The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2017, 10:56 PM   #1
68blackbird

'50 GMC build questions...

Getting close to wrapping up my '59 Apache project for my buddy. Here is link if any is interested -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VkTlBmak5KZmhn

It's been both fun & challenging. Liked it so much, I went and got one for myself. '50 GMC. Very solid truck, only blowouts were cab corners and floor pan, all else is surface rust. Doors close solid, windows go up and down, rolls easy, paid $1600 and that was with clean title and delivered, feeling good about that.

Been reading a lot about S10 swap, Mustang II kits, LS swap. My buddy has done a couple LS swaps, so I have a good source there, we can get complete motor/tranny & harness for bout $1500. We were talking tonight and he got me thinking, how many folks have done one of these builds and retained the stock front end, brakes/springs, drums ect? I had pretty much planned on going with Stang II kits with LS. I just want a daily driver that I can take to Home Depot or road trip anywhere, no need to go fast. Thanks, Kel
Attached Images

68blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: '50 GMC build questions...

I know they made a lot of drum brake vehicles over the years...but youd be relying on 60yr old technology...there's a lot to be said for upgrading to disc brakes and coil springs..this has also started a lot of deeeep discussion on this vs that....stock frame will be fine if its in good shape...might want to think about boxing it though...at least in the front....and from experience. ..if you drop in a ls ,its gonna be hard to just drive it easy down to the lumber yard....nice truck by the way..and a killer price. ..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote