The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2022, 09:33 PM   #1
70c10-08

Question To powder or not to powder?

To powder coat or not to powder coat? That is the question. I work at a powder coating facility and, get paid to powder my own stuff. Should I powder coat my frame and assorted Hardware? Or should I just paint them instead? Is there any advantages besides getting paid to work on my own stuff? Is there any part of my truck that I should have powder coated over getting it painted? I'm wanting my whole truck to eventually look exactly like it did when she left Janesville, Wisconsin in December of 1969 bound for Hastings, Nebraska.
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
jocko

Re: To powder or not to powder?

I don't know but is your company hiring?

I wouldn't do it just because you're getting paid to do it (but seriously, how does that work?) - I'd decide which way to go knowing you can clearly pc for less $ than the rest of us. Personally, if you're gonna drive it, I'd paint. If more a show truck or won't be driven a lot, pc might be ok. I only mention that because paint is easier to touch up when scratched, chipped. I would not pc hardware - recommend black phosphate treatment or something like that. My 2 cents only, depends on your situation and intended use for the truck - and your employment scenario is indeed a unique one that might make pc'ing a pretty low cost option.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:15 PM   #3
70c10-08

I guess I should have mentioned that I live a quarter mile at least from the nearest paved Road so I have been thinking about doing the paint route because of that reason. I got my factory style wheels pc'd last year and I only had to wait 2 and a half weeks because my employer did not have enough white on hand for me pc my wheels. I've got co-workers all the time that bring in grill guards for trucks or wrought iron patio furniture.

As for employment, nobody wants to work at a powder coating facility in Nebraska. The paint line alone is supposed to have eight people but as long as I've been there we've had no more than five and that's with Summer help from high school students. We mainly build cabinets for computer servers or, we are putting together rotor assemblies for Claas Combines aside from Powder Coating.
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:56 PM   #4
jimijam00

If you want it to "look exactly like it did when she left Janesville, Wisconsin in December of 1969", powder coating is the wrong thing to do. But being a professional that gets paid to powder coat his own stuff, you already knew that.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:38 AM   #5
Accelo

IMHO " living a quarter mile at least from the nearest paved Road" is the best argument to powder coat I have heard. Yes you will have to touch up paint where as p/c will last and last. As you know, but many others do not, there is even a highly durable p/c. I used it for the inner side of the inner fenders.

Some advantages also relate to the environment. Not only doesn't release hydrocarbons into the environment it doesn't do it twice when it has to be repainted.
I can do my own powder coating for the medium and smaller items. I believe it would cost more to clean a paint gun than the powder costs. In your case it will save hundreds of dollars.

If you want concourse stock you would paint the frame with the asphalt based paint the factory used and trailer it. Their is a reason why their are not any painted frames left, even in AZ. It's the cheapest stuff you can coat something with and still call it paint.

I am a big fan of powder coating. If the factory had used it rusty frames would be nonexistent.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

In your case, since it's a driver you take on unpaved roads daily and can do it for so cheap, I'd powder coat it. There is more than one reason to powder coat. It can be done to a show vehicle to get every nook and cranny coated as smooth and shiny as possible, but it can also be done just to be durable. Like dirt bike and race car frames

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-20-2022 at 08:22 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #7
LS short box

Couple things about powder. Powder loves a sand blasted surface. Powder needs a somewhat rough surface to really adhere.
Also depending on the the part you are powder coating knock the sharp edges off the part.
If powder is going to fail its on a sharp edge.
Pick a color of powder the you can match with touch up paint.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #8
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Couple things about powder. Powder loves a sand blasted surface. Powder needs a somewhat rough surface to really adhere.
Also depending on the the part you are powder coating knock the sharp edges off the part.
Good point, but he may know this since he gets paid to powder coat his own stuff.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:20 AM   #9
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I agree with this, PC on a frame that's going to see gravel rain and mud is inviting trouble later on. Personally, I'd go with something like the POR-15 products for two reasons, it's tougher than the PC, and it bonds to the surface of the steel. There are several "Chassie Saver" paint products that will outperform powder coat.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:05 AM   #10
May70

I haven't been impressed with the one experience ive had with a PC frame. That said, some attributed that to bad prep. Given that you're somehow going to get paid to do it and you're the person doing the work (ie you know it was done right), sounds like a no brainer. Like previously mentioned though, there are a LOT of sharp edges to knock down...

Hardware I would buy new grade 8 where feasible and use a black oxide kit on the ones you need to re-use). I wouldn't PC hardware.

Side note:
Some say you cant touch up powder coat, I've seen that statement 100 times. How exactly can you not touch it up? Does PC not sand? Paint just needs a mechanical bond.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:47 AM   #11
Jason Banks

The first truck and half the second I rebuilt, I powdercoated everything. Now I paint everything with SPI Epoxy and Topcoat with Medallion Rubberseal MRS-4200 satin black.

Powdercoat chips way too easy and I can lay a much more consistent texture with the MRS-4200. The added cost and convenience of having someone else powdercoat is not worth it to me.

That being said. Every production part I have made at work gets powdercoat. It's great for that.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #12
1967-C10

I have restored several frames, I have found the POR15 works the best for the DIY. at home garage mechanic. it also has proven very tough over several years.
I really like POR 15 it can be applied by brush, and self levels, leaving no brush strokes.
1967-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #13
Accelo

Jason:
Thanks for the info on the Medallion Rubberseal. It is a "new to me" product.
Sounds like a great option. POR-15 is another option that I could have done in my shop as it requires no spraying. Many of my friends use this option with great results.

I am unable to spray paint in my shop, so the frame has to go somewhere to get cleaned/finished.
Just so happens getting it blasted and painted was more expensive than the Powder Coating shop that did the work. Portland Powder Coating is where my frame was done.
Where they really shined was on the front cross-member. It was oil soaked like they all are. They cooked the part in a 900 deg oven. All the petroleum products get backed off. Then they blast and coat. The interior of the cross-member looks just like the outside. Difficult to duplicate with spray paint. Typical paint and/or sandblast shops do not have this ability in house while many powder coating shops do.

To the original poster point, to paint or powder coat? Powder coating the frame seems like the best option for him. It costs a lot of money to restore a truck and if you can powder coat for no cost it would be the top option in my book.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote