The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
geunther

Original Front Shock Mount

My shocks are date coded for December of 1971, which is consistent wth my January 72 build date. All indications are that the original shocks are sill on the truck.

The top mount of the front shocks do not have a nut. It appears as though there is just a stud bolted to the frame and the shock just sort of hangs on the stud. Both sides are the same. The stud does is not threaded (except for where it bolts to the frame) and it does not appear broken.

Can someone with original shocks confirm that there should not be a nut holding the top of the front shocks?
Attached Images

geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Original Front Shock Mount

There should be a nut and washer , it appears that someone sheared off the threaded section of the shock mount .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:06 AM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I've seen upper front shock mounts wallow out the mounting hole in the frame, but never seen both threaded areas of the mount sheared off.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
geunther

It doesn't make sense to me that someone sheered off both sides, yet did not replace the shocks. I am able to get the studs off, they are not rusted on or anything. The studs do not appear to be sheered off, threaded or broken. I have driven the truck quite a bit and never had a problem with the shocks falling off.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

When you buy new front shocks for these trucks, the shock comes with a new upper shock mount that will have the threads and the nut and washer for the stud.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Grumpy Old Man is wrong. The original shocks had captured upper studs in them. When you replace them you need to install a new threaded stud. That's why they include the new studs like Gasoline mentioned.

Here is a picture I took years ago of a low mile 68 chassis that I had. Notice the upper shock mounts.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
It doesn't make sense to me that someone sheered off both sides, yet did not replace the shocks. I am able to get the studs off, they are not rusted on or anything. The studs do not appear to be sheered off, threaded or broken. I have driven the truck quite a bit and never had a problem with the shocks falling off.
Lots of things previous owners did or neglected to do will never make sense. There's never a rhyme or reason for the stupid stuff they do.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Grumpy Old Man is wrong. The original shocks had captured upper studs in them. When you replace them you need to install a new threaded stud. That's why they include the new studs like Gasoline mentioned.

Here is a picture I took years ago of a low mile 68 chassis that I had. Notice the upper shock mounts.

Thats the answer to the question right there.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
harpo231

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Lots of things previous owners did or neglected to do will never make sense. There's never a rhyme or reason for the stupid stuff they do.
I wouldnt say stupid.. these trucks were workers .. on the farm poppop would just do what he had to do to get her back to work.
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
Grumpy old man

Quote:

Hahaha , Sorry the "capture washer" is sheared off , Point being they don't just hang freely on the shaft. Thanks for pointing that out .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
1968aj

so how do you remove the factory shocks if there are no threads? I looked at mine and could not figure out how to remove it.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
geunther

Quote:

I did some more research and agree with you. There was a little washer pressed onto the stud which must have worked loose. The studs was sort of pressed in the center to flare it out, which held on the retaining washer.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
geunther

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968aj View Post
so how do you remove the factory shocks if there are no threads? I looked at mine and could not figure out how to remove it.
The stud is threaded through the frame with a nut on the inside of the frame rail. Some shocks come with the stud already attached at the top mount. The pic shows the bottom mount but it would be the same as the top mount of my original mount.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

It always amazes me the level some guys will geek over shocks. When I had that chassis years ago and posted pictures of it, the PMs started rolling in from guys wanting to buy those original shocks from me. I was floored. Who would want a set of crappy 35 year old shocks ? Yet, guys did want them, and I surprisingly sold them quickly on the board. Who knows how many sets of them I threw away over the years. Back in the 80s I was a rookie at a shop learning my chops. I changed a pile of those old shocks out and threw them in the scrap pile.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
leftybass209

Quote:
It always amazes me the level some guys will geek over shocks. When I had that chassis years ago and posted pictures of it, the PMs started rolling in from guys wanting to buy those original shocks from me. I was floored. Who would want a set of crappy 35 year old shocks ? Yet, guys did want them, and I surprisingly sold them quickly on the board. Who knows how many sets of them I threw away over the years. Back in the 80s I was a rookie at a shop learning my chops. I changed a pile of those old shocks out and threw them in the scrap pile.
I guess it would make sense if everything else on these trucks were date coded and documented with some verifiable source, but alas, there is no such thing. There's a vintage charm in having the old shocks rebuilt (or any OEM parts)I suppose. Unfortunately there's no way to accurately perform a concours restoration with these trucks. Maybe the shocks are date code usable on other more well documented GM vehicles?
Old 06-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #16
geunther

Quote:
It always amazes me the level some guys will geek over shocks.
It's all about that date code. Without it, no one would care.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #17
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
I wouldnt say stupid.. these trucks were workers .. on the farm poppop would just do what he had to do to get her back to work.
I'll stick with stupid. Not many farm trucks around here and yet there's still plenty of wildly unsafe backyard mechanic fixes and neglected trucks that drive the cities and highways.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #18
dfosh

I just removed shocks from 68 GMC that were just hanging on the stud .
dfosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #19
beautimus

you have a lot of good info on here already but let me add that my new shocks came with a threaded stud with a nut and washer for it on the outside.
maybe thats a good way to tell aftermarket shocks from factory ones.
i cant say for sure that my original shocks had the pressed on washer at the end or not, as mine looked to have been replaced at least once before i got it. and it had the threads and nut on the end also. i cant help but wonder if all the factory shocks had that captured washer originally. i could be wrong
Tony
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #20
TCLARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
My shocks are date coded for December of 1971, which is consistent wth my January 72 build date. All indications are that the original shocks are sill on the truck.

The top mount of the front shocks do not have a nut. It appears as though there is just a stud bolted to the frame and the shock just sort of hangs on the stud. Both sides are the same. The stud does is not threaded (except for where it bolts to the frame) and it does not appear broken.

Can someone with original shocks confirm that there should not be a nut holding the top of the front shocks?
Looks like your sleeve is still on the bolt, came off the rubber bushing.
TCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote