The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
jweb

Anyone install a Speedway 4 link?

I just ordered a Speedway bolt in 4 link but the instructions only show how to bolt it on their frame rails. They said it will fit on stock rails and I have seen others use it but there are no instructions.

Anyone use this and have any measurements or tips?
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
67 chevelle

Re: Anyone install a Speedway 4 link?

Post a link to the kit if you can , I did a tci 4 link kit on my camaro , with coilovers , worked out well , it had detailed instructions
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
mr48chev

He has this one I believe and while the brackets that bolt to the frame are pretty well self explanatory I can find no instructions for fastening the brackets to the axle it's self.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...xle,81185.html

There may be instructions on a different four bar set that show that part.

Looking at that again I am assuming you got the kit without the axle housing with brackets welded to it. Who ever wrote the instructions assumed that everyone would get the kit with the 9 inch housing.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolt-I...Kit,63703.html

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-28-2016 at 12:50 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
jweb

Yes, it's the one without the axle. Even the location for the brackets on the frame aren't that clear since their measurements refer to their aftermarket rails.

I sent them an email but their reply wasn't very helpful.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
mr48chev

This is the TCI 4 link instruction sheet for 47-54 Chevy trucks. You will have to compare measurements and read between the lines a bit when comparing it to your kit but I think that it will give the info you are looking for.

It does give you the angle you want on the brackets compared to the pinion and you will have to compare thier 33 inch center line to the center line of your brackets on the frame after you bolt them on the frame and go from there. In other words match the brackets on the axle to the brackets on the frame.

http://totalcostinvolved.com/wp-cont...ver_4-link.pdf

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
Yes, it's the one without the axle. Even the location for the brackets on the frame aren't that clear since their measurements refer to their aftermarket rails.

I sent them an email but their reply wasn't very helpful.

Looking though about six of their four link rear suspension kits I'd say that they need to get someone who can understand that not everyone is highly experienced in rear suspension installation to rewrite all of the instructions and make them complete.

The TCI instructions are well put together and highly detailed with photos to follow.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
jweb

Thanks for the TCI instructions, I think those will help. Hopefully the Speedway forward brackets line up wit the old leaf spring brackets.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
67 chevelle

If you are useing this kit
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Heavy-...-Kit,8984.html

If you look at its reviews on speedways site , one guy said the bars were very short , too short for him to use , also it does not come with a panard bar ,, you WILL need one unless its a triangulated kit , and no coilovers , its a very "bare bones" kit

This is why I like tci , their kits are pretty complete , and reasonable for what you get , on my 49 5 window I used a chassis engineering ladder bar system [ they are 10 miles from my house] , with coilovers , it was a 3100 truck with some stout leafs in the back , it went from horse and buggy to a sports car instantly,, the change and improvement was instant and drastic , seriously I was afraid to pass people with the truck going the same way on a 4 lane , after , I could scoot in-between cars like a gocart , it had a camaro clip up front
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive

Last edited by 67 chevelle; 01-28-2016 at 04:03 PM.
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
If you are useing this kit
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Heavy-...-Kit,8984.html

If you look at its reviews on speedways site , one guy said the bars were very short , too short for him to use , also it does not come with a panard bar ,, you WILL need one unless its a triangulated kit , and no coilovers , its a very "bare bones" kit
That's not the kit I got. It's the one Mr.48 has a link to, a bolt in for 47-54 trucks. I thought about the TCI, but I wanted to use a triangulated 4 link and QA1 coilovers.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #10
chev3600

I don't have any measurements for you, but I did use the same kit. I had to drill some holes but there were some holes in the frame to initially locate the brackets. At least in my case. Otherwise, nice kit for the money. Rides great with the qa1s.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #11
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev3600 View Post
I don't have any measurements for you, but I did use the same kit. I had to drill some holes but there were some holes in the frame to initially locate the brackets. At least in my case. Otherwise, nice kit for the money. Rides great with the qa1s.
That's what I was hoping, I just wasn't sure without instructions. Now I just need to decide on a rear end. Then I will pull the bed off and see if I can figure it out.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #12
shrek55

What year is the truck ?? Do you have the triangulated kit minus the housing ??
shrek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek55 View Post
What year is the truck ?? Do you have the triangulated kit minus the housing ??
It's a 51 and yes the triangulated kit without the housing.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #14
iowaboynca

I've got the same kit. If i remember the frame brackets align to exising holes on the frame. The axle brackets, both top and bottom will need to be welded on to the axle. Bottoms are straight back and the tops are angled from the frame bracket. The lengths do appear to line up with the orginal axle location based upon on my measurements.

Of note, on your shocks, look how big the eyelets are. The ones I ordered from Summit came with 1/2" eyelets whereas the kit's bracket bar is set up for 5/8". I had to get creative with some sleave bushings inside the bracket.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
I've got the same kit. If i remember the frame brackets align to exising holes on the frame. The axle brackets, both top and bottom will need to be welded on to the axle. Bottoms are straight back and the tops are angled from the frame bracket. The lengths do appear to line up with the orginal axle location based upon on my measurements.

Of note, on your shocks, look how big the eyelets are. The ones I ordered from Summit came with 1/2" eyelets whereas the kit's bracket bar is set up for 5/8". I had to get creative with some sleave bushings inside the bracket.
Thanks for the tips, I think I ordered the 1/2 eyelet shocks also.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #16
shrek55

the one mount goes in the front leaf bracket holes--the other one goes inside the frame with the front lower hole lining up with the back hole you have to drill on the outside bracket
shrek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:29 AM   #17
392Hemi

I have the 4 link from speedway, I'm in the middle of installing it. Seems pretty nice, the kits are really pretty easy. I just finished welding in my coil over cross-member bar. The pieces for the angled bars don't fit quite perfect so I'm doing some cutting and clamping to get them right. I'm just concerned if I can get the rear low enough to suit my needs. Hopefully the coil over kit will lower it my 4" I'm hoping for.
392Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392Hemi View Post
I have the 4 link from speedway, I'm in the middle of installing it. Seems pretty nice, the kits are really pretty easy. I just finished welding in my coil over cross-member bar. The pieces for the angled bars don't fit quite perfect so I'm doing some cutting and clamping to get them right. I'm just concerned if I can get the rear low enough to suit my needs. Hopefully the coil over kit will lower it my 4" I'm hoping for.
Thanks for the information. I got all of the parts now and brought my truck home, so I will be starting soon.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #19
392Hemi

Just got mine all tacked up today. I can help you out if you need I recommend trimming the tab off the bottom of the upper brackets for the diagonal bars. The hole won't really line up with the bolt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2016, 10:24 PM   #20
jweb

Thanks for the pictures and tips. I tore out my old suspension today and the bed wood to make it a little easier. If I had more space I would take the entire bed off.

Looking at your pictures I hope I don't have any trouble with the upper bar brackets on the axle. I'm using an Explorer 8.8 and the housing is offset. I guess I will find out next weekend when I bolt everything in place.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #21
392Hemi

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures and tips. I tore out my old suspension today and the bed wood to make it a little easier. If I had more space I would take the entire bed off.

Looking at your pictures I hope I don't have any trouble with the upper bar brackets on the axle. I'm using an Explorer 8.8 and the housing is offset. I guess I will find out next weekend when I bolt everything in place.
I hope you don't. Most of the time it the axle is offset people will go with a pan hard bar setup. I bet you can make it work, it just won't be symmetrical obviously.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #22
jweb

Quote:
I hope you don't. Most of the time it the axle is offset people will go with a pan hard bar setup. I bet you can make it work, it just won't be symmetrical obviously.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well so much for keeping it simple. If one of the upper bars goes straight towards the housing I'm not sure if I will be able to keep everything aligned properly.

Can you tell me the distance between the upper bars on the axle?
Old 02-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #23
392Hemi

Quote:
Well so much for keeping it simple. If one of the upper bars goes straight towards the housing I'm not sure if I will be able to keep everything aligned properly.

Can you tell me the distance between the upper bars on the axle?
I'll try to remember when I'm out at the shop next. You could always mount one of the brackets on the center housing area up top. Would still be able to keep the triangulation effect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #24
jweb

Quote:
I'll try to remember when I'm out at the shop next. You could always mount one of the brackets on the center housing area up top. Would still be able to keep the triangulation effect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I just put the kit for sale on CL and on here for $300, I just don't want to mount it that way. Since I painted some of the parts black, I can't return it. So if you know anyone in Oregon that needs a 4 link kit, that's $100 off.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 AM   #25
tmoble

I looked at that deal before I went with the Vette deal. I couldn't get around the angle of the upper arms. Almost looks like it would need a panhard bar. I you're going to use a panhard you don't need the angled upper at all. Just run a straight ahead 4-link.

look at the angle of the uppers on a Chevelle rear, this is essentially a stepchild of that. I think they're at 45*.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote