The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #26
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: The (first?) Chevy Diesel was a Dud?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Thanks for the technical info. I am pretty well versed on steel and alloy compositions, I know 4140SPS well. But, what is a 4l60e and the Long form of PCM, Programmable Cumputah Memory? or such?
I think I'm going feed my buddy some cold Molson's Soda the next time we hook up and see if I can help him out by removing his Suburban out of his way. With 22 years between vehicles, I am glad to hear I may use the original 70's trans with a 90's engine.

Rob

Imagination will often carry us to world's that never were. Without it we go nowhere.

Haha, and you've got me wondering what the heck a 4140SPS is, lol

4l60e is an electronically shifted version of the 700r4 transmission. Its far newer, and therefor much more reliable than the old 700r4s were.

PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module. Basically, a PCM controls both the engine and transmission, while an ECM (Electronic Control module) only controls an engine, or other system in the truck.

Those 5.3s are multi-port injected (injector for each cylinder) engines, and use sequential firing (every injector is fired independantly from the others) as compared to the old TPI multiport systems using batch firing (every injector is fired at the same time as the others, once every two engine strokes), so they are by nature way better on gas, and since each cylinder's injector is controlled by the ECM, each cylinder is tuned, not just the entire engine in general

You will need to get the PCM flashed to remove the vehicle anti-theft stuff, and have it work by itself (it works with other ECMs in the truck) without throwing codes all over the place. These engine swaps are getting pretty common, and as such, cheaper to do as well

Last edited by Russell; 02-24-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #27
Tigger

This is all good news, Now I believe the truck is finally going to get some good miles come summer time.
4140 is the grade and contents of a good tool steel. " SPS" means: Stress Proof Steel, It is a good medium carbon steel that can be machined and heat-treated for long wear and durability, depending on the temp you quench it at and the purpose you wish it to perform.
I spent ten years in Ontario's largest Industrial service centre/ Jobbing Shop and sps is a good substitute for generic steel that has little carbon. For example, If you have the notion of making special purpose tools, like body hammers etc. 4140 is the real deal. It is not the highest grade of steel. When colled rolled steel fails, kick it up to sps. There are higher grade steels than sps utilised for stamping and punching operations.
Several years ago I made a collection of body hammers and Dollies (due to their limited supply) out of SPS and they are still going strong and holding up well. There are some images in my yahoo folders if anybody is interested.
Thanks for the great information. Bring on the Suburban, please

Rob Martel

www.robmartel.com
http://photos.yahoo.com/sunbeambob

Last edited by Tigger; 02-24-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #28
ureckme
ureckmefixit2@cox.net

I had an olds cutless with a 5.7 diesel the thing was a rocket and not as noisy as the truck diesel. The car moter has a lot better stuff on it
Crower Custom Grind .462in .486ex
Dyno Test 422hp @ 5600
And it's got a Holley
3.73 Gears
12 Bolt 3.73 w/Posi
700R4 Going In
I'm a Body Man So There!
That's why it's not painted
ureckme is offline   Reply With Quote