The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
Reggler

'72 C10 Suburban Ambulance

Hello all, been lurking for a few weeks now. I picked up a 1972 C10 Suburban, former ambulance out of south dakota. Story goes that 10 years ago it was decommissioned, and then was the P/O daily for the past 3 years in Minnesota.
It currently has a bone stock 350, 4bbl, with a th350, and I believe a 10bolt and 3:73 posi rear, coil spring rear. It'll be used as a weekend warrior for my metal art hobby, fun driver, and maybe see some car shows. For the interior I plan on finding some late model suburban seats for the front and middle rows, a giant center console for storage, cup holders, holster, maybe a display of some sort; making a wooden frame to hold my art in place in the far back, adding a radio and a bunch of sound, some accent lights so I can actually see in there and just tinkering or fixing some small issues. Under the hood it is getting flowtech headers{just got} and Edelbrock perf rpm intake[laying around], and either a Holley 4160[laying around] or some edlebrock carb. Definitely fixing the A/C, has front and rear air and is missing the compressor. I am keeping the overall ambulance look, I even want to find some LED lights where the warning lights on the roof use to be.
Future plans are either vortec 350, or LS swap. Either way, I want overdrive and possibly EFI of some sort. And air ride, I like the look of that.
Hopefully everyone can view the pics, I have them on fb and I'm too lazy today to host them somewhere right now.

Reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: '72 C10 Suburban Ambulance

-
That is a really nice start, and a wise choice to keep it driveable while you work on it. Keep us posted on the progress.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
flashed

Wow ,I like it and would love to own it .Im in to see more and would love to see some of your Art work.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Mr. D

Very cool rig. Lots of potential there!
Looks like very little rust too!
It might be kinda cool to put some "off-road" style lights on the top roof extension to resemble early ambulance lights. (just a thought).
I'll be interested in seeing your progress.
00 BMW 325 (Daily driver)
09 BMW M3
18 GMC Acadia (Wife's daily driver)
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Valarius_Starchaser

Man whoever let that out of this states in trouble! Haha all joking aside cool rig I'm in to follow along
Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Wicked cool!
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Reggler

Thanks guys! I've only driven it a few miles when I first got it, and with my plans, I'm throwing the checkbook at it before I drive it again. But it's mostly all for things that need to be replaced anyways.
The rust is the rockers in the door jambs, and behind each rear wheel. The left side looks like it had a blow out and crinkled the panel up. I plan on hitting everything with por-15 or the like, here before winter. Then undercoat it. I want to lizard skin the inside as much as I can that is hidden under carpet or behind panels.
It has a wooden rear floor, and I plan on sanding it down and staining it. Need to make some panels for the roof in the back and want to go with something wood grain as well.
Definitely a looker though.
Reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
pwdcougar

Very cool. Nice find!

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote