The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
ignytrr

Short vs. Long bed

I recently bought a 68 shortbed fleetside as a project, and was curious if there's a difference in value of an original shortbed compared to a shortened longbed?
ignytrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Shyguy

Re: Short vs. Long bed

It really depends on how the long bed was shortened and the buyer.

I myself like an original short bed, but my son shortened a long bed and when he got done it looked just like a shortbed. When he was done shortening it the truck was just as structurely sound as an original short bed.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
70blackfish

I would say its yours, make it how you like and enjoy
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Lee H

IMHO, an original SWB will bring substantially more money than a shortened LWB, even if done properly. I would have no problem buying a shortened LWB and I would also shorten one if I did not already have a SWB and wanted one.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
cdowns

i've seen quite a few shortened longbeds at swapmeets and most of them thier next stop is a recylcle yards dumpster
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
MSHax

There's no real comparison, short beds bring the cash. REAL shortbeds, not chopped. So think of it as
Highest Value to lowest value:
Short Bed
Long Bed
Geo Metro
a Potato
Chopped Long Bed.

Truth be told, it's all perceived value, if the buyer wants it, they'll pay more for it. I actually use my truck as a truck (weird, I know) so the long bed was right for me. I passed up several short beds to find the right long bed.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I am even thinking about doing mine. I can tell you that you will not know it was done when I am finished other than the SPID having the wrong wheel base printed on it.

I would not worry to much on value because it is not a huge difference. If it was a 57 Corvette with fuel injection and a big brake option and you cut the frame up to put wider tires on it, then you have a problem.

If all I did was shorten mine, I don't think it would be worth any more than another $1,000. If it was a factory correct 115 wheel base truck in the same shape, I don't think it would be worth more than another $2,000. It is only worth what someone will pay for it.

What ever you do, never try to pass a conversion of as a true short bed. It does not set well with us truck guys
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Its pretty easy to buy a lwb cut it down and make money selling it. So id say a cut lwb is worth slightly more than a potato around here.

But what do I know I'm a wierdo with a lowered swb who tows and hauls stuff on a regular basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
MSHax

It all depends on the buyer, like if I threw hydraulics and 13" spoke wheels on my truck, I'd probably find 1 person in Kansas that might buy it, but in Los Angeles it'd sell in a heart beat. I can say that in the California Bay Area if you ever go to any car show/good guys show, go find a chopped LWB and hang out by it. You'll hear people steadily talking trash about. I personally would never buy one, and don't know anyone who would. When it comes to the frame, you're dramatically cutting your chance of resale.
"This truck was in an accident, just the fender" = "No problem, I'll buy it"
"This truck was in an accident, the frame got bent" = "Uh..nah, I'll pass"
All-in-all, if you're not looking at resale, I'd say do what ever you want, it's yours. But looking at resale, look around, do some shopping.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Ackattack

I sold my 69 that I cut it down into a SWB and got decent money for it (even with a spray paint paint job)

Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
MSHax

HEY HEY HEY!! Don't go talkin bad about spray paint paint jobs now!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
RManson

While I will agree that if they're done poorly, they aren't worth much more than a potato, if done correctly, you can never tell. Here's mine, it was a longbed and the only thing that clues one in is the boxing I added behind the crossmember. Other than that, you couldn't tell it's been shortened.

I've seen plenty of cars that have sold for good money that had IFS clips scabbed on and other sketchy frame mods so I'll never understand why this long vs. short argument persists. If it's a case of original equipment, that's a different story, but I don't run with the restoration guys, they get a little weird when it comes to changing fuses, let alone actually modifying something to make it better...lol.

Cody Wentz's truck used to be a longbed. Bet you couldn't tell...

I guess it's up to the buyer, a junk truck is a junk truck, regardless of whether it's long or short. But the shortbed would definitely bring more cash.
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote