not they just point and say park it right there .
Attached Images

Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #63
weim55

At the moment I’m putting together an injected 4.0 jeep in-line six swap in my completely stock and original ‘50 3600. I decided to stay with the OE column shift SM 318 three speed. A swap bell housing is available in the aftermarket. The transmission will be a ‘modern’ SM318 3 speed overdrive from a ‘63 Impala. A couple of my car guy friends think it is ludicrous I would upgrade the engine and nothing else on the truck. That old column shift three speed is such a huge piece of the personality of the truck, I just can’t let it go. The slower shifting and the gear whine, I just can’t wrap my head around driving one of these old trucks without it. Even the nonsyncro first gear, once you’ve figured out your timing with double clutching, it’s fun to master that shifting smoothly without a crunch, part of the experience too! Admittedly this will just be a fun truck and likely never see any real traffic, but even if I did it would be OK, I’ll just be the one hanging back creeping along slowly .....

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #64
weim55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Oh no, I can assure you the area Tim is from is full of ass hat drivers. That’s part of the reason I live in New Mexico and not Northern Virginia any more. Ive driven 465’s a lot in stop and go and I really don’t see what all the fuss is about. Drive defensively and it’s not the end of the world. That said traffic in New Mexico is awesome. If I see 10 cars on the road to work every morning it’s busy.
I’ve lived on the front range in Colorado all my life and parts of it weren’t too different from living in New Mexico as far as the traffic goes. Then Colorado passed legal recreational marijuana........ it was like a buffalo stampede of people moving here from every corner of the nation. Now Denver and the front range is tasting the style of traffic in Southern California. It’s completely ruined the quality of living here. New Mexico is looking like a better place for me and my old iron every day ............

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited by weim55; 12-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #65
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
I find it very said that the manual transmission in general is a thing of the past , I learned how to drive on a 3 on the tree MJ 2a when I was 10 years old , , today most people cant even drive Manual , every time I have to have my car valet parked I always have to wait till the one guy that knows how to drive a manua andl if they have one ,if not they just point and say park it right there .
LoL, that just reminded me of a time I took a date out in my '68 3ott for some swanky eats and parking was valet only..

awkward stares from the guys at the drop off looking at shifter and clutch so they asked me to park it
Old 12-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #66
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
I’ve lived on the front range in Colorado all my life and parts of it weren’t too different from living in New Mexico as far as the traffic goes. Then Colorado passed legal recreational marijuana........ it was like a buffalo stampede of people moving here from every corner of the nation. Now Denver and the front range is tasting the style of traffic in Southern California. It’s completely ruined the quality of living here. New Mexico is looking like a better place for me and my old iron every day ............

Steve weim55 Colorado
I hear that loud and clear Durango is a friggen mess anymore. It’s such a pretty place but the pot heads have really brung it down. New Mexico is a nice place, it’s pretty quiet and there’s lots of good people, food and scenic desert views. We like the outdoor life style, jump in a truck or Jeep drive to the top of a mountain and camp for a week type of thing, so we really like it down here. I don’t agree with the predominant political culture but as long as they leave me and my guns, and the oil fields that let me provide for my family alone I won’t complain too much.

Tim, thanks for posting that picture of home. As you know I was fortunate enough to grow up 5 miles south of Harpers Ferry on VA-671 (Harpers Ferry Rd.) The waterfall that is almost across from the gas station at 340-671 is really cool, my kids love to go down there. The creek that feeds it ran right by the house I grew up in. Such an amazing place, to this day it’s my New Mexican wife’s favorite place. We go at least once a year. The ghost tours that start at the church in the picture are pretty fun and they include lots of interesting history Lessons too. I sure do miss THAT part of the area and points to the west in the Shenandoah Valley, east... meh... not missing much there.

Last edited by 57taskforce; 12-07-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #67
ManNamedJed

In stop and go traffic, put it in low gear and just idle along. Cars stop and go ahead and you just putt along. Usually you are just getting up to them when they pull forward the next 50 ft.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #68
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptjsk View Post
I have one in my old '72 Stepside and I still like it. With 373 gears, I don't have to worry about speeding tickets. LOL!

Pat
Try it with 4:57s like in my 68. I love it the way it is
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #69
akart

I have been driving with the SM465 for 39 years and in 4 trucks.I wouldn't look at anything else. That 3to4 does have quite a spread But I just put in new heads 72cc and dual exhaust and a moderate cam that makes a big difference.Lots more torque in the lower RPMs in 4th. Very driveable. K20,86 body,74frame and 84 running gear.Perfect set up. And 13.5 MPG.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #70
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
Now Denver and the front range is tasting the style of traffic in Southern California. It’s completely ruined the quality of living here. New Mexico is looking like a better place for me and my old iron every day ............

Steve weim55 Colorado
As a near life-long New Mexican with family ties there I’d recommend WY or MT as possible relocation destinations. At least avoid Albuquerque. No disrespect to Tyler. Public land access is S N.M. has been increasingly restricted and I’m very bitter about that amongst a myriad of other issues. We are now in WI - couldn’t be happier with the community here.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #71
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
As a near life-long New Mexican with family ties there I’d recommend WY or MT as possible relocation destinations. At least avoid Albuquerque. No disrespect to Tyler. Public land access is S N.M. has been increasingly restricted and I’m very bitter about that amongst a myriad of other issues. We are now in WI - couldn’t be happier with the community here.
I can certainly see your points Pete, you won’t catch me going any further south than Farmington for the foreseeable future. Abq is such a damn mess it’s not funny. Things are still relatively calm up here for now. Our current governor can go to hell.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:43 AM   #72
clay68c10

Man, just reading this makes me want to move back to Wyoming.
And have another beer!!
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:46 AM   #73
mr.precision

Have one in my '67 stepper. Love it. Different mentality in driving, and I don't do traffic around here very often. Now if my knees would just hold up another few years, I'd be set for life.
mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #74
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
They started calling 1st low, second 1st, and so on when people started getting too modern to figure things out on their own
Good point. I believe it was sometime in the square door years the knobs got re configured. Who knows how many u joints were destroyed by oil and tire changers with the earlier design knobs.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #75
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Its all I had for a lot of years. My knees and I grew weary of clutching and shifting. But now I wish I had a truck with that set up. Wouldn't be an every day driver, and my grand daughter could learn to drive a real clutch/4-sp set up.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote