The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

Asking for suggestions - '54 Burb ground-up

Origional plans called for a new Ramjet 350 with a TCI 700r, narrowed 9", Heidts Superglide IFS, 4 bar with air ride in the rear. No OT in the last two years is cramping my build budget (plus trying to save for retirement and buy a place in the country). Anyhow, here's what I currently have in inventory: '54 Chevy Suburban, the Heidts Superglide (to be purchased from friend for 75% of current retail - it is new with larger than standard brakes and manufactured specific for this vehicle), a 1994 9C1 with only 86,000 mi.
Recently I rode in a '53 Chevy panel that had rebuilt stock style rear springs with some good shocks and was surprised how nice it rode. This will be my family highway traveling vehicle. Travel plans call for this burb to carry my "honey" and I (with occasionally a Grand kid or two) to at least a major car/truck show in every state before I croak! I'm very interested in dependability, service and as good a mileage as I can get without having a "wimpmobile". I'm now thinking of going ahead and using the LT1- (maybe a valve job, new chain, MSD ignition, clean the injectors) and the 4L60 out of the 9C1. I'm not sure on the rear end, maybe shorten the one out of the 9C1 since it already has disks or an appropriate width late model rear with discs.
Use stock style parallel rear springs with an air ride assist system and rear sway bar. I've looked at the Porterbuilt front crossmember and it's BEAUTIFUL. A freind of mine is currently installing one in his '64 Chevy PU.
I'm not greatly concerned with the exterior. The body is very straight and clean. I just need to get the chassis and mechanicals decided on. That way once I start taking this apart, I'll know what I want to do and there'll be alot less time spent "scratchin' and figurin'" and more time working!
Thanks in advance for any and all input. I'm pretty excited about getting this underway and I'm getting tremendous support from the wife cause she wants more room for "Cruisin"!
Here's the victim:
Attached Images

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:49 AM   #2
55dude

Re: Asking for suggestions - '54 Burb ground-up

cool project! i have 54' burb project on "hold" for now. i like the visor and what is the rack off of? post more pic's if you have any.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Atomsplitter

Congrats on the 'Burb. I would go with the 5.7L LT1 but hook it up to the 700R4 but then I'm a bit biased as I have one from a '95 Impala SS. A friend of mine is my local LT1 expert and he has helped me to clean up the wiring harness to eliminate unwanted wiring for stuff like Low Washer Fluid warning and such. The Computer Prom will need to be reflashed but that motor is very efficient and puts out enough power (stock is 260hp) to keep most of us happy. The lock-up torque converter can be manipulated with a manual switch for highway use or you can eliminate it all together. If you need parts like a NEW Water Pump ($169.18), Opti-Spark Distributor ($247.25) with vent harness ($18.33), Intake Manifold Gaskets, etc. contact Dal Slabaugh via e-mail @ lockitup@ohio.net. He works through a GM dealership in Ohio so everything is Delco and his prices can't be beat.
Good Luck.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

55dude - I'll post the other couple of pics a have. Once I start the disassembly, I'll get more detailed pics.
Atomsplitter - thanks a bunch. I'll keep the info handy.

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote