The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
sam's 72

Post LONGHORNMAIL!!!!!!!!!!

You ask me a while back to get you a measurement on a drive shaft. I am sorry I couldn't get back with you sooner, I been dealing with my dad a lot lately, he has brain cancer. Any way, the post that I had posted was on one piece shafts. The guy I use said he can put a 1 piece shaft in my truck, 305 engine short tail shaft TH350, you ask me what lenght would the shaft be? I talked to him today, and he said that he builds shaft (ONE PIECE) Up to 73 inches long, center to center. I didn't ask him how long the shaft has to be for our trucks, cause I didn't take my truck up to him. But looking at my shaft, it would have to be about 71 1/2 inches. I hope this helps, I have a shaft that is out of a 78 chevy truck it will not work, I think you could get it to bolt in, but I don't think the yoke will go into the tranny far enough for travel, like when you go over bumbs or what ever. I hope this make since to you, it is kind of hard explaining things when you here typeing, but if you have any other question let me know.
Sam
Old 04-03-2002, 11:37 AM   #2
69 longhorn

Sam, i think that was me that asked about shaft lenght. I had thought about a 1 pc for the longhorn,& talked with a local shop. They told me the same thing.....they could go 73" on a 4 " diameter shaft. Unless I go with a longer tailshaft,I cant do that with the longhorn,even with the engine setback,the shaft will be longer than 73". It doesnt sound like a 1 pc will be a problem on a 127" wb truck though(even with a short tail hydro)......69 longhorn.