The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
TA_C10

Hidden hitch with flush mount license plate bracket

So they sell these flush mount license plate bracket for our trucks now that raises the license plate up to be flush with bottom of bumper. Anybody use one with a hidden hitch and flip down license plate bracket? I'm wondering if it will clear the bumper?? Or can we turn the flip bracket upside down?

I have the hidden hitch, and the flip bracket, but I haven't ordered the license plate bumper box yet. And I don't want to get it wrong and waste money... Hopefully someone else has thought of this and was successful...

Thanks in advance.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:42 PM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: Hidden hitch with flush mount license plate bracket

Put one on my 72 SWB 4x4 years ago and used a 69 Camaro license plate bracket that I got out of the wrecking yard
Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
Smitty

Mine is from 70’s Chevy. Maybe a Chevelle? Works great.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:02 AM   #4
Smitty

I’ll take a picture and post it tomorrow. And you can see how it looks.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
TA_C10

Sounds great Smitty thanks. Flush mount right? https://www.brotherstrucks.com/1967-...tinfo/FLPB787/

"It's only money".
Old 12-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
Smitty

Here"s a picture of mine. Not sure where I got the license mount that's spring loaded.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
TA_C10

Thanks for the pics Smitty. But that's not what I'm looking for. Your using the stock style "license plate box" with "flip down license plate bracket".

I'm asking about the "flush mount license plate box" along with same flip bracket you have. The "flush" part of the box raises the license plate up to be flush with bottom of bumper. But because of this the plate won't clear the top of bumper to flip down, but, I'm thinking if you turn the flip bracket upside down so it flips up, instead of down, then maybe it will clear enough to get your tongue in the hitch.

See the link to flush box above.

"It's only money".
Old 12-18-2020, 03:08 PM   #8
Smitty

I would guess that your idea would work. Make sure that the goose neck that you use with the receiver gets you out to at least where the current ball is. Also you might want to fabricate a small tab extending out from the bottom to ease the pivoting of the plate. Mine had some rust, but nothing in comparison to what your pictures show. Think about a 350 HO crate motor to solve my issues in that department. Good luck! Smitty
Old 12-18-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
TA_C10

That tab is a great idea. Prob do that. If nobody sees this post that has maybe already done this I may not have any choice but to just go for it. If I need to fab it up a little too make it all work that's fine I guess... I'm ready for something to be both cool and "just work" out of the box.... That's The name of the game though, custom = fab work...

"It's only money".
Old 12-20-2020, 03:25 AM   #10
SCOTI

The flush mount plate will likely be an issue. I recall the hitch receiver tube being very close to the bottom of the 'box' on these. The flush mount set-ups cut off around 1.5" from the looks of it which might have the two even w/each other. Very close.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The flush mount plate will likely be an issue. I recall the hitch receiver tube being very close to the bottom of the 'box' on these. The flush mount set-ups cut off around 1.5" from the looks of it which might have the two even w/each other. Very close.
Yeah, the box is moved up to be flush with bottom of bumper(1 and 3/4"). Which is what I want. I think I am going to go for it. Just mocked up my flip plate bracket with a plate on it and setup to swing up instead of down. I tested the flip up capability with it being tucked and I think it will flip high enough to work. I may have to lower the plate on the flush mount box just a tad(might hang just a little bit lower that bumper, but were talking 1/2" at most, which I think will look much better than the stock hanging 1 and 3/4" lower than bumper. It also looks like flush mount won't cover the tow hook rings built into the hitch, but the truck is low enough you will never see them because of the angle you will view them from. But even if they do stick below the tag I don't care, won't be enough to be an eye sore.

The the hole I will cut in the flush box will most likely be a U shape hole out of the bottom since the box will be flush, or maybe even just a tad bit higher than the hitch, but again, you won't see that with truck lowered.

"It's only money".
Old 12-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
layinrocker65

On my squarebody, I use the flip down bracket in the flip up orientation like your talking about. Had to buy a longer shank tow ball mount since the plate was a little in the way.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Yeah, the box is moved up to be flush with bottom of bumper(1 and 3/4"). Which is what I want. I think I am going to go for it. Just mocked up my flip plate bracket with a plate on it and setup to swing up instead of down. I tested the flip up capability with it being tucked and I think it will flip high enough to work. I may have to lower the plate on the flush mount box just a tad(might hang just a little bit lower that bumper, but were talking 1/2" at most, which I think will look much better than the stock hanging 1 and 3/4" lower than bumper. It also looks like flush mount won't cover the tow hook rings built into the hitch, but the truck is low enough you will never see them because of the angle you will view them from. But even if they do stick below the tag I don't care, won't be enough to be an eye sore.

The the hole I will cut in the flush box will most likely be a U shape hole out of the bottom since the box will be flush, or maybe even just a tad bit higher than the hitch, but again, you won't see that with truck lowered.

My dually flips up. My 68 & 74 were the same as the dually. If my plan works, the '99 will be set-up similarly.

That being said, my concern is you possibly would need to remove all the box material under the receiver. I guess it could go either way & the plate might be flush w/o having to notch the box completely out.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
Had to buy a longer shank tow ball mount since the plate was a little in the way.
I'm thinking I will need a longer hitch as well, and this is a good thing anyways keeps trailer away from truck a little extra distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That being said, my concern is you possibly would need to remove all the box material under the receiver. I guess it could go either way & the plate might be flush w/o having to notch the box completely out.
I'm assuming the bottom of the box will be flush with the bottom edge of square end of receiver which will mean I would have to remove the material(of box) in a U shape, meaning there will be NO material underneath the receiver. What problems do you think this would cause? If it ends up being too weak I will build a bracket of some kind to re-inforce is what I am thinking.

"It's only money".
Old 12-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
I'm thinking I will need a longer hitch as well, and this is a good thing anyways keeps trailer away from truck a little extra distance.

I'm assuming the bottom of the box will be flush with the bottom edge of square end of receiver which will mean I would have to remove the material(of box) in a U shape, meaning there will be NO material underneath the receiver. What problems do you think this would cause? If it ends up being too weak I will build a bracket of some kind to re-inforce is what I am thinking.

Correct. These set-ups require a longer hitch. The only issue would be strength. As you indicated & my suspicion is the box will be flimsy. That may/may not matter.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #16
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Here"s a picture of mine. Not sure where I got the license mount that's spring loaded.
Smitty, what brand is your hitch receiver? Did you modify it to sit behind the license plate, or is that the way it was made? Did you have to drill holes in the chassis to mount it?
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:10 AM   #17
Smitty

The body man who did my truck was a great metal-smith and fabricator. This was fabricated from a pos laying around the shop. Not sure about how it is mounted. But am pretty sure it was drilled and mounted to the frame. I will look tomorrow. Here are the pictures I have of it while being modified.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2020, 12:16 AM   #18
Smitty

This is what it started out as!
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2020, 12:21 AM   #19
pjmoreland

Quote:
The body man who did my truck was a great metal-smith and fabricator. This was fabricated from a pos laying around the shop. Not sure about how it is mounted. But am pretty sure it was drilled and mounted to the frame. I will look tomorrow. Here are the pictures I have of it while being modified.
Very cool. I'd like to have a hitch receiver, but a visible one just doesn't look right on our trucks.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:21 AM   #20
pjmoreland

Quote:
This is what it started out as!
Quite the transformation. You have a beautiful truck
Old 12-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #21
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Very cool. I'd like to have a hitch receiver, but a visible one just doesn't look right on our trucks.
You can get these everywhere now PJ. LMCTruck, Brotherstrucks, CPP, Classic Industries.

Here is a link to classic industries hidden hitch. All of them usually bolt to existing holes in frame.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/hth6772.html

You can also get the license plate box and the flip down license plate bracket from all these vendors as well. The box just bolts to the sport bumpers stock locations. You will have to cut the hole in box to gain access to the receiver. The flip bracket is bolted through the box in either stock holes or modified like we've been talking about on this thread (Brotherstrucks flush mount box).

"It's only money".
Old 12-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #22
pjmoreland

Quote:
You can get these everywhere now PJ. LMCTruck, Brotherstrucks, CPP, Classic Industries.

Here is a link to classic industries hidden hitch. All of them usually bolt to existing holes in frame.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/hth6772.html

You can also get the license plate box and the flip down license plate bracket from all these vendors as well. The box just bolts to the sport bumpers stock locations. You will have to cut the hole in box to gain access to the receiver. The flip bracket is bolted through the box in either stock holes or modified like we've been talking about on this thread (Brotherstrucks flush mount box).

Thank you!
Old 01-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #23
TA_C10

Update

Flush Mount box arrived. It's going to work. Pics coming soon.

"It's only money".
Old 01-06-2021, 02:53 PM   #24
TA_C10

Well I have a rough mock-up of it. Still need to clean up my cuts around the trailer hitch hole. But it works. I'm happy with it. I will need an extended hitch receiver. And I am still deciding whether to use the stock style license plate light or go with the lights that came with kit(lights you see in my pics). It works great. There is plenty of room for plate to flip up and see/access the hitch to install the receiver.

One thing I am disappointed in however, is HartFab sells this box and I never found it when searching for a "license plate box for 67-72" on the web. He is selling same box with very little difference. And it's only $75 compared to the $99 at brotherstrucks. I would rather buy from a local member on here to support them.

https://hart-fab.com/products/67-72-...ense-plate-box

3 main steps I did to modify this box:

#1 = Drilled new holes for flip bracket. They are a little wider than stock holes for license plate.
#2 = Cut access hole in box for hitch receiver to insert.
#3 = Had to cut the 2 top mount bumper license box holes off so the flip kit would swing up far enough for access.

If you wanted to modify a stock box you probably only need to add material to the sides of box to raise it up behind bumper and drill 2 side holes for mounting. You can keep your OE license plate light assembly. Rest of my steps would still apply unless your not doing the hidden hitch.

My angle with camera is bad here, not centered, but again I do need to finalize these cuts and spray a little paint to complete. I was cutting small amounts at a time till I get it where I want it. OH, and the box does not lose any stability with this cut. Not enough to make any difference anyway. The box doesn't do anything but hold the license plate anyway.

Not sure if I am going to use these lights from the kit, but they are just tucked under the plate for now. Later pics show them working.

Here you can see the tabs I have cut off of bumper so the plate swings out far enough. It still locks out for ease of use too which is awesome.

Here is a short receiver installed. The plate will fold down completely with receiver installed I just didn't take a pic of this. With an extended receiver I will be able to flip the receiver upside down since the truck is so low. Keep the trailer up high enough.

Back of box view. You can tell here how the stock light lamp would still work on top if you want to go that route.

Few extra pics. Some I took as it started to get dark so lighting was temporarily installed to see how the kit lights work.

"It's only money".
Old 01-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #25
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

now come to my house and do one for me LOL

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote