The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
forestb

how much sound deadener

How many square feet of sound deadener should I order for my 62. I want it up the fire wall, on the ceiling (inside that rectangle), on the floor and behind the gas tank and maybe a little extra for the doors.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:12 AM   #2
Iplay4keepz

Re: how much sound deadener

I purchased 75 sqft for my 63. So far I have done the upper roof panel, roof panel, from the split down on the rear of the cab and the entire floorboards. I have not done the doors yet, but I think I'm going to have plenty left over. You could probably go with 50 sqft, but I'd rather have a little (or maybe a lot) left over. If it makes any difference I went with fatmat, and despite some people's complaints so far I've been quite happy with the quality.
Iplay4keepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
forestb

thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
damnyankee36

I completely over-killed a Camaro by completely covering the interior with FatMat. Kind of hard to do an unbiased comparison to other brands but I was very happy. Still adhering to the body even in Las Vegas heat and no smell either.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
62 Barnfind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplay4keepz View Post
I purchased 75 sqft for my 63. So far I have done the upper roof panel, roof panel, from the split down on the rear of the cab and the entire floorboards. I have not done the doors yet, but I think I'm going to have plenty left over. You could probably go with 50 sqft, but I'd rather have a little (or maybe a lot) left over. If it makes any difference I went with fatmat, and despite some people's complaints so far I've been quite happy with the quality.
Thinking a getting the same stuff to do my 62. The road noise is so loud I barely can hear my stereo going down the road. How good is this stuff?
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Iplay4keepz

While my truck is not on the road quite yet, I can tell you that you can hear hear the difference between a coated panel and one that's just sheet metal. For example: the rear corners (think right below the filler neck) would make a ping sound when struck before. With the fatmat rolled into the corners it makes more of a thud. Overall I am happy with the amout of deadening that it has provided thus far, though I couldn't tell you the exact decible drop from my ear calipers.
Iplay4keepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
Thinking a getting the same stuff to do my 62. The road noise is so loud I barely can hear my stereo going down the road. How good is this stuff?
Fatmat and other adhesive backed products are the 1st step. Their job is to dampen harmonic resonance. Think about a cymbal...after you strike them, they quiet down more quickly when you place your finger on them. Additional noise and heat reduction is achieved by adding jute pad under the carpet. Especially under the seat because most carpet kits only pad the footwells and tranny cover. Take it to the next level (and this is a big one) by filling all unnecessary holes in firewall and cab before anything else! Make sure all rubber grommets and seals are in good shape too.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 10-23-2017 at 11:11 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
forestb

Thanks for all your help guys but I am still wondering how much sound deadener I need to get.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
bennylava

You'll probably have to do measurements of the total area you want to cover, and compare that with how much comes in each kit of Dynamat or whatever brand you go with.

I know you didn't ask but, to do it 100% the right way you'll also lay down a layer of closed cell foam on top of the dynamat, and then a layer of mass loaded vinyl on top of that. Then finally your carpet. That is how to totally kill the sound.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #10
AcampoDave

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ good reading here. Some people cover every square inch of the interior. I personally covered mine in strips and squares strategically placed to cover around 30% of all the larger areas. Remeber, the butyl based stuff dampens harmonics, it does not block sound!! Question: How much of a cymbal do you need to cover with your hand to make it go "tink tink" as opossed to "crash, bang, clang"? Answer: not very much. After a certain point you begin to get diminishing returns. You spend more money and add more weight to the truck just to obtain that extra little bit. If it's worth it to you to blanket the whole cab, then go for it but just remember that most harmonics get dampened with strips and squares. True sound deadening is a series of steps and products that all work together. Edit: the inside of the doors are quite important to dampen too. I covered the inside of them at least 50%. They are a huge flat panel exposed to lots of vibrations.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 10-23-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #11
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ good reading here. Some people cover every square inch of the interior. I personally covered mine in strips and squares strategically placed to cover around 30% of all the larger areas. Remeber, the butyl based stuff dampens harmonics, it does not block sound!! Question: How much of a cymbal do you need to cover with your hand to make it go "tink tink" as opossed to "crash, bang, clang"? Answer: not very much. After a certain point you begin to get diminishing returns. You spend more money and add more weight to the truck just to obtain that extra little bit. If it's worth it to you to blanket the whole cab, then go for it but just remember that most harmonics get dampened with strips and squares. True sound deadening is a series of steps and products that all work together. Edit: the inside of the doors are quite important to dampen too. I covered the inside of them at least 50%. They are a huge flat panel exposed to lots of vibrations.
I see it all the time, people use way too much sound deadening.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
ImpalaJim

personally I like the tin can sound
ImpalaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
bennylava

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
There is only one problem with that. There could be areas that don't get covered, that still resonate. To make 100% sure you killed ALL resonance, you'd have to coat everything with the deadener. If you did decibel tests, you'd probably find that vehicles with targeted and less coverage, made slightly more sound than those that coated the entire inside.

Then again, you could probably test for it and find those areas and target those as well with deadener. I don't know how you'd go about it, but you should be able to test any given area and see how much it resonates. If it added up to be something that would produce sound when going down the road, coat it with dynamat. My guess would be that few people that target specific areas do this. But that way, you could still skip a lot of areas that aren't going to be producing any noise. But still cover everything that will. People who skip a lot are probably still getting some noises from a few places. Its just that they don't notice much cause they covered the main parts and it makes a big difference.

So that would be the reason I would just coat nearly everything. I want maximum sound damping. Sometimes I like to drive for a long time and it gets tiresome listening to that racket. Plus if you have a high quality sound system, it makes it sound so much better.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
forestb

If anyone cares. After doing some rounding up measuring and some rounding up calculations I figure I need around 56 square feet.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #15
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
If anyone cares. After doing some rounding up measuring and some rounding up calculations I figure I need around 56 square feet.
that's 36.96 lbs just in case you were wondering. Dynamat weight .66 lbs /sq. ft. according to a quick search.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #16
forestb

I was under the impression that the Dynamat would serve as a heat shield also that is the reason they sell the tape for the gaps. If I only cover part of the floor I don't think it will serve that purpose.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #17
bennylava

Quote:
I was under the impression that the Dynamat would serve as a heat shield also that is the reason they sell the tape for the gaps. If I only cover part of the floor I don't think it will serve that purpose.
I think the tape for the gaps is also to keep dust and grit from getting down in the gaps. Eventually, that dust and grit will work to undermine the bond at the edges. Once that starts happening, its all downhill from there. It will start to lose some of its sound dampening capabilities. Granted this would take years, but eventually it would happen. Unless you live on a dirt road or something, in which case it would be sooner rather than later. The tape would stop this.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #18
rvrfoot

I need to do this soon.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #19
1hihum

I did a combo of dynamat and dynapad. I covered the whole floor and back wall with dynamat as we as the door panels (but not the doors themselves). Then I added two dynapads (two covered almost the entire floor). The combination of the two has been great! It was expensive sure, but at least now I can have a conversation inside the truck...even on the freeway! ����
1hihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #20
T2vigil

Dynamat is a great product and as stated is a bit expensive. 72 square feet of dynamat is $337. I have been looking into Lizard Skin. Three gallons will cover 56 square feet. If you purchase 3 gallons plus the application kit it will about $350 and that includes 82.50 for the application kit. If you have a compressor it might be worth looking into.
T2vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
forestb

Can I ask why you went with bynapad instead of dynaliner? I am not questioning your decision I am just trying to figure out which one I want to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hihum View Post
I did a combo of dynamat and dynapad. I covered the whole floor and back wall with dynamat as we as the door panels (but not the doors themselves). Then I added two dynapads (two covered almost the entire floor). The combination of the two has been great! It was expensive sure, but at least now I can have a conversation inside the truck...even on the freeway! ����
Old 11-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #22
dieseldawg142

Quote:
you should be right in the neighborhood there. my truck is a square crew, bought 100 sq ft, had about 7 or 8 sq ft left. that was doing 100% of the floor, 100% of the back of the cab, up the firewall, and inside the doors and under the door panels on the outside of the doors. as my truck is a custom deluxe, i have no headliner so did not put any up there, just pieces under the roof braces. i also put closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl down on top of the fatmat, then the jute pad, and a vinyl floor.
difference is like night and day, especially with a bb and 3" pipes...
all in for everything was just over $500
replacing window felts and stripping really does wonders too
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #23
1hihum

Quote:
Can I ask why you went with bynapad instead of dynaliner? I am not questioning your decision I am just trying to figure out which one I want to use.
After doing some reading and research, I felt it was the better choice for noise. My understanding (from what I've read) is that the Dynaliner is more geared towards heat reduction than noise. Heat was a concern, but not the primary one. It has been great! Noise was greatly reduced and it worked well as an under carpet padding. When I got the truck there was no sense in even trying to listen to the radio or talk to someone in the truck whenever I hit the freeway. Now it's very comfortable to talk and listen to the radio.
1hihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #24
corvettejim1968

i bought 2 100 sq ft rolls of Fat Mat Rat Trap its 80 mill thick compared to Dynamat at just 50 mill and the Rat Trap is tackier than the Dynamat as well.

and a final note much cheaper. I buy it on eBay.
https://coolc10.com/

Last edited by corvettejim1968; 11-23-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote