The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
jeffs56

56 chevy pickup steering

Hey guys, I have a Camaro clip frame that needs some parts and I also have a stock frame with dropped axle and springs. I also have the correct steering parts from side dropped axle. I'm still up in the air on which to use. That decision is going on for a few years now unfortunately. My question is I had the original column in it, but it has been cut off right at the box. So what would I need to fix that to either use the stock box with a aftermarket tilt column, or what box is best to use to replace the stock box that has been cut. Thanks again guys
jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: 56 chevy pickup steering

if the box is cut off with a stub hanging out you may be able to use it still. you need enough room to get a flat spot ground in to the input shaft to hold the universal joint. before you do that though, make sure to check the box, it could be worn out. not much to them if you wanna pull it apart for a look see. check here for more info

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/56134.htm
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
jeffs56

Here's a pic, if it will load
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
dsraven

yup, thats pretty short.
best look around for another box. now would be a great time to upgrade to power steering.the link is an article on the subject

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/power...traight-axles/

parts kit from google search

http://www.cmwtrucks.com/index.php/5...ng-column.html

or thereis this method with the box out front. some guys say the tires rub at hard right turns.

http://www.classicperform.com/power2.htm

anyway, you get the idea.
buying a used box may be cheaper but make sure you either get it cheap or check it our well to be sure it isn't worn out inside.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
jeffs56

If i go the used box route, it would have to be a Toyota box right? Or take the chance on seeing if certain wheels will work. This is why I keep going back and forth with just using the camaro clip frame or mustang 2
Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
jeffs56

Here's my camaro frame. Needs new brakes all 4 corners, rear is a disc brake rearend not sure what it's out of. And the alignment is way off, so of course that worries me. Not sure if it's welded in straight or if it's just the tow in and out adjustment
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
dsraven

kinda looks like the frame is already set up with a rear fuel tank etc. I would take a serious look at it for sure. wheel alignment is secondary as long as the reference points for frame alignment to the clip are good. having the rear disc is a bonus as long as the guts are good. it already has a bunch of what you would want to have for a daily driver. check it out for sure to see if the install is proper. post up some (right side up) pics of the rear end diff cover, rear brake set up, fuel tank, front clip weld in area etc and we can prolly figure out what you have and how good it looks.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
jeffs56

See if this works
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #9
dsraven

hey, that's better. I would say the diff is mid '80's camaro because of the 2 big bolt holes for the link to connect the diff to the raer of the trans, some sort of traction control bar set up.
not sure on the front end because I am not the front clip guy, but for sure you gotta take the steering box off (without turning it so it has a chance to suck up any dirt), tip it upside down and flush out those hose connections with some brake clean or some other solvent. see what you have after that.
not too sure what the large lump of metal is on the frame by the rear wheels either but would say it could be a tire biter.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
dsraven

you may also wanna check the diff tube for dirt that has dropped into the hole where the breather vent would be. maybe take it all apart and flush it out with solvent and a garden sprayer. check bearings, replace seals etc. dont want diff oil on the brakes from a leaky seal.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
jeffs56

The big lump of metal was the previous guy messing my bed up and had it just sitting on the frame not lined up and in the wrong spot
Old 09-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
dsraven

depending on your desired ride height you may have clearance issues above the diff against the frame. you need at least 3 inches and even then it could bottom on speed bumps etc. maybe wanna put a nice thick snubber on the frame to assist that issue if that becomes a problem. an S10 has a nice beehive shaped urethane snubber that may be usefull but would require a bracket.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
tmoble

What they said. Looks like a Camaro disc brake rear. easy to work with, cheap parts like calipers, rotors, pads, etc. Look carefully at the rear where the axles come out of the housing. See if there's old grease and dirt built up. if none, likely the bearing and seals are OK. You will need to have at least 3" between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame. I had to C-notch my frame there when I had that setup.

That Camaro front end is about the best front suspension installed in an American car without getting into Vettes. Use it if you can. Bushing, ball joints and tie rods are cheap. The rotors and calipers are cheap too. You can use a master cylinder for a mid 80's Camaro with rear disc. It'll have a fast steering gear box and you'll be able to run a stock 1-1/8" stabilizer bar. You're truck will steer and handle like a Camaro.

Can you post up a side shot of where the frame meets the front clip?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:33 AM   #14
jeffs56

I will get more pics tomorrow. I want torun the master cylinder and pedal that mounts on the frame I think it will look nicer. The 80 camaro master cylinder will only run on the firewall correct? I think all my bushings are newer on the front suspension. I'm just thinking since it's been sitting I'll probably need new rotors and calipers, but not sure if I'm right on that
Old 09-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
dsraven

-you can run the correct master for your 80 camaro front clip as long as you get the one for disc/disc application and it will bolt up to your booster. you would mount it on the frame mounted booster like usual and probably run some valves inline, called residual valves, to hold a 2 lb pressure in the system. some master cylinders have them built in but more or less just the ones built for drum brake applications. this is to keep the fluid from running all back into the master cyl when the brakes are released because the master cylinder is quite a bit lower than when firewall mounted. when that happens it takes a bunch of pedal movement on the next brake application in order to fill the system back up again and usually results in a spongy pedal.

here is a quick explanation.

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/r...eck-valve.html

and an idea for pricing

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...48183/10002/-1

you may also require an adjustable proportioning valve to regulate how much brake bias you have. brake bias is how muich front brake you get compared to rear brake. this is so you don't skid the rear wheels every time you hit the brakes.

here is an explanation from a super chevy article

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/713...tioning-valve/

-you will probably want a dual diaphragm brake booster in order to have decent power assist and still be able to have room for other stuff, like exhaust pipes etc, under the floor area. another thought would be to install a hydroboost system from an astro van or 1/2 ton that would give you awesome power assist and take up waaay less space. you would need a power steering pump that has 2 return ports or else do some creative plumbing. check ogre's build to see what he has done, or send him a pm and maybe he can send you a couple of pics. if you google hydroboost you will see it is not that complicated to figure out.

below is a link with some pics of the vac booster so you can see how much room it takes and how it looks generally.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523434

below is a link to this site where guys have built their own version of hydroboost for the 55-59 trucks. you could pm then individually for more info and pics. read the whole thing for talk about master cyl choices, pedal ratios etc

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498494

below is a link to POL's version with pricing for a kit but it also has a pic so you can see what it would look like. there are guys on this site who have done their own and it was likely cheaper. not sure on what you have for fabrication skills and tools.

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...e-Booster-Kit/

-you will probably be needing to replace the old rotors and pads and possibly the calipers due to age and possibly sticky or seized caliper pistons. you may also want to bend you brake hoses sharply and check for any cracking of the rubber hose and also give them a little tug to check for stretch. you don't wanna do all that work and then blow a brake hose and crash. hoses are pretty cheap really and easy to do when your system is apart anyway. when purchasing the rotors look for the ones that are coated or painted on the non brake surfaces. the other raw steel ones will rust and make a mess on your wheels all the time. unless you paint them first.

-you may want to at least check the front end suspension parts for wear before you get anything else assembled. it is easier to do that work without a truck body sitting on top of the frame. parts for that front end will be fairly cheap as well but price it all out and go from there. it is better to start with a good base under your truck than to get a bunch of other work done and then have to go back and take it apart to fix some loose steering items. if you do it all properly the first time it is less expensive overall and you have peace of mind as well with no hidden last minute expenses like when you take it for alignment and the guy calls and says he can't do it without new ball joints or whatever.

-
Old 09-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #16
dsraven

heres a current post for some input on the vac booster on the framer scenario

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...68#post8049168
Old 09-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
bowt1ed

Use the 2nd Gen sub, replace all ball joints, bushings, steering linkage with Moog, replace steering box with 3rd Gen 2.5 turn (@$150 NAPA). Will drive like a dream.

Cheers, Jim
Attached Images

bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
jeffs56

Very nice setup. I think my front sub is the 2nd gen, can you tell?
Old 09-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #19
jeffs56

Do you happen to have the part numbers to the steering box and the moog parts. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #20
jeffs56

More pics
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
jeffs56

1 more
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #22
dsraven

anybody got any ideas? I am thinking the diff is3rd gen camaro because it looks like the housing has the traction control link bolt holes. no idea on the front end. any of you camaro clip guys watching?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #23
59chev

Clip looks like a 2nd gen. Looks just like mine. I can't confirm but I understand that the braces from the front cross member to the sides make it a z28 clip

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

Last edited by 59chev; 09-27-2017 at 11:47 PM.
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
59chev

Here is mine. 81 Camaro clip
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #25
jeffs56

A couple more
Attached Images