The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
larry horne

What Maintenance Should I Do?

Bought a 2006 2500 HD Ext Cab Short Bed in very good shape. It has the 6.0L, Auto Trans with 4.10 gears. It has 100,000 + miles on the clock. Someone drove it allot but seems to be all highway miles.

It was a leased truck and both exterior and interior is in great shape. Its a basic work truck that I am using to tow a 8000 lb boat.

I have changed the oil and filter, full syn and K&N 10 mic filter, lubed the front end, checked the brake pads, changed the spark plugs, installed tool box and rod holder. Had LINEX installed and windows tinted very dark.

What next? Trans fluid and filter change? Shocks?

The truck seems to have been well maintained but I need to know what to do next. The rotors seem to be warped, not sure if front or rear so I plan to true them up. Exshaust is fine. The tires are good, Michelen LTX but when they need replacing the rims go! Steel 16".

Truck seems to need leveling, can the TB's be adjusted to raise the front end an inch or two?

What would you do next?

Lar
larry horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: What Maintenance Should I Do?

I would follow the same guidelines GM set for the truck; I just can't think of them off hand.

In the owner's manual it should mention the regular maintenance that should be accounted for at certain mileage marks. I would consider changing the trans. fluid. It sounds like you came away with a great truck, so congrats on the buy!

As far as the leveling kit, I would consider changing the keys to accomplish the lift up front. I like to keep the front suspension as close to factory specs and have turned the TBs on a past vehicle and regretted it.

Best of luck on the project, and be sure to post some pics!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
larry horne

Thanks and BTW, paid 10,500 for it. I think I got a decent deal.
larry horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
quadracer812

I would do a tranny flush, not just dropping the pan, use a flush machine. change t-case fluid if it is a 4x4, and rear end fluid changed. check your ps fluid. you can so your tb to raise it, but I would recomend gettint new tb keys. they are cheap and they say they change the ride that much. then you will need to alighn it
quadracer812 is offline   Reply With Quote