The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Shucks

Shucks First Build

Hey guys, this is my first truck build/restoration. I'm just a 17 year old kid who wants to be proud of something that hes built. The truck body will be mostly at home work and the motor will be a project in my auto tech class in school, mainly because my teacher knows a motor inside and out and my dad really never got too into that stuff. So, since that I am 17 and may not do things right, hell or even get it done, I still came here so I can get some input from you fellas!
Heres what I got goin on...
The truck was free, its a 1979 Chevy 2wd reg cab Stepside with 75,000 original miles with no motor and transmission. The truck is a 2 owner pickup and sat for a long time. But this truck will get me experience with all the bushings, cab mounts, welding panels, motor and trans installation which I already know the basics... just about everything I want to know.

Todays first process.

Hopefully sandblast the frame before it gets too chilly. If you wonder why I'm starting the frame clean up now, its because I dont have a motor and tranny to work around, so Ill clean the frame in sections, rear first, then the front last. I really want to take the cab off but I'm not sure how to without a cherry picker..

My free 1978 4 bolt 350 and free motor stand. Motor runs but needs rebuilt, Main bearings are probably shot. Its my school project.

Also came with free shorties!

I know I have a handful of stuff to do and its gonna be a slow process. I have a good paying job at John Deere so I dont plan on running out of cash, unless I get fired and Im trying to stop chasing girls around so I dont have to pay for movie tickets
So far I havent payed for anything! So I cant complain too much at this point...

Last edited by Shucks; 12-01-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Shucks is offline   Reply With Quote