The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
truckster

First Attempt at Sheet Metal

I started working on putting my Blazer back together, and I decided to repair the fenders that were on it when I bought it. The right side only has a couple of dings, but the left had these holes that looked like a bumper had worn through it at some point.

I decided to try welding them up using 18 gauge sheet metal for the smaller hole and a piece I cut out of a damaged fender for the larger hole. Here's how it ended up. My plan from here is to use a little body putty to finish it off, but if any of the body and paint guys out there think I should do something different I'd like to know.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
MP&C

Re: First Attempt at Sheet Metal

Narrow slivers are the hardest to repair as it concentrates the heat in such a confined area, adding to distortion and shrinking issues. For any such future work I would suggest a wider, parallel gap with a radius at the end. The wider the better, for separating the heat affected zones. Position seams where better access for planishing the welds exists..

For that damage, given adequate access from the back, I would have considered making one large patch to span the two slices, cutting out the center, using a radius at the end. This would give you two horizontal weld passes vs. the four that you used. Less welds, less distortion.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
MARTINSR

That stuff looks pretty good but can you show what in the hell you are working on. I can't for the life of me figure out what I am looking at.

The only real bad thing I see is you changed the "body line" on that recessed area. It will now have to be sculpted out of bondo.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
BIGglaSS

If you can see daylight through it, it's not ready for filler.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
72HuggerK20

MARTINSR that is the front fender of a 67-72 pickup. The part he is working on is half hidden by the front bumper.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Ahhh, thanks, ok, I can see that now. But it's not hidden, the bumper rides above that. The line is going to have to be made out of bondo, not a good way to go.

Brian

Old 11-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
truckster

Well, I ran out of warm weather so it will have to do for now. I sealed it with primer and once I get the engine in and my new wiring harness done I'll hang the front clip and drive it for the winter.

I'm a decent welder, but sheet metal is a whole different beast. Fortunately, I have some spare panels to practice on.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Well, I ran out of warm weather so it will have to do for now. I sealed it with primer and once I get the engine in and my new wiring harness done I'll hang the front clip and drive it for the winter.

I'm a decent welder, but sheet metal is a whole different beast. Fortunately, I have some spare panels to practice on.
OH HELL YEAH it's a whole different beast! I have an old friend who is a professional welder. He had a pocket knife with a tiny perfect bead laid on the back edge of the blade. But put him on a car.....OMG I couldn't even fix what he screwed up, OMG! It was a 39 Chevy sedan, I remember it well trying to correct what he did, YEOW.

Brian