The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
72_C10_Chevy

Tail light wiring

Anyone know how hard it would be to redo the tail light wiring. Really don't want to spend the money on all new wiring for them because it it expensive.
72_C10_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
AJC

Re: Tail light wiring

I redid the rear tail lights on a 78 k10 plow truck with bonded 4-way trailer wire. Cost about $15 bucks for 25 feet but you can probably find it cheaper. 3 of the colors match. I used the white for the backup lights.
  • Right Turn / Stop -> Dark Green
  • Left Turn / Stop -> Yellow
  • Running Lights -> Brown
  • Backup

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  23.6 KB
Old 12-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72_C10_Chevy View Post
Anyone know how hard it would be to redo the tail light wiring. Really don't want to spend the money on all new wiring for them because it it expensive.
The wire that AJC is talking about would be very good to use and inexpensive. If you can take apart the truck (remove lamp assemblies, connectors, etc) enough to get to all the wiring that is causing you problems, you should be able to splice in replacement sections of wire. I recommend getting some heat shrink tubing, and slide it up the wire before making your splice. Twist the stripped wire ends together, and use rosin core 60/40 electric solder and a soldering iron to make a good solid connection that will last the life of your truck. Then slide the heat shrink tubing over the splice and shrink it by carefully holding the soldering iron close to the tubing, or use a heat gun designed for the purpose, or you can use a lighter. If you are not familiar with soldering, find a youtube video about solder splicing wires and practice on some sections of scrap wire. it is a skill that you should be able to acquire easily. If you have sections of wire that you want to bundle neatly, the factory used non-adhesive vinyl tape made for wire harnesses, which you can buy online inexpensive through Amazon.

Just take your time and proceed carefully. Use the wiring diagrams available here in the electrical section of the forum. Post questions back here if you would like further guidance.

I did these types of splice repairs in about a dozen wires on my truck where the wiring was damaged by rats. Some of it was in the section along the frame where the wires go from the cab to the rear lights. I just crawled under the truck and took care of it. I think you will find it is not too difficult.

If you're crawling under the truck to do some of this, don't solder with any part of your body or arms under what you are soldering, because it can drip when molten. Take your time. Wear safety glasses. Don't breath in the fumes. Wash your hands when done.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 12-02-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: clarity
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Tail light wiring

When you say rear wiring harness are you talking behind the wheels? Reason I ask there should be a rubber weather pack connector up inside the drivers side frame where the rear harness disconnects. Should be round and pulls a part.
The picture on the right is of the connector to the bumper and lights. You should have 6 wires coming out of it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
72_C10_Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
When you say rear wiring harness are you talking behind the wheels? Reason I ask there should be a rubber weather pack connector up inside the drivers side frame where the rear harness disconnects. Should be round and pulls a part.
The picture on the right is of the connector to the bumper and lights. You should have 6 wires coming out of it.
Yes . From where it plugs in all the way to the tail lights is all junk.
72_C10_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Tail light wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72_C10_Chevy View Post
Yes . From where it plugs in all the way to the tail lights is all junk.

I suggest take it all out of the truck. Lay it out and cut each wire about 3-4" from the truck connector. Then use the wire of your choice to add in all the bad wire to each light. At each light cut as much factory wire as you can 3-4" back so you have all the colors to match up to the other end. Then reinstall and your good to go.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote