The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
sacustomcycle

Narrowed rear end question

I've got a 67 short wide and I'm getting ready to narrow the rear end on it. I would like to find out from those of you that have tubbs and narrowed rear ends, what is the overall width you have from outside of the tire to the outside of the other tire? My bed isn't together, so its hard for me to get an accurate measurement. I may have to bolt it together just to get the width.

I'll be running Sportsman S/R tires (33X22X15) on 15" wide wheels. On previous cars I've done, I took the fender width minus 3" and its worked out good.

I appreciate any info I can get and welcome any tips or tricks.
sacustomcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Outlaw72
Hay Team!!

Re: Narrowed rear end question

I wouldn't narrow it at all ... I would just cut the wells out and stuff a larger tire under there. You should be able to get plenty of meat under there. That is if you have the trailing arm suspension?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
djracer

Mine is a couple inches narrower than stock. If I get a chance I'll try to air up the slicks and get you a width. Its in the trailer resting while I help a buddy bag his truck!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Couch
Daily Driver

im bumping this post back from the dead, to see if anyone can shed some light on this unanswered question. it would be of help to me too now as well

nitrous...the equal opportunity destroyer.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacustomcycle View Post
I've got a 67 short wide and I'm getting ready to narrow the rear end on it....... so its hard for me to get an accurate measurement........ I'll be running Sportsman S/R tires (33X22X15) on 15" wide wheels.
I am in the "middle" of doing the same thing. Like OUTLAW said you can get "larger" tires under your C10 .... When I started measuring I was surprised to find out that with tubs & the correct amount of backspacing the size of the wheel/tire combo that would fit under a C10 with coil springs & trailing arms suspension is MUCH LARGER than I imagined.

But NOT "33 x 22's " unless you use wheels with little back spacing that allow the tire to stick out of the fenders....way out.

After initial measuring I mounted the wheels on the truck (I have 2 sets... one street ...one strip) to help me SEE the entire picture. This is the best way to go because it allows you to get exact measurements and at the same time SEE what fits or what needs to be done to make it fit.

It's a BIG decision.... to go to BIGGER tires using tubs & wheels with lots of back spacing or to go with HUGE tires which in addition to tubs will require doing a back-half (narrowed frame & rearend).
Attached Images

"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 06-22-2008 at 07:26 AM.
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Couch
Daily Driver

ok well my question becomes with the frame rails remaining where they are. and say i was to narrow the rearend an inch or two from stock even though its not necessary what tire and wheel is the biggest that can fit between the frame and not stick out past the fender,from what ive got so far you can clear a 14''wide wheel ona stock rearend if you just get the wells outta the way.but how much room is left to play with?

Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Ont67shortbox

my tires are 31x12 with an 8 inch backspacing on the rim.rear is stock 55 inches flange to flange.I want a32x14 wheel tucked in the tubs.I am thinking I need a 4 inch back space with 4 inches off each side making my rear 47 inches flange to flange.Will also add F**d ends to get rid of the C clips,hope this helps .Brian
Ont67shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
djracer

I run a 33 x 10.5w tire. I think they are the only way to go. I can buy them with 5 to 10 passes for 100.00 a set! I have a 10 inch wheel now but I would like to have a 12 or 14 inch wheel.

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
Couch
Daily Driver

well the deal is i scored on some 32 x 14's. and im wondering what ive got to do to stuff em in there.ive already gotten rid of the coil springs to put coil overs in. just wondering if i can make em fit on a 14" wide wheel on a stock rearend. if i have to i can take a few off eack side to get the right offset and make it fit right

Old 06-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
djracer

it shouldn't be a problem!

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
Old 06-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
ok well my question becomes with the frame rails remaining where they are. and say i was to narrow the rearend an inch or two from stock even though its not necessary what tire and wheel is the biggest that can fit between the frame and not stick out past the fender,from what ive got so far you can clear a 14''wide wheel ona stock rearend if you just get the wells outta the way.but how much room is left to play with?
First-off... I am NOT an expert on this subject....nor have I done or even thought of doing something like this before. Now that I have that "disclaimer" outta the way.... all I am sharing here comes from my "recent" tape measuring times, advice given to me here on the Chevy Truck Forum and from what I have seen at local swap meets, Craigs List & eBay.

Yes, a 14" wheel would probably fit.... a 12 incher for sure. I was surprised to hear that from members of this forum. But like you when I got out the tape measure & crawled under our C10 I found this to be true.

The BIGGEST concern is getting the right amount of back spacing. The wheel in the picture above has 5 1/2 inches of backspacing. As you can see it needs to come in a long way. Especially if you want the wheels/tires to be "completely" under/inside the fender.

Another piece of the puzzle is that it seems that most 14" wide wheels (at least the ones I have seen) do NOT have that much back spacing. The WELD wheels I just bought have 7" of backspacing & along with the 32" x 15" racing slicks will still stick out of the fenders somewhat.

Although I prefer to have the wheels/tires under/in the fenders having them poking out of the fenders is OK if you don't mind the "look" or if the cops in your area will not hassle you about the tires sticking out of the fenders.
Attached Images

Where were You in '62 ?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I don't know how much this is going to help, but,,,,, on my 66 fleetside. I ordered a 9" housing and axles that were:
39-1/4" axle flange to axle flange. On the 9" there is a 2-1/2" standout of the axle on each end of the housing so -5" is 34-1/4" housing end to housing end. That was to fit a set of MT 33x22.50-15's on a set of 15x15 Convo Pro's with 5" backspace.

Here's a inside the bed look at how they fit

here's a shot from the back with the Hooser QT's

I'm going to guess that there isn't going to be a lot of difference between the 66 fleet and the 69, BUT it's your $'s so measure with caution. Once yu order a housing and axles,, you own it. Alston and Mark Williams both have good pages to measure all your reference diminsions to order a housing, or axles to fit your narrowed housing.

for what that may be worth...

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 06-23-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
djracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I don't know how much this is going to help, but,,,,, on my 66 fleetside. I ordered a 9" housing and axles that were:
39-1/4" axle flange to axle flange. On the 9" there is a 2-1/2" standout of the axle on each end of the housing so -5" is 34-1/4" housing end to housing end. That was to fit a set of MT 33x22.50-15's on a set of 15x15 Convo Pro's with 5" backspace.

Here's a inside the bed look at how they fit

here's a shot from the back with the Hooser QT's

I'm going to guess that there isn't going to be a lot of difference between the 66 fleet and the 69, BUT it's your $'s so measure with caution. Once yu order a housing and axles,, you own it. Alston and Mark Williams both have good pages to measure all your reference diminsions to order a housing, or axles to fit your narrowed housing.

for what that may be worth...
that looks sweet.

I would like to have a narrower fab housing and a wider wheel on my junk!

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
Old 06-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Marv D

WHAT FOR Kevin!!! Man your tossing the skinnies in the air and pulling 1.3x sixtys,, I'd say it sure as heck ain't broke!!!
I just bought another set of Hoosier 33x22.50-15 QT Pros for the truck, and a set of Hoosier 32x14 -15 slicks for the Nova,,, OUCH and double OUCH..... I wish I could pull 1.3x sixty's on a 10.5w!!!!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
...... BUT it's your $'s so measure with caution. Once you order a housing and axles, you own it.

Alston and Mark Williams both have good pages to measure all your reference diminsions to order a housing, or axles to fit your narrowed housing..... for what that may be worth...
Right on the money Marv.... at first glance figuring this out looks like a simple operation initially.... but there are a lot of variables that MUST be taken into consideration that might not come to mind at first. It's NOT just a simple matter of subtracting the difference in tire tread width from the stock length rear axle housing.

Like the Alston & Williams "how to order a housing diagrams" I used a similiar one found on the AutoWeld ChassisWorkswebpage. (See attached diagram) They also have lots of "how-to" pictures which helps "first timers" feel more "at home" with a project like this and also roll cages, floors, etc.
I NEED all the help I can get!!!! HA!!!
Attached Images

Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 06-23-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #16
djracer

Quote:
WHAT FOR Kevin!!! Man your tossing the skinnies in the air and pulling 1.3x sixtys,, I'd say it sure as heck ain't broke!!!
I just bought another set of Hoosier 33x22.50-15 QT Pros for the truck, and a set of Hoosier 32x14 -15 slicks for the Nova,,, OUCH and double OUCH..... I wish I could pull 1.3x sixty's on a 10.5w!!!!

Thanks but I won't be happy till its in the lower 1.2's! The new bullet should help in that department. I like the look of a wheel with very little offset and I love the look of a fab housing.

I can't speak for Strange and Mark Wiliiams but Moser 35 spline axles can be shortened! I had a stock width rear in a 67 camaro then backhalfed the car later with the same axles!

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
Old 06-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #17
Couch
Daily Driver

thanks a lot for all the help. now marv, you stuck that tire and a 15 inch wheel on a fleetside. in the pic i cant really tell but did you bring the rails in at all or are they where thay woulda been width wise from factory? cause thats exactly what i want outta mine

Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
71Dragtruck

Mine is stock frame rails c-notched and 4-linked, rear end is a fab'd 9" 58-1/4 flange to flange, 15x12" rims 7-1/2 back space with 31x16.5/15 ET streets. Truck is mini tubbed about 3/4 to a 1" from the frame rail and the back tires fit inside the fenderwell. Will post up some pics so you can see how much they tuck in and how far the tires are from the inner tub when I pick it up from my chassis builder hopefully this coming Mon.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #19
Couch
Daily Driver

ok and it looks like the stock one i have is 61.5'' wheel to wheel.i think. its dark out and thats what i came up with. so could get away with this wheel and tire combo. will post pics when i try it all out. now to have some old rallys made up....

Last edited by Couch; 06-24-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
Marv D

Couch, the 2x3 Alston frame rails are grafted in just inside the factory rails. In fact, that's where I attached them, to the inside of the frame rail on each side just behind the cab. My frame rails are 30" wide (outside to outside) and I have 1-1/2" clearance between the tire, and the wheel opening lip (not rolled or trimmed) Is just under 3" from the outside face of the wheel opening.

hope that helps

Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
Couch
Daily Driver

helps a ton,thanks marv. im gonna see what all i can get done